Red Tide & Port Canaveral

geocruiser

I posted this on HAL & RCL board too. But I know that Carnival leave from the Space Coast, so I thought you might know if the red tide is at the port too.

Just wondering is any one on this board who lives or has cruised from Florida' Space Coast is being affected by the Red Tides. We live in Indian Harbour Beach (a few miles north of Melbourne Beach & seven miles south of Cocoa Beach) . The Red Tide is making lots of people cough, including my husband and me. At Cocoa Beach the dead fish have been washing a shore. O course, Port Canaveral is right there too. Has any one heard of people leaving on (RCL, Carnival, Disney) from Port Canaveral having trouble with coughing or breathing? Are any other Florida port having trouble with red tide.

Red tide is from alge that is in ocean water Upon dieing the alge emits a substance called brevetoxin. This toxin causes coughing watery eyes (I also itch)

and other allergy-type symptoms. It is in the air where we live.

Geo

Hi,

They don't have an answer to that. I heard a week to several weeks. I saw the news tonight and they showed people at Cocoa Beach sitting there with masks on! I can't go out side with out coughing a lot. Then to top it off our AC broke to night. We can't open the windows because of the red tide. The air comes in and you cough! We leave about 500 ft from the ocean. In the AM we leave on a HAL cruise so I will not be able to post until after the 13 to let you know how the tide is.

I experienced this lovely thing of nature on Sunday while touring the space center. Soon as I got off the bus to take pictures of the Space Shuttle Atlantis I started sneezing & wheezing. If you are asthmatic, be prepared.

It did not affect me while at the port, for me it was only when we were steps from the beach and it was a bit of a windy day.

• 2 weeks later...

Got back from our cruise yesterday. The red tide is still here. I think it is a little less. I need to keep a paper towel over my nose when I go out. I have heard that some turtles have wash a shore. The weather might get a little cooler. I wonder if that will help. Will keep you posted.

Maria

Good point, forgot about red tide. We live in St. Augustine and when we went to an ocean front restaurant about a month and a half ago I was coughing immediately after getting out of the car. It wasn't like an imminent danger type thing, just an annoying constant cough until I went into the restaurant. Went to beach two weeks ago and didn't have any issues, so seems it's better up here. We're leaving next Saturday on the Glory out of Port Canaveral, so guess we will find out how bad it is in port.

REGIONAL RED TIDE SUMMARIES (December 14)

East Region: Water samples collected this week along the east coast of Florida detected Karenia brevis, the Florida red tide organism, between Volusia and St. Lucie counties. Medium to high concentrations of K. brevis were detected alongshore between New Smyrna Beach (Volusia County) and Round Island Beach (southern Indian River County). Very low to low concentrations were detected in St. Lucie County and background concentrations were detected in Martin County. No K. brevis was detected in samples collected alongshore of Palm Beach County, Broward County or north of Ponce Inlet, including northern Volusia, Flagler and St. Johns counties. Multiple reports of fish kills and respiratory irritation have been received from Volusia, Brevard and Indian River counties.

http://research.myfwc.com

What county is the cape in? Volusia?

We got off the Gory last Saturday and then went to the Melbourne area, for a few days to visit my Dad. When we got off the Glory, I didn't notice anything, but my Dad told me that they tried to go to the beach (they like Indiatlantic) they e having red tide. So while at my Dad's house, it was my B-day, and he asked me what I wanted to do, and I said get one last beach day (it had been 1 week since they tried to go the beach, so they decided to give it another try.) We went a little further south- Spesser Holland beach - and as soon as someone opened the car door, we all started coughing. We talked about going further south to Sebastion or going further north to Cocoa. We saw some men doing research and talked to them and they said not to go to Cocoa because the Red tide is as far north as Daytona and it is moving south, so they weren't sure if it was in Sebastian, yet. This morning, There was a woman, on another message board (unrelated to cruising) who lives a little further south than Sebastion and she said on the 11:00 news they said that the Red tide has reached them.

Hi,

Today was pretty good. Was able to go outside with no napkin over my nose. Just very little coughing when I am outside. I hope that this is the end of it. We live about 25 miles south of the port. Will keep you posted.

Maria

I (fortunately) didn't hear anyone aboard Carnival Glory this past week mentioning they had any ill effects at all from spending time on the open decks while in port. I hate seeing what it is doing to some of the marine life. Quite a shame.

Hi,

I really hope that this is the end of the red tide. Like I said in my last post today it was so much better. I am happy to hear that no one on Glory had any effects of sthe tide. Thank you all for your in put. As you can see I don't think that I posted on Carnival board before. I just wanted to pass the word along so people would not think that they have a cold and that others with health troubles could cover up. Afther all we are all family here on CC. Will keep you posted,

Geo (Maria)

Brevard County

Here in Port Cananveral, Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, the Red Tide has been horrendous and now we also have the smell of the fish that have been killed from the RT althought they keep them cleaned off the beach pretty good.

There was a big article in the local newspaper that it appears it will be around for a little while longer - if you have any breathing problems, allergies etc, I would suggest those paper face mask. When I first posted about it, folks seem to not that interested, so I just didn't say much more about it.

I just went out this morning and its early, I came back up coughing.

IF you start with the coughing, etc, do not concern yourself that you might be coming down with the flu or cold and concern you will not be allowed on the ships especially the DCL, you just been caught in the red tide affects.

You will be able to breathe normal soon.

always

Shirley

Brevard County

Here in Port Cananveral, Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, the Red Tide has been horrendous and now we also have the smell of the fish that have been killed from the RT althought they keep them cleaned off the beach pretty good.

There was a big article in the local newspaper that it appears it will be around for a little while longer - if you have any breathing problems, allergies etc, I would suggest those paper face mask. When I first posted about it, folks seem to not that interested, so I just didn't say much more about it.

I just went out this morning and its early, I came back up coughing.

IF you start with the coughing, etc, do not concern yourself that you might be coming down with the flu or cold and concern you will not be allowed on the ships especially the DCL, you just been caught in the red tide affects.

You will be able to breathe normal soon.

always

Shirley

Good news and bad news - there is no more red tide around - no sneezing, coughing, hacking etc BUT we now have high winds and VERY chilly so if you are planning to come down, don't concern yourself with having to deal with hot weather, bathing suits etc - bring clothes suited for the North Pole.

always

Shirley

Hi,

All clear here in Indian Harbour Beach. No red tide. But as snelsonbrown said the chill is here.

Maria

Hey Maria from IHB,

Guess I will take the cold rather than the hacking, coughing etc from the Red Tide - I have lived in Florida all my life but this is the first time it has affected me so bad - well another chilly day, but by tomorrow, we will feel the warm sun again HURRAY

Glad this was brought up for it could have been taken for "coming down with a cold" and messing up a vacation or cruise.

Have another great day in Paradise.

Always

Shirley

Archived