Santorini - Oct. 26 too late in season?

jerrib

We are in Santorini on Oct 27. i emailed one of the companies that does that boat run to Oia. His reply was that they only run when a cruise ship is in port.

We are going to try that.

Cruisemom42, you have great suggestions/knowledge ! Have you been there a lot?

N

We are in Santorini on Oct 27. i emailed one of the companies that does that boat run to Oia. His reply was that they only run when a cruise ship is in port.

We are going to try that.

N

That's encouraging. We are there on the 18th, the only ship in town.

Thanks Big Nance!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

N

I love the Med, particularly the Eastern Med. I've done about 1 Med cruise a year for the last decade. :cool: . And about as many trips to Italy in the same period, with assorted other land trips to nearly every country bordering the Mediterranean Sea that's open for tourism.

You will be there at the latter part of their "season" and most places will still be open. As to the boats to Oia....you should consider that these are run by private companies who only do this to make a profit. If there are enough cruise ship passengers wanting to use those boats they will likely run. But if there are not enough customers, they might have you stand on the pier for an hour (or two) and then tell you "we are not running today." This actually happened to us on a previous cruise (which was in Santorini in late April). They would not run the boat unless they had at least 10 customers...which they did not get. DW and I waited about 10 minutes, and when we realized what they were doing (or not doing) we simply took off an did our own thing (we later took the local bus over to Oia). Another couple on our ship decided to wait and they waited for more then 2 hours before realizing they were wasting their day.

My advice with those boats is to not pay until you are certain they are going to actually operate.

Hank

Thanks for that info! We will be the only ship in port that day, same as JerriB. We are 2 couples. W may have one wait in the cable car line (if there is one) and have someone hang at the boat area for 10-15 mins.

Also, JerriB, we could post this option on our respective Roll Calls and maybe encourage more people to do it. Maybe get 10 people ahead of time.

But, definitely not pay until we know the boat is going. And soon!

Thanks to Hlitner for the heads up!

I love the Med, particularly the Eastern Med. I've done about 1 Med cruise a year for the last decade. :cool: . And about as many trips to Italy in the same period, with assorted other land trips to nearly every country bordering the Mediterranean Sea that's open for tourism.

Since you've been to this area quite a bit, I have another question about this time of year. We'll be going on a cruise to Italy and the Greek Isles beginning on October 12 and I'm not sure what to pack. Will it still be warm enough for capris and sandals? We'll be in Rome for a couple of nights precruise and will head south from there.

Since you've been to this area quite a bit, I have another question about this time of year. We'll be going on a cruise to Italy and the Greek Isles beginning on October 12 and I'm not sure what to pack. Will it still be warm enough for capris and sandals? We'll be in Rome for a couple of nights precruise and will head south from there.

Hi, MartinsCruise, I think I'm on your cruise, on the Reflection. I haven't been there, but my research shows expected high 73, low 59, little to no rain. Sounds great! Have you been on the roll call? See you on board.

Hi, MartinsCruise, I think I'm on your cruise, on the Reflection. I haven't been there, but my research shows expected high 73, low 59, little to no rain. Sounds great! Have you been on the roll call? See you on board.

Yes, we're on the roll call. We just changed from the Sept cruise to the Oct one a few weeks ago so trying to catch up. I expect that it will be cooler on this one but I'm hoping I can get away without long pants and shoes.

Sue

I don't know what it is like in Santorini, but in Gibraltar it started to drizzle today! It would not have put off tourists, but visibility is poor, the sun is hidden.

I am saying that to point out that towards the end of the Med summer, you need to expect anything. I would still prefer it to July and August though!!

The weather is variable at that time of year. Chances are it will be warm, but you could also have a cooler or even rainy day, especially in Rome. In Rome locals will be wearing fall clothes by mid October. White or pastel clothes will stand out. Longer capris in neutral colors would be fine. I don't wear sandals in Rome (except maybe going to dinner) as the streets are dirty. (!!)

In the Greek isles any resort wear, summer colors, sandals, etc. is fine.

The weather is variable at that time of year. Chances are it will be warm, but you could also have a cooler or even rainy day, especially in Rome. In Rome locals will be wearing fall clothes by mid October. White or pastel clothes will stand out. Longer capris in neutral colors would be fine. I don't wear sandals in Rome (except maybe going to dinner) as the streets are dirty. (!!)

Thank you for that advice. Since we are going Oct 22, and will be in the Greek Isles, but also Kotor and Montenegro and Venice, I’m going to have to throw some fall items in.

Plus my handy reversible raincoat (black/beige) that served as a spring jacket in Paris and a winter coat in Chile!

Thank you for the advice! I thought it may be different in Rome but never considered dirty streets. This helps a lot.