Decisions. Decisions. Should we cruise to Hawaii or Alaska from SF?

Linsifer

Well, we decided to wait until April 2019! I wanted to take advantage of the “3 for Free” promo, so booked a cruise to....Hawaii! I thought more about it and decided we could do Alaska another time when we can see Glacier Bay. And my husband will be able to rearrange his schedule for Hawaii, given there’s still a lot of time. The Grand will be 21 by then! Hope she’s up for a trans Pacific voyage!

If Hawaii is not on your bucket list, then definitely do not go. But, you will sure miss a lot of beautiful scenery. We have done SF to Hawaii return 15 nights (or maybe it was 16) and 10 from SF to Alaska return. Two totally different types of scenery and weather!!!! The days at sea for Hawaii are lovely. Time to relax and unwind. You will not find very many people who say, they are not interested in Hawaii but you will find more who say they are not interested in Alaska because of the cold weather. We have traveled the world with Princess and will continue to re-visit as long as we are in good health and still have funds.

If you look on Youtube, you can see videos of the lava flows from ships such as NCL's Pride of America. This is Mt. Kiluaea:

Here's another one on RCCL, I believe:

They go after dark (obviously) and in some cases, quite late at night - the second video was filmed around midnight, but it is amazing to see!

The teacher in me:

The mountain: Moana Loa

Hawaii Volcano National Park

The Caldera: Kilauea (no such thing as Mt Kilauea/unless you are thinking mound/mount

The Lava is flowing from: Pu'u O'O vent toward the ocean

Hale'mau'mau Crater (inside the Kilauea Caldera) has a lava lake vent that can be viewed from the Jaggar Museum Observation Deck

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Random Factoid: Mauna Kea (the other mountain on the Hawaii Island (the "Big Island) is the tallest mountain in the world; if you measure it from sea floor to summit.