NO POL ON QM2...breaking news!

patwell

I can now share with you some breaking news direct from the QM2 and straight from the horse's mouth...In this case our very own Angela and Paul, in direct contact with me via phone not minutes ago. Upon entering their cabin this afternoon they found this in their wine bucket....Conte Bernardi Vino Spumanti (from Italy...well, DUH!!) NO POL....good grief...what if there's rust on something..what will they use? :eek:

Now I don't know about the rest of you but somehow when I hear the word vino I think of a paper bag...:eek:

I was not told if they plan to be adventurous or not and actually sample the stuff but I would guess that we'll hear more upon their return. They were in a rush to lifeboat drill so I guess the wine tasting will have to wait....probably a wise choice:rolleyes: Maybe if the weather is as rough as they heard it might get this will actually become an option....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

WOW!!! Penny!!! This is breaking news!!!! Thanks for keeping us up to date. Nothing better than news direct from the ship.

Babette, I was wondering the same thing! Do all the cabins get this Conte Bernardi Vino Spumanti or just those in the grills?

Let us know if you hear any other news, Penny.

Beth

Upon entering their cabin this afternoon they found this in their wine bucket....Conte Bernardi Vino Spumanti

Cheers, Penny

Isn't that what Pol Acker does with the grapes that aren't good enough to go into a Pol Acker bottle? With added sugar and fructose, of course! <G>

(ugh- Asti Spumante- Give me Pol Acker any day!)

ugh- Asti Spumante-

There is some hope, as small as it may be.

Spumante just means sparkling. Conte Bernardi Vino Spumanti does not have to be sweet stuff from Asti.

A google-search does not result in a full match but there is a sparkling Conte Bernardi which is dry but only a prosecco.

Perphaps they are changing to Asti from Pol Acker as it seems threads / poll / posts on the subject have now died a death on this forum.

And now opens it up to anti Asti threads, hopefully someone will test it as a rust remover..since Asti make a wide variety of wine, it might be nice, (but as its free i wont complain)

Brian

Isn't that what Pol Acker does with the grapes that aren't good enough to go into a Pol Acker bottle? With added sugar and fructose, of course! <G>

(ugh- Asti Spumante- Give me Pol Acker any day!)

No, Asti is made with white muscat grapes which are naturally quite sweet.

Ever eat concord grapes???? So much sweeter than regular table grapes.

No, Asti is made with white muscat grapes which are naturally quite sweet.

Ever eat concord grapes???? So much sweeter than regular table grapes.

I have eaten them. But more importantly, I have SMELLED them! When I was very young (aged 4 to 11) there was a house up the street a few blocks which had a backyard grape arbor. It was concords. I could stand there and take in that scent forever! It is truly an intoxicating scent! Today, that scent immediately transports me- With no luggage, lines or airport security! We live in the woods here, and deep in the woods nearby, at certain times of the year, I have drunk in that scent, though I have yet to find its source. I can also tell you the deer around here certainly have found the source (along with abandoned apple groves) It's some of the sweetest tenderest meat you will ever taste!

Karie

• 2 weeks later...
WOW!!! Penny!!! This is breaking news!!!! Thanks for keeping us up to date. Nothing better than news direct from the ship.

Babette, I was wondering the same thing! Do all the cabins get this Conte Bernardi Vino Spumanti or just those in the grills?

We were in an AA and our cabin had a half bottle of PA and a full bottle of the Conte Bernardi (don't know why both). Drank the PA first to get it over with (yes, we drank it, more as a mouthwash after lunch) and then actually quite enjoyed the Spumante. Not endorsing it, as the superior taste was possibly due to obvious comparison with the aforementioned libation.

We were in an AA and our cabin had a half bottle of PA and a full bottle of the Conte Bernardi (don't know why both). Drank the PA first to get it over with (yes, we drank it, more as a mouthwash after lunch) and then actually quite enjoyed the Spumante. Not endorsing it, as the superior taste was possibly due to obvious comparison with the aforementioned libation.

God bless, Michael and Ben, they brought their good stuff, Moet, to Chuck's and my cocktail party. Thanks fellas!

Personally I much prefer Asti, hated Pol Acker, now looking forward to the bottle in the cabin

Thank you Cunard

Thank them, you may, but if you want a tasty sailaway bubbly drink, in my humble opinion, you would be wise to bring a bottle of your own choosing and enjoy!

Thank them, you may, but if you want a tasty sailaway bubbly drink, in my humble opinion, you would be wise to bring a bottle of your own choosing and enjoy!

Well then, I think a nice chilled Gordon's and Schweppes thank you!:)

Well then, I think a nice chilled Gordon's and Schweppes thank you!:)

Sir/Madam,

At the risk of irrelevance,

Coming right up! (from your full-service friends at CC)

(Now get your a*s into the kitchen and fetch your own - what do think I am, the maid??)

Be it this dreaded Pol Acker fizz or the, its to sweet Asti fizz...

After watching that film "super size me", it got my some what limited grey matter working..;) and for the interests of science, i am willing to accept all those bottles that no one obviously wants, and i will aim to drink as many as i can over the 10 day cruise.

I will report the medical findings of this experiment at the end of the cruise, but i all ready know to expect, shakes, double vision, red eyes, sweating, slurring of speech, and wearing of coloured bow ties :eek:

I will leave details with the pursers office, so feel free to drop off the bottle here (paper bag to save embarrassment of anyone actually seeing you carrying said offensive bottle)

Dont worry I will have a full medical team on stand by, with the proper facilities...(airplane style bags :eek: headache tablets, & indegestion tablets)

Many thanks

Brian

I can now share with you some breaking news direct from the QM2 and straight from the horse's mouth...In this case our very own Angela and Paul, in direct contact with me via phone not minutes ago. Upon entering their cabin this afternoon they found this in their wine bucket....Conte Bernardi Vino Spumanti (from Italy...well, DUH!!) NO POL....good grief...what if there's rust on something..what will they use? :eek:

Now I don't know about the rest of you but somehow when I hear the word vino I think of a paper bag...:eek:

I was not told if they plan to be adventurous or not and actually sample the stuff but I would guess that we'll hear more upon their return. They were in a rush to lifeboat drill so I guess the wine tasting will have to wait....probably a wise choice:rolleyes: Maybe if the weather is as rough as they heard it might get this will actually become an option....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

I boarded the QM2 on Feb 19 and we had the POL. Maybe b/c their cruise was only a few days?

Archived