4/19 Empress of the Seas-Inaugural cruise to Cuba

My sister and I took the inaugural cruise to Cuba. We had initially book the cruise to Key Westand Cozumel. In October we received acall from Royal explaining that they were changing the itinerary to Costa Mayaand Cuba, would we still be interested in the cruse. Heck Yes!

The embarkation was easy; we got to the port around 11 amand were on board by 11:30 am, very painless! Everything Cuba theme, posters large backdrops for pictures. A sample of Cuban coffee was handed out! As we entered the ship, staff was passing outfree Cuba Libre drinks (or soda or juice). Royal gave us maps of Havana and a phrase sheet with Spanish/Englishphrases.

Wandered around the ship until 1 pm when we got the announcementthat the cabins were ready. Down to our cabin, 3009 Forward (inside). Nice room, and as stated before, the showeris very small. Met our steward,Thurshia. She was wonderful and funny!

As for the ship, Empress of the Seas, yes she is a smallship and older but well taken care of. No she doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like Oasis but that’sok. We like the smaller ships. We liked that on deck 6 (I think) there arechairs so that you can get away for the busyness of the Pool deck and have aquite place.

Food: We did not eatin Chops. We did eat every night in thedining room. We always asked for a largetable so that we can meet others. Onlyone night we were seated at a table for 12 and is was only the 2 of us! We had fun with the staff about that and theydid seat a group of 6 with us who were only there for dessert. Food was good but nothing reallyoutstanding. We did Brunch in the diningroom both sea day and that was very good.

Windjammer was the typical fair and that was ok.

We did not get off in Costa Maya. We had been there before and went to theruins.

Cuba: Wow! Royal Caribbean did this up big! They offered 2 lectures by a professor ofCuban culture. These lectures were verywell attended. Royal also has their ownstaff member lecture on Cuba.

One thing to remember in Cuba, they move at their own time. This was evident when we had to wait in theouter harbor for the pilots to come on board. They were about an hour late and were in no rush to get to the ship. This is one thing the professor said, takeyour patience with you when you set foot in Cuba. Things move at a slower pace.

Coming into the harbor was beautiful at daybreak. Empress just fits into her berth. No larger ships could come into thatport. Customs cleared the ship fairlyquickly and then the excursions started to leave. One thing that Royal impressed on everyonewas to stay hydrated. We brought bottledwater and bottled water was passed out at the excursion assembly areas.

Once we got into the terminal we need to clear Immigrations. These people do not smile. Go up to the booth one at a time, take offhat and glasses, hand over your passport and visa and wait while they punch theinfo into their computers. Look up atthe camera and they take a picture.

They stamp your passport and off you go.

Walk down the 42 steps to street level, meet up with yourgroup and off you go.

We did the walking tour of Old Havana. This was a great was to see part of the oldcity. Beware, cobblestone pavement,broken and un-even concrete. Becareful! Once we went to 3 differentsquares we boarded a bus (air conditioned!), more bottled water! We went on a tour around Havana, includingthe US Embassy and other highlights.

We went to a restaurant where we sampled rum, cigars andcoffee. Back on the bus and returned tothe ship.

We exchanged our money at that time (mistake). Went back out to do some shopping, got realtired and headed back to the ship.

Debarkation next day, not problem.

Thoughts: Havana isbeautiful in a sad way. Many structuresare just crumbling down. It seems thatthey are losing their physical history little by little. Walking down some of the street reminds me ofNew Orleans, with the wrought iron and architecture, outdoor bars and cafes.

People are friendly, don’t speak much English but will tryto be helpful with a smile.

Bring your own toilet paper!!! This is an expensive commodity in Cuba. Either bring the small travel size rolls orthe small packages of Kleenex. Alsobeing pocket size hand sanitizer.

We were told not to eat or drink any street foods. We did have a drink in a nice hotel.

If you have mobility challenges, do not get off the ship inHavana. Firstly, there are 42 steps to street level. Yes they do have elevators, but they are veryslow. Once you are at street level,there is no ADA here. Streets arecobblestone, broken pavement, crumbling concrete. The sidewalks do not have that dip in theconcrete that meets the street. Just a warning.

Empress of the Seas-I like her, I like the smaller ships. In some of the areas, she is showing her age but she's easy to get around and the staff get to know you. Her staff was very friendly and excited as much as their guests about this cruise.

One thing my sister and I felt was that the passengers were excited about this cruise. It was a new adventure for all of us and therefore we all had a common interest. It wasn't just another Caribbean port.

Would I go back-OH YEAH!

Thanks for the report! I really want to try these cruises one day--especially when Empress moves to Tampa! Cuba will only be a 45 minute drive and a cruise away :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Very nicely presented review. Clear and to the point and you included a lot of useful information. Good job.

Did you happen to see how close/far the Hop On Bus stop is from where the ship docks.

I imagine Havana will be similar to many of the cities we have visited in South America. So sad that the beautiful buildings are crumbling. Do you think they can be rehabed?

My first trip to So. America was in 1970 and many areas were in need of attention at that time.

We are on the October 16 sailing.

Very nicely presented review. Clear and to the point and you included a lot of useful information. Good job.

Did you happen to see how close/far the Hop On Bus stop is from where the ship docks.

I imagine Havana will be similar to many of the cities we have visited in South America. So sad that the beautiful buildings are crumbling. Do you think they can be rehabed?

My first trip to So. America was in 1970 and many areas were in need of attention at that time.

I did see the bus in the port area but not sure where the stop is.

As for rehabilitating the buildings, not sure. I doubt that there is enough money to fix them. It was an interesting trip and I hope to back again.

Hi thanks for the review. Can u tell me how long your tour was ,the requirements In regards to how many hours we need to complete for the person to person needed to visit there. Did they verify that in any way that it was let Also why was the Money of exchange a mistake thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi thanks for the review. Can u tell me how long your tour was ,the requirements In regards to how many hours we need to complete for the person to person needed to visit there. Did they verify that in any way that it was let Also why was the Money of exchange a mistake thanks

The tour lasted 4 hours. As far as I know there is no verification to authorities that you completed any person to person tour,. My understanding is that is that officials look the other way. You can get off the ship without any tour and just walk around. The reason I said that waiting until after the tour to exchange money was a mistake is that during the tour if you wanted to buy anything, you don't have Cuban money with you. US$'s are not readily accepted, some accept US$'s most don't. If possible, make your exchange prior to your tour.

My sister and I took the inaugural cruise to Cuba. We had initially book the cruise to Key Westand Cozumel. In October we received acall from Royal explaining that they were changing the itinerary to Costa Mayaand Cuba, would we still be interested in the cruse. Heck Yes!

The embarkation was easy; we got to the port around 11 amand were on board by 11:30 am, very painless! Everything Cuba theme, posters large backdrops for pictures. A sample of Cuban coffee was handed out! As we entered the ship, staff was passing outfree Cuba Libre drinks (or soda or juice). Royal gave us maps of Havana and a phrase sheet with Spanish/Englishphrases.

Wandered around the ship until 1 pm when we got the announcementthat the cabins were ready. Down to our cabin, 3009 Forward (inside). Nice room, and as stated before, the showeris very small. Met our steward,Thurshia. She was wonderful and funny!

As for the ship, Empress of the Seas, yes she is a smallship and older but well taken care of. No she doesn’t have all the bells and whistles like Oasis but that’sok. We like the smaller ships. We liked that on deck 6 (I think) there arechairs so that you can get away for the busyness of the Pool deck and have aquite place.

Food: We did not eatin Chops. We did eat every night in thedining room. We always asked for a largetable so that we can meet others. Onlyone night we were seated at a table for 12 and is was only the 2 of us! We had fun with the staff about that and theydid seat a group of 6 with us who were only there for dessert. Food was good but nothing reallyoutstanding. We did Brunch in the diningroom both sea day and that was very good.

Windjammer was the typical fair and that was ok.

We did not get off in Costa Maya. We had been there before and went to theruins.

Cuba: Wow! Royal Caribbean did this up big! They offered 2 lectures by a professor ofCuban culture. These lectures were verywell attended. Royal also has their ownstaff member lecture on Cuba.

One thing to remember in Cuba, they move at their own time. This was evident when we had to wait in theouter harbor for the pilots to come on board. They were about an hour late and were in no rush to get to the ship. This is one thing the professor said, takeyour patience with you when you set foot in Cuba. Things move at a slower pace.

Coming into the harbor was beautiful at daybreak. Empress just fits into her berth. No larger ships could come into thatport. Customs cleared the ship fairlyquickly and then the excursions started to leave. One thing that Royal impressed on everyonewas to stay hydrated. We brought bottledwater and bottled water was passed out at the excursion assembly areas.

Once we got into the terminal we need to clear Immigrations. These people do not smile. Go up to the booth one at a time, take offhat and glasses, hand over your passport and visa and wait while they punch theinfo into their computers. Look up atthe camera and they take a picture.

They stamp your passport and off you go.

Walk down the 42 steps to street level, meet up with yourgroup and off you go.

We did the walking tour of Old Havana. This was a great was to see part of the oldcity. Beware, cobblestone pavement,broken and un-even concrete. Becareful! Once we went to 3 differentsquares we boarded a bus (air conditioned!), more bottled water! We went on a tour around Havana, includingthe US Embassy and other highlights.

We went to a restaurant where we sampled rum, cigars andcoffee. Back on the bus and returned tothe ship.

We exchanged our money at that time (mistake). Went back out to do some shopping, got realtired and headed back to the ship.

Debarkation next day, not problem.

Thoughts: Havana isbeautiful in a sad way. Many structuresare just crumbling down. It seems thatthey are losing their physical history little by little. Walking down some of the street reminds me ofNew Orleans, with the wrought iron and architecture, outdoor bars and cafes.

People are friendly, don’t speak much English but will tryto be helpful with a smile.

Bring your own toilet paper!!! This is an expensive commodity in Cuba. Either bring the small travel size rolls orthe small packages of Kleenex. Alsobeing pocket size hand sanitizer.

We were told not to eat or drink any street foods. We did have a drink in a nice hotel.

If you have mobility challenges, do not get off the ship inHavana. Firstly, there are 42 steps to street level. Yes they do have elevators, but they are veryslow. Once you are at street level,there is no ADA here. Streets arecobblestone, broken pavement, crumbling concrete. The sidewalks do not have that dip in theconcrete that meets the street. Just a warning.

Having traveled around the world, with a disabled spouse, I can assure you, that Havana is not different than many other places. ADA is only a USA term, and not International. With a proper wheelchair, most of the items you have referenced can be handled. A truly disabled person is always aware of challenges to face, and will most likely accept those challenges. You said there is an elevator. Great. Cobble stone streets are just bumpy. Getting up and down curbs are no problem if you have an assistant to help!.

Most Caribbean Islands have many of the same challenges

Empress of the Seas-I like her, I like the smaller ships. In some of the areas, she is showing her age but she's easy to get around and the staff get to know you. Her staff was very friendly and excited as much as their guests about this cruise.

One thing my sister and I felt was that the passengers were excited about this cruise. It was a new adventure for all of us and therefore we all had a common interest. It wasn't just another Caribbean port.

Would I go back-OH YEAH!

zzz

Thanks for your great review! We leave on the Empress in a few weeks and are very excited to read all about the earlier cruises. We read in another review about temperature being taken by doctors at the terminal in Cuba. Did this happen to you? And if so, how is it that they take your temperature? Can't imagine having someone put something in my mouth (is it sanitary??)

Thanks!

I have a question about the Empress. When I sailed on her last October, it was casual dress every night in the MDR. Is that still the case, or is there a formal night? I will be on the October 11 cruise, and knowing whether I have to pack that extra pair of dress shoes will be a big help. Thanks!

I have a question about the Empress. When I sailed on her last October, it was casual dress every night in the MDR. Is that still the case, or is there a formal night? I will be on the October 11 cruise, and knowing whether I have to pack that extra pair of dress shoes will be a big help. Thanks!

No formal nights on Empress.

I have the Best of Havana booked which is an all day tour. Do you think it will be possible to buy some of the carved coconut monkeys Cuba is somewhat known for after the tour? Is there someplace close to the ship where they can be purchased? If we leave early I may not have time to change money before the tour starts, and I have a few friends that I want to get these for. Thanks.....

Thanks for your great review! We leave on the Empress in a few weeks and are very excited to read all about the earlier cruises. We read in another review about temperature being taken by doctors at the terminal in Cuba. Did this happen to you? And if so, how is it that they take your temperature? Can't imagine having someone put something in my mouth (is it sanitary??)

Thanks!

We were also told the same thing by the Royal staff member giving the port talk but they did not take our temperature.

It was casual every night.

http://vacationcubatravel.com/havana-bus-tour-hop-on-hop-off/

Awesome review, as others have said very concise yet informative. I love your positive perspective. Thank you!

Interested to learn, if I understood correctly, that there is actually a bus ride as part of the walking tour? We're doing the Havana overnight and booked for the walking tour on day 1, with Best of Havana on Day 2. Based on what you know, would that be redundant?

Also, our walking tour begins at 2:30 and includes at 6:30 pm. Is that too late to shop?

Thanks again for your review, and for answering all of the questions that other excited cruisers have!

Thank you so much for this review. It was very well written and answered so many of my questions. We are sailing on the December 4 cruise...and we CAN'T wait. How long did it take to exchange money? Did you change USD or other $. I saw a picture and it looked like a long line. Thanks again for the review

Awesome review, as others have said very concise yet informative. I love your positive perspective. Thank you!

Interested to learn, if I understood correctly, that there is actually a bus ride as part of the walking tour? We're doing the Havana overnight and booked for the walking tour on day 1, with Best of Havana on Day 2. Based on what you know, would that be redundant?

Also, our walking tour begins at 2:30 and includes at 6:30 pm. Is that too late to shop?

Thanks again for your review, and for answering all of the questions that other excited cruisers have!

Thank you! We booked the Old Havana walking tour and there was a bus tour included. I doubt that it would be redundant, you will most likely see areas that you didn't see on the walking tour. The reason I say this is that on the walking tour you are in areas that large busses cannot get thru. As for shopping, really not sure since we were leaving the port at around 6:30. Do know how late shops are open.

Thank you so much for this review. It was very well written and answered so many of my questions. We are sailing on the December 4 cruise...and we CAN'T wait. How long did it take to exchange money? Did you change USD or other $. I saw a picture and it looked like a long line. Thanks again for the review

It was quite quick since we did our exchange after our tour, maybe 10 minutes. No we did not exchange US$. We bought Canadian $ in Tampa and exchanged Canadian for Cuban. If you exchange US for Cuban there is a 10% over and above the exchange fee tzhat is not charged on other foreign currency.