No Love For This Boat, Former PACIFIC PRINCESS Sold For Scrap

How sad is that. I used to really like the Love Boat

The 19,903 gt, 600 passenger PACIFIC (ex SEA VENTURE, PACIFIC PRINCESS) has been sold for 2.5 million of euros to the Turkish company “Cemsan”, specializing in ship breaking.

The 1971-built PACIFIC has been idle at Genoa’s San Giorgio del Porto shipyard since being seized by the Italian Coast Guard last year. PACIFIC last operated for Spanish-based Quail Cruises but she was originally built for Flagship Cruises New York to Bermuda cruise service as the SEA VENTURE. Between 1975 and 2002, she was Princess Cruises’ first PACIFIC PRINCESS and rose to fame as the official “Love Boat” on the US television series that ran from 1976 through 1986. The “Love Boat” and the PACIFIC PRINCESS are largely credited for stimulating international interest in cruising into what it is today.

PACIFIC will soon towed to her final destination in Aliağa, Turkey.

Princess Cruises just posted on their page...........

Princess Cruises

We’re saddened to learn that our original Pacific Princess has reached the end of her sailing days. Although she left our fleet in 2002, we’ll always fondly remember our star of “The Love Boat” and the huge impact this ship made on the entire cruise industry!

I used to watch this show every week and even now I'll sit down and watch a rerun if I'm channel surfing.Didn't you just love Doc romancing the passengers and no one ever appeared to hand over a sea pass to pay for the drinks.My kind of cruise:)

Regards Elaine.

Oh that's a shame. But nothing lasts forever.....

I still remember watching the Love Boat if I was lucky enough to be home from school.

Isaac the Bartender was my favourite. Such a cheeky grin :D

They have re-runs on at the moment. Sometimes I manage to catch it. The 'guest stars' are always interesting.

Love, exciting and new,

Come aboard.

We're expecting you.

Love, life's sweetest reward.

Let it flow,

it floats back to you.

The Love Boat

soon will be making another run.

The Love Boat promises something for everyone.

Set a course for adventure,

Your mind on a new romance.

Love won't hurt anymore

It's an open smile on a friendly shore.

It's Looooove!

Welcome aboard - It's Looooove!

I watch the reruns sometimes. So many things that aren't typical of cruising nowadays! Captain greeting people upon boarding, Captain's table in the dining room, doesn't seem to have a buffet, everyone dresses up for dinner every night! No security on boarding, no lounge chair hoggers! Crew having romances/affairs with passengers--or does that ever really happen?

I watch the reruns sometimes. So many things that aren't typical of cruising nowadays! Captain greeting people upon boarding, Captain's table in the dining room, doesn't seem to have a buffet, everyone dresses up for dinner every night! No security on boarding, no lounge chair hoggers! Crew having romances/affairs with passengers--or does that ever really happen?

Of course its like that on each and every cruise.....:D:D

HA HA...At least that's the dream Hollywood would have us believe.

We saw a ship called Discovery (Hamilton) in Bali last month and got told that was the love boat, now I'm wondering what it was called before as some of us thought it looked like the old Pacific Sky, anyone know????

We saw a ship called Discovery (Hamilton) in Bali last month and got told that was the love boat, now I'm wondering what it was called before as some of us thought it looked like the old Pacific Sky, anyone know????

I think you will find Discovery was the sister ship to Pacific Princess and she was called Island Princess.

They were identical and I read somewhere where more filming was actually done on Island Princess than on Pacific Princess, but Pacific got all the glory.

Well, even though it was nowhere near as good as the original, they still have a love boat in the fleet (right here in Australia actually)...

Well there's 2 minutes I will never get back. What terrible opening credits. The poor Sun Princess.

Hehe, never heard of it. Looked interesting though!
It only ran for 25 episodes (it wasn't very good) and channel 10 showed it here in Australia. I watched it purely because it was a TV show based on a cruise ship. They brought some of the old cast back for one episode too. :)

Nothing will beat the original though!

I thought the Love Boat was in Darwin just the other week when the QM 2 was in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that was Island Princess (same class of ship), which was used in a few episodes of the series. But Pacific Princess was the main one used.

Trivia...

Name the two singers who made the Love Boat Theme Song famous. One was the original and the second was used in the later series.

Jack Jones sang it, Paul Williams wrote it. Paul actually starred in the show a couple of times. I ALWAYS watched it and have the first two volumes on DVD (waiting for more to be released). I saw Paul Williams live back in the 80's and he sang the song:D

Gopher was my favourite :)

I had a "romance" with one of the band members on my Fairstar cruise:)

I still remember watching the Love Boat if I was lucky enough to be home from school.

When the show was originally aired it was on a weeknight (I think Wed) about 8.30. You weren't at school then were you? lol

I used to watch this show every week and even now I'll sit down and watch a rerun if I'm channel surfing.Didn't you just love Doc romancing the passengers and no one ever appeared to hand over a sea pass to pay for the drinks.My kind of cruise:)

Regards Elaine.

I didn't have a Sea Pass on my Fairstar cruise back in 1986..........but I did hand over cash:(

Archived