Summary Sun Princess SP813

Ok Here we go with my summary of the Sun Princess cruise 813 from Fremantle to Sydney.

Before I begin I must say that this will be a “warts and all” summary of the trip. After all this site is called “Cruise Critic” Not “weloveprincess/p&o.com”

Having said that I must say that we really loved the cruise.

Firstly the ship itself:

I loved it. It has been maintained really well. It does not look like a 13yo ship. Especially I loved the layout of the ship. Everything was where it should be. Some ships I have been on are like rabbit warrens. Trying to get from one place to another was a nightmare. On Sun Princess it was a breeze. All the main bars, showrooms, amenities etc are on deck 7, which happened to be the Promenade deck. Perfect for a pre-dinner drink, or a stroll on the deck after dinner. The main showroom, Princess Theatre (more on that in a minute) was at one end on the ship and the other showroom (Vista Lounge) at the other. Other bars were the open air ones on decks 12 and 14. I think we managed to visit them all.

I found the ship to be very spacious. Even with 2014 people on board (the ship was built to hold 2272 plus 888 crew) there was plenty of room. Never had a problem getting a seat or table in any of the bars or public areas.

I have to make mention of our cabin here. As usual we booked an inside cabin. We do this for a couple of reasons. First, the obvious one. It’s cheaper, which means we can go on more cruises. Second, we are both light sleepers and find the darkness of the cabin aids better sleep. If I was booking on SP again I would have to reconsider this. The cabin was tiny. I think it’s the smallest cabin we have ever had. Maybe the exception being our first cruise on the Fairstar in an inside cabin with bunk beds. So maybe an outside cabin would have been better.

As mentioned elsewhere the Princess Theatre is way too small. If you wanted to see any of the production shows you virtually had to camp there overnight to get a seat. Ok, that’s exaggerating a bit but you had to be really early to get a seat. Luckily they had the alternative venue of the Vista Lounge. Most of the guest artists performed there as well.

While we are on entertainment I should say that I felt let down by the quality. The production shows (Tribute, Shimmy, Piano Man) were the same as we had seen on Pacific Princess over two years ago. Whilst they were ok, I feel more effort is needed from Princess to bring it up to world standard. The same could be said of the guest artists. I won’t summarise all of them, but suffice to say I was having flashbacks to 1980’s RSL clubs. Jacki Love was clearly lip syncing on the show that we watched. The comedians were funny but the jokes old and repetitive. Having seen the standard of shows on ships overseas I was a little bit disappointed.

I could find no fault with the staff on board. Everyone was efficient, happy and courteous(shore tour staff excepted). From the ships officers down to the cabin stewards and waiters, they were all excellent. More than I could say for our previous cruise on the Pacific Sun, were we had to chase the steward to try to get towels, shampoo etc.

Now to food.

This was a bit of a hit and miss affair in the main dining rooms. Whilst the food was beautifully presented etc, some days it just didn’t make the grade. Once again I am speaking from the experiences we have had on other(overseas) cruise lines. I’m not saying it was bad, just that it could be a lot better. I also think Princess Australia need to decide if they want to stick with traditional dining or go with Freestyle (anytime dining) There was quite a waiting list of people who wanted to switch from 2nd seating to 1st , yet on any given night maybe 10-15% of the seats on 1st sitting were empty. This is a credit to the ship for offering lots of other dining venues (Pizzeria, steakhouse, buffet etc) but offers little to those who wanted traditional dining on 1st sitting.

BTW ALL the deserts were yummy!!!!!

Embarkation and Tendering

Only one word to describe it. Abysmal.

Totally chaotic at Fremantle. Ship was fully tied up at midday yet people were still disembarking at 4.30. We started embarking around 5.00. People were still getting on close to 8.00. There was a total lack of communication regarding “preferred check-in” for platinum and elite passengers. One staffer told us that it was only for check-in not embarkation, only to be corrected by another staffer who told us to go through. I am not trying to make a big deal about preferred check-in just the communication. Needs to be looked at.

The other thing that Princess needs to seriously look at is their itineraries . If they insist in going to so many ports that need tendering services then something has to change. Without going in to too much detail we missed three tender ports due to “conditions beyond our control” i.e a slight breeze. Deemed too rough for the tenders. When we did manage to use the tenders it was chaotic. In both Yorkey,s Knob and Townsville we had to wait on a wharf for between 1-2 hours for a tender back to the ship. Not because everyone arrived at once. Simply a lack of tenders and organization. Luckily it wasn’t too hot as there was no cover provided. Not good when you consider the average age of the passengers.

Shore Tours.

The ones we picked were very enjoyable. But once again let down by bad organisation.

e.g. Hovercraft ride in Broome. Told to meet in lounge NO LATER THAN 9.50 am. 10.40 we are led down to the wharf. Waited another 50 minutes for the bus to arrive. No explanation. The shore tour staff were very indifferent about it. Same with the afternoon tour. Need to do better.

Disembarkation in Sydney was great. Very efficient. We were about the forth last group to get off and we were in a cab by 9.30a.m. It was going even quicker before AQIS decided to start x-raying luggage.

That’s about all for now.

I just want to say that while this might seem like a negative summary please do not take it that way. We had a wonderful time. These are just points that I think people should know. Anyone planning on doing a cruise on this wonderful ship should not be put off.

Heres a link to a few of the 800 or so photos that we took on the trip

http://community.webshots.com/album/564116842lNCWCa

Cheers

Tommy:)

Ps Yesterday received a letter from Princess offering a 20% discount on a future cruise because of the “difficulties” we encountered.

Thanks Tommy,

I am looking forward to checking out your pictures tonight.

Regarding cabin size on Sun Princess, most of the outsides are the same as the insides. Depending on the shape of cabin, they are 12 - 14 m2. There are a few deluxe oceanview cabins that are 16m2 (Cat CC, C, DD). Balcony cabins are the same size as the insides, but with a balcony added to the outside. Minis and above are the only truly roomy cabins on the ship, with the aft ones being the biggest minis in the fleet.

Well done Tommy, fair and concise, runs with my review I think and with Walking on Sunshines's experience. Princess needs to lift its game on these Aussie Princess cruises.

By the way I got my 20% off letter today, will file it and use, if not next year, 2010.

Les:cool:

Thanks for the review

Warts and all should be the standard around here.

cheers!

Yep agree!, one persons "heavenly cruise" experience can be another's "cruise from hell".

We are all different and see things through our "own" eyes only.

Hi

I totally agree with the comments made by Tommy and it appears he is not alone with his opinions.

I just received my weekly newsletter from an online t/a and the feedback from 5 different people who were also on S813 shared the same sentiment.

libk70 would like to hear your thoughts of the cruise, especially travelling with children. Did everyone enjoy the cruise?

Well it's back to reality again until we book the next holiday.

Regards

CRUISING ALONG:)

Wonderful photos Tommy, and thanks for the review.

From your comments and from other recent cruisers, it seems the one major thing to go downhill since the new year is the tendering. Now with significant delays to go ashore and return, it is the opposite of our NYE cruise of no tickets or queues.

I can only summise that they are saving money by operating less tenders now and this does not fit with their premium cruising tag.

Have you given any thought yet to your next cruise?

From your comments and from other recent cruisers, it seems the one major thing to go downhill since the new year is the tendering. Now with significant delays to go ashore and return, it is the opposite of our NYE cruise of no tickets or queues.

I can only summise that they are saving money by operating less tenders now and this does not fit with their premium cruising tag.

Hi Geoff & Tommy,

I hope that Princess management realises there was a problem with tendering and improve the situation. I have a personal interest in this one particularly because there are several tender ports on our Pearls of Tahiti cruise in October.

I am not overly surprised that there was a weather problem with tendering into WA ports (Geraldton & Exmouth). When we have been in WA we have noticed that there is virtually always very strong winds, of the strength that we get very rarely on the east coast. Then of course there was a weather problem in Cooktown, and it is on the east coast. I suppose that one was 'the luck of the draw'.

Hi Geoff.

Glad you liked the photos. Only taken with a P&S cybershot, but they turned out ok.

I think you hit the nail on the head re the tenders. It did look to me like a money saving exercise. Especially when using the 3rd party cats. As I think I mentioned if a cat and a (ships) tender were available at the same time they would use the tender. Even though that meant a 40 minute journey as opposed to a 7 minute.

Not sure about the next cruise yet. We like to alternate so maybe a land based holiday next time.

Cheers

Tommy

CruisingAlong says she agrees with Tommy's comments re cruise. Glad she does..NO DOMESTICS, Annette and Tommy !!:D

Farewell to you two, another time and another place.

Cheers..Les:cool:

I've really enjoyed your review. I have one question regarding the activities on board. Does the Sun Princess have the same type of activities as P & O ships e.g. trivia, horseracing, music quizzes, deck scavenger hunts etc or are they aimed a little more high brow e.g. lectures?

Bomber, do not worry, Princess in OZ is only a little cut above P&O OZ. No scavenger hunts, but maybe in school hols. Yes Trivia, Horseracing, bingo is on. Port lectures are there, with our friend Ronelle.

Bomber, do not worry, Princess in OZ is only a little cut above P&O OZ. No scavenger hunts, but maybe in school hols. Yes Trivia, Horseracing, bingo is on. Port lectures are there, with our friend Ronelle.

I've really enjoyed your review. I have one question regarding the activities on board. Does the Sun Princess have the same type of activities as P & O ships e.g. trivia, horseracing, music quizzes, deck scavenger hunts etc or are they aimed a little more high brow e.g. lectures?

Thanks Bomber.

Glad you liked it.

Yes. Sun Princess does have the usual things. Trivia (we won once :)) horse racing, some music quizzes and they did have a couple of scavenger hunts. One for the kids and one for the grown up kids :D.

Most of the "lectures" were not to my taste. They seemed to be based on selling stuff i.e. lotus spa treatments etc. One good lecture they had was from the ships pilot when we were heading down the east coast inside the reef (I think) Was all about pirates. Very interesting.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Cheers

Tommy

Thanks for that info. I dont think I could quite cope with art auctions, writing rooms and "enrichment" programmes as advertised in the Princess brochures!

The enrichment programs are not a total waste. For anyone new to digital photography and editing your photos with software like Photoshop they had some really good programs. While I don't have a need to participate in those, there was approx a doz passengers who gained a great benefit from them.

It is what you make of it. These sort of things just add extra variety to the activities available onboard.

The enrichment programs are not a total waste. For anyone new to digital photography and editing your photos with software like Photoshop they had some really good programs. While I don't have a need to participate in those, there was approx a doz passengers who gained a great benefit from them.

It is what you make of it. These sort of things just add extra variety to the activities available onboard.

I bet the swingers on Seadogs cruise went to all of them.:D:D

You're right, photoshop type classes would be good. I guess I was imagining more school lecture type programmes. And more variety is always good but I do love my trivia! Even experienced trivia rage on my last cruise!!

Archived