Myanmar river cruise

apuleius

we are following any responses as well...

I like that AMA has a pool...I like that GCT does not do a long bus ride (but will we miss important interesting ports on the river), we will be on a Viking cruise in the fall and as past passengers may get a discount..... Vantage has a cruise as well....

and is Bankok going to be safe enough for a pre-cruise...

Lots of questions

Click HERE for a detailed report on the Grand Circle trip. We did not take this trip, but saw the report on the GCT site. We have not taken this trip, but have taken 15 other of their trips with this one on our list for the future.

We booked the trip with Vantage Travel. Their ship looks awesome. We took a French Waterways cruise with them as well as some land trips and have always been satisfied. Here is the link - we are on the October 10, 2015 departure.

https://www.vantagetravel.com/Trip/2018/Burma-and-the-Irrawaddy-River--Cruising-the-Road-to-Mandalay

Edited by Benita

I would recommend that you make sure that the ship you will be on has the amenities that you expect. We did a Viking trip last January on a ship that was supposed to be the Viking Mandalay. In fact the ship was leased from Pandow and called the Indochina Pandow. The beds were not queen size as advertised in the brochure but twins with an isle between them. The common space on this ship (with the exception of the dining room, which is closed other than mealtimes) is not air conditioned. Temperatures in Myanmar can get quite high and having a cocktail in the open air after a full day of touring might not be quite so inviting. The common balcony means that you must close the drapes in your stateroom to have any privacy, which makes your room very dark. The dining area with 60 people in it can get very loud, and carrying on a conservation becomes difficult at best

I have noticed that other companies have built ships that addresses many of the issues above. I would highly recommend that you explore them.

Take a careful look at the itinerary, I thought that the Viking Itinerary which started and ended in Bangkok had a lot of wasted time going to and coming from airports.

Myanmar is a fantastic place, the people are wonderful and the scenery is terrific, a destination not to be missed. Good luck on your trip.

We researched the experienced alternatives going to Myanmar when we could go and picked Viking due to past experiences with them, including a trip on a ship leased from the Ukraine that sounds much like the one leased for Myanmar. We are 2 ladies traveling so the lack of queen bed doesn't bother us. Not sure about the AC, but we also aren't expecting luxury. Hopefully, it won't be too hot. If A & K were traveling to the area at the same time, we would have loved to use them. I guess we are really 1 year too early, but had no choice.

Doris Betty

We chose Vantage for our Myanmar River Cruise primarily for the past passenger discount we get which helps with costs. Are sending off next week for the Visa as our trip begins in Bangkok Sept 24 and entry into Myanmar Sept 27. I will come back here upon our return but won't be until late Nov and hopefully can share some thoughts for future travelers.

Cindy:):)

We chose Vantage for our Myanmar River Cruise primarily for the past passenger discount we get which helps with costs. Are sending off next week for the Visa as our trip begins in Bangkok Sept 24 and entry into Myanmar Sept 27. I will come back here upon our return but won't be until late Nov and hopefully can share some thoughts for future travelers.

Do you have sny idea how long it will take to get your VISA?

We are using Generations Visa Services, Washington, DC and they have said roughly 3 weeks. So, the Visa is good for 90 days from date of issue. We just backed off the date of arrival in country to determine when to send. Also, we are departing a couple weeks early to travel in Thailand.

We wanted to see as much as possible of Myanmar, not Bangkok and not hordes of other tourists on the Yangon-Bagan-Mandalay strip.

We chose the Pandaw 14-day "600 miles and see all Burma", travelling late October when the monsoon was over, river levels were adequate and heat not intense. It was brilliant.

My detailed report is somewhere on this board.

We also travelled with local guides and on our own pre and post cruise in Yangon and Inle Lakes. Highly recommended.

I sent our passports to the Myanmar Embassy and received them back in about two weeks. Sent them with their form filled out, a bank check and Fedex return mailer. The process was smooth and efficient. Another couple that traveled with us used a service. The time it took them to receive their visas was longer than ours and considerably more costly.

I'm looking for some recommendations as just starting to plan for 2015. Advice please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Apuleius-

We are (obviously) biased, but Avalon is introducing a new, Suite Ship on the Irrawaddy in 2015 ... There are only 18 staterooms (36 passengers). Each suite is 245-square-feet with an Open-Air Balcony. And, thanks to our sister company (Globus), you can imagine the itinerary is incredible (you can save 5% if you book by 8.26).

Here's a link to more information about the itinerary:

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/River-Cruises/Irrawaddy-River/

Here's a link to more information about the NEW ship:

http://www.avalonwaterways.com/River-Cruise-Ships/Myanmar/

Regardless of who you go with, it's sure to be an unforgettable, life-changing trip!

All the best!

• 4 weeks later...

Sent our Visa request to a service recommended by Vantage Travel. They made the entire process very easy. We mailed our Passports with the required paperwork on July 18 and received them back approved on Aug 7. That is less than 3 weeks! :D Satisfaction. Any questions I am happy to answer.