Aurora

Somerset Cruiser

We did the NY cruise to Hamburg and Bruges, first time on Aurora and really impressed with the ship, in particular the food. Spoke to a lady at lunch on the first day who works for a company that does maintenance work for P&O, she said the Aurora contract was up for but P&O didn't renew, a clear indication that she is to be disposed of. Sad if true.

I was onboard for that NY cruise to. I loved Aurora to,,very nice ship. I'd love to sail on her again. I was impressed and very pleased at how well she handled all that rough weather and storm Eleanor on the way home! Shame if they do get rid of her.

We did the NY cruise to Hamburg and Bruges, first time on Aurora and really impressed with the ship, in particular the food. Spoke to a lady at lunch on the first day who works for a company that does maintenance work for P&O, she said the Aurora contract was up for but P&O didn't renew, a clear indication that she is to be disposed of. Sad if true.

2+2=6

As mercury7289 says, contracts come up for renewal regularly and some contractors lose contracts whilst others win them. It is an illogical conclusion to draw that because one contractor loses a contract the ship is being sold. Rumors about potential ship sales are never helpful, but as and when P&O UK next gets around to selling another ship (which I doubt will be before 2020 when the next new ship arrives) it will most likely be Oriana, as she is the oldest ship and has too few balcony cabins.

I was onboard for that NY cruise to. I loved Aurora to,,very nice ship. I'd love to sail on her again. I was impressed and very pleased at how well she handled all that rough weather and storm Eleanor on the way home! Shame if they do get rid of her.

On the same NY cruise, we do like Aurora too, had a great time and have to agree she handled the force 12 gales extremely well.

Hope to sail on her soon.

2+2=6

Rumors about potential ship sales are never helpful, but as and when P&O UK next gets around to selling another ship (which I doubt will be before 2020 when the next new ship arrives) it will most likely be Oriana, as she is the oldest ship and has too few balcony cabins.

I agree with you about rumours, I hope no-one starts an Oriana one.

2+2=6

...Rumors about potential ship sales are never helpful, but as and when P&O UK next gets around to selling another ship (which I doubt will be before 2020 when the next new ship arrives) it will most likely be Oriana, as she is the oldest ship and has too few balcony cabins.

Or even Oceana to go off to Australia to join her 'sisters'.

• 3 weeks later...

We loved the Aurora also, having been on twice and have 3rd booked for March 21st. Think yes maybe the Oriana might have its days numbered, especially since they just cancelled our 50n cruise on her to the Caribbean due to mechanical problems.

We just hope they keep the Aurora going and sad they took her out of world cruising just leaving Arcadia

Only last year I was talking to the captain of the ship (P&O) who confirmed at an evening function that all the ships are for sale all of the time and if the right offer is made that ship would be sold. I remember also that somewhere there is a register of ships for sale on-line and both Aurora & Oriana were on it.

I think it is a case of wait for the company itself to make announcements and don't listen to gossip.