Boston Hotels

smacksgirl11

Hi! We are looking at hotels in Boston for Sept 2013. Does anyone have any insight on the Hyatt Regency or Hyatt Harborside? Both are similar in price. We would like to see the Freedom Trail in our day in Boston and would like to be somewhat close to the cruise terminal. Thank you!

What exact dates are you looking at? How many people? What price are you seeing for these hotels for your dates?

The Hyatt Harborside is at the airport but just across the harbor from downtown Boston. You would spend $10/pp each way to ride the water taxi downtown, but you could buy an all day water taxi pass for $25/pp that would give you unlimited access to any water taxi stop on the harbor from the Constitution in Charlestown to the JFK Museum in Dorchester. You can use the free airport shuttles to get to the Blue Line T station or to pick up the Silver Line T bus into downtown as well.

The Hyatt Regency is tucked in behind Downtown Crossing close to Boston Common and within walking distance of Faneuil Hall, the Theater District, and Chinatown. It's very close to the start of the Freedom Trail.

I think both hotels would be about the same distance from the pier. The Harborside hotel is much newer, but it is still right at the airport. You might get a harbor view, but you might not. No real views at the Hyatt Regency. In the evening there will be nothing near the Harborside - no shops or restaurants. The Regency is in the heart of downtown Boston and there will be shops and restaurants within walking distance.

Good point about the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge. I've stayed in both the Boston Regency and Harborside. For wandering around downtown Boston, the Regency is better. You can duck out through the garage and it's only a half block to the Chauncey St entrance to the Downtown Crossing T stop. A couple of blocks to the Common and Chinatown and a few more to Faneuil Hall.

:oSorry if I'm asking in the wrong thread or jumping onto someone else'sthread.I too am trying select a hotel .We are sailing on the Nov.1 repo Boston to Tampa.I am looking for a recommendation on a moderately (for Boston)priced hotel not too far from the cruiseport.We probably will not be sightseeing this time.Thank you for the help and once again,I hope I have not infringed on anyone.

For Oct 31 there is a 4* hotel in the Waterfront area that is highly likely to be the Westin Convention Center for $189. This is not the cheapest hotel out there, but it is the closest to the pier and you will save money on cab fares. The hotel is only 1 block from the World Trade Center T stop on the Silver Line, so you would have an easy public transit option from either the airport or South Station to the hotel. There is also a 3* Back Bay hotel for $119 which could be the hotel 140 - a 75% approval rating.

This repo is a very big cruise so you would be smart to make a decision soon about a hotel. Later in the season I would expect prices to go up and to have a bunch of repo folks on this board looking for hotels.

I am doing the TA on the Brilliance to Boston in Sep.

138east...do you mind another question? We will be sailing June 9th on the Glory...just starting to investigate hotels..looking at the Renaissance waterfront...wondering is Legal Seafood walkable from there and would we need a cab to get to Quincy Market...Faneuil Hall?

Also we had just planned on a cab to the terminal...and I was guessing probably a 20.00 cab ride with tip?

Thanks in advance for any answers!! I have family in Quincy...so all I know about is taking the bus from Logan out to Braintree I think:D

138east...do you mind another question? We will be sailing June 9th on the Glory...just starting to investigate hotels..looking at the Renaissance waterfront...wondering is Legal Seafood walkable from there and would we need a cab to get to Quincy Market...Faneuil Hall?

If you check Google Maps, it's 1.7 miles walking from the waterfront Ren to Faneuil hall, and slightly less to Legal's on State Street.

There's a Legal Seafood Test Kitchen Restaurant just down the street from the Renaissance. http://www.legalseafoods.com/restaurants/boston-legal-test-kitchen-br-seaport The World Trade Center T stops a block away, so you can take the Silver Line to South Station, transfer to the Red line to Downtown Crossing, and transfer to the Orange line to Haymarket to get to Quincy Market. You can also walk from South Station.

A cab fare to the pier from the Renaissance should be less than $10. You can also take the Silver Line from Silver Line Way directly to the pier for $2.50/pp.

I am jumping in on this too. I posted about this several months ago but did not save the posts. We are coming in in July on Amtrak South Station. Looking for a room for three nights. Want to be fairly close to the attractions (have never been to Boston), centrally located to Amtrak and Cruise terminal. We aren't big on the night life. Any recommendations?

For Oct 31 there is a 4* hotel in the Waterfront area that is highly likely to be the Westin Convention Center for $189. This is not the cheapest hotel out there, but it is the closest to the pier and you will save money on cab fares. The hotel is only 1 block from the World Trade Center T stop on the Silver Line, so you would have an easy public transit option from either the airport or South Station to the hotel. There is also a 3* Back Bay hotel for $119 which could be the hotel 140 - a 75% approval rating.

This repo is a very big cruise so you would be smart to make a decision soon about a hotel. Later in the season I would expect prices to go up and to have a bunch of repo folks on this board looking for hotels.

I am doing the TA on the Brilliance to Boston in Sep.

I just checked the Weston Waterfront and the room was $332. You mentioned the cab fare would be less from there. Can you give me an estimate of cost to the ship and to Legal Seafood? Should I expect $20 for each way or $50 or more or less? Thanks for your help and advice.

That's the list price for the Westin for that date. What I said was that the 4* hotel on Hotwire for that date for $189 is highly likely to be the Westin. If its not the Westin it will be the Seaport or the Renaissance. There are only three 4* hotels in the Waterfront area and they are all within 2-3 blocks of one another. If you are uncomfortable prepaying a hotel on Hotwire, buy the cancellation insurance which will cover you for certain kinds of events similar to your cruise insurance.

You can walk to either Legal Seafoods Harborside or Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen. The cab fare to the pier should be under $10.

That's the list price for the Westin for that date. What I said was that the 4* hotel on Hotwire for that date for $189 is highly likely to be the Westin. If its not the Westin it will be the Seaport or the Renaissance. There are only three 4* hotels in the Waterfront area and they are all within 2-3 blocks of one another. If you are uncomfortable prepaying a hotel on Hotwire, buy the cancellation insurance which will cover you for certain kinds of events similar to your cruise insurance.

You can walk to either Legal Seafoods Harborside or Legal Seafoods Test Kitchen. The cab fare to the pier should be under $10.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking maybe we'll stay at the Westin, because we can use our Starwood points to pay for it. I have never used Hotwire or Starwood points, so I will do a little research on both before deciding.

I'm really happy that the cab fare is so reasonable.

I sure appreciate your help! Thanks again!

After asking here about possible hotels for NCL's Repo,I took the recommendation and checked out hotwire.The 4* hotel is indeed theWestin Waterfront.We decided to book this after exploring the pros and cons of other possibilities.Thank you for your help.:)

• 2 weeks later...

The W is an expensive hotel - typically folks on this board are looking for more reasonable accommodations.

What are your objectives while in Boston? Are you sightseeing? The W looks lovely, but quite frankly its location in the middle of the theater district would not be an attraction for me.

I have no idea what the Acura service is, but I'm assuming it's some sort of car service that the hotel arranges for you.

The W is an expensive hotel - typically folks on this board are looking for more reasonable accommodations.

What are your objectives while in Boston? Are you sightseeing? The W looks lovely, but quite frankly its location in the middle of the theater district would not be an attraction for me.

I have no idea what the Acura service is, but I'm assuming it's some sort of car service that the hotel arranges for you.

We will be using Starwood Points to pay for our stay in Boston. We have it narrowed down to the W and the Westin Waterfront. We will have a day and a half to sight-see in Boston before the day we board the ship. The Acura service is a car that is supposed to be of service to the guests of the W, but I was wondering if it would be available to go to the dock or if there would be a long wait to use the service. (The Westin Waterfront does not have the service.) We thought it might be more convenient to stay at the W to be nearer to the Freedom Trail area and Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall on Oct. 30 & 31, but more convenient to get to the dock on Nov. 1 if we stayed at the Waterfront. I think both places will be okay, but I am trying to find something to tip the scales in favor of one or the other. The reviews are quite comparable.

A free hotel is a free hotel. I'd definitely stay at the W. The taxi fare finder says that the cab fare from the W to the pier is about $12 incl tip, so even if it's $15, it's not a fortune. The W is more centrally located and there are many places you can walk.

We recommend the Westin Convention Center all the time because it is often on Hotwire at a terrific rate that is much less than any other upscale Boston hotel. There are good restaurants within walking distance of this Westin, but you have to take the T or a cab to get downtown to the Freedom Trail or Faneuil Hall. However, that is not your situation, so I'd go with the W.

• 3 months later...

Have you checked out their tourism website yet? MassVacation.com has an entire "Plan Your Trip" section that could be incredibly helpful when planning your future vacation to the city. It includes lodging based on area and different things you are interested in, so you would really benefit from checking it out before your trip. I used it to plan my recent travels and it was a HUGE help...hope this helps!

That website is ok for people who don't have anyone in the city to ask specific questions of, but the recommendations for things to do is kind of (for lack of a better word) random, and the accomodations are listed alphabetically, which doesn't really help most people.

Archived