Drinks parties for suite guests

jules57

I know we weren't invited to anything on our first cruise which was 7 years ago. On our last cruise on the Oceana were were invited to a cocktail party with the officers. It was supposed to be for suite passengers only but we were told that as there are only 6 suites they had invited some other passengers. How they chose the other passengers I have no idea. I believe they used to have these parties for suite passengers years ago so maybe they are bringing them back.

Are suite guests, who are not yet peninsular club members, invited to any drinks parties/receptions whilst on board?

The only extra drink related privelige that you get as a suite passenger is the priority boarders lunch as you embark, but don’t hold your breath with that one. Food choice is very limited (and not great) and the drinks are cheap plonk (the ‘champagne’ is no such thing - it is vile, as is the white wine. The red is passable). You only get invited to the higher tier loyalty drinks receptions when you are Mediterranean tier and above, regardless of which cabin type you are in. There is a Captains Welcome Aboard drinks Reception on the 2nd night of 7 day or longer cruises, but that’s for the entire ship and the same plonk is served.

I know we weren't invited to anything on our first cruise which was 7 years ago. On our last cruise on the Oceana were were invited to a cocktail party with the officers. It was supposed to be for suite passengers only but we were told that as there are only 6 suites they had invited some other passengers. How they chose the other passengers I have no idea. I believe they used to have these parties for suite passengers years ago so maybe they are bringing them back.

That’s interesting and is perhaps unique to Oceana? We weren’t in a suite on our two cruises on her. We have, however, stayed in a suite on Britannia (3 times) and a Penthouse on Ventura and have never been invited to anything specifically for suite passengers.

That’s interesting and is perhaps unique to Oceana? We weren’t in a suite on our two cruises on her. We have, however, stayed in a suite on Britannia (3 times) and a Penthouse on Ventura and have never been invited to anything specifically for suite passengers.

We've been on world cruises in the Aurora Penthouse suite and never been invited to anything other than the Peninsular club parties. Our cruise on the Oceana was 35 days so whether it's going to be brought in now for longer cruises I have no idea. Our next cruise with P&O is a long one on the Aurora so I'll see what happens then.

When we were cruising with P&O, I don't think there were any suite parties, but there were certainly some Captains and Officers going on.

We renewed our wedding vows on Arcadia's Maiden Cruise, Captain Burgoyne got his wife to be a witness as we did not know anybody on board, a very memorable time. We had several cruises on Arcadia after that, and were always invited to the Captains party, initially there were probably 20 - 25 people there, but over the years the parties got larger.

We once went to a Gold lunch, and were placed on a table for nine. We sat down, a senior officer arrived but the other 6 did not turn up! We had a very interesting lunch, and later on received an invite to his party as well..

Edited by Adammara
spelling!

Are suite guests, who are not yet peninsular club members, invited to any drinks parties/receptions whilst on board?

Not anymore. Our first cruise in 2004 was also our honeymoon and when we arrived in our mini-suite on the old Adonia (sister ship to Oceana) we had 3 bottles of champagne waiting for us. One was for being first time cruisers with P&O, another was for choosing a suite category cabin and the third was to celebrate our honeymoon.

We were also invited to at least one party.

Now you get nothing other than a larger room really.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not anymore. Our first cruise in 2004 was also our honeymoon and when we arrived in our mini-suite on the old Adonia (sister ship to Oceana) we had 3 bottles of champagne waiting for us. One was for being first time cruisers with P&O, another was for choosing a suite category cabin and the third was to celebrate our honeymoon.

We were also invited to at least one party.

Now you get nothing other than a larger room really.

Obviously you didn't read my previous post. We were invited to a suite passengers only cocktail party for the first time in 7 years of cruising in suites. I'm wondering if this is a new thing being introduced for suite passengers on longer cruises.

I think perhaps you get a few more perks with a suite than a mini-suite apart from the butler don't you? I could be wrong:confused::confused:.:confused:

Obviously you didn't read my previous post. We were invited to a suite passengers only cocktail party for the first time in 7 years of cruising in suites. I'm wondering if this is a new thing being introduced for suite passengers on longer cruises.

I think perhaps you get a few more perks with a suite than a mini-suite apart from the butler don't you? I could be wrong:confused::confused:.:confused:

I travel is a suite rather a lot and never get an invite to anything apart from that due for my Baltic status.

I've only cruised with P and O on one previous occasion and that wasn't in a suite as we wanted to see what we thought about P and O first. Our previous suite experiences have been with Celebrity where little there were quite a few little treats which weren't advertised but that clearly isn't the case with P and O

I've only cruised with P and O on one previous occasion and that wasn't in a suite as we wanted to see what we thought about P and O first. Our previous suite experiences have been with Celebrity where little there were quite a few little treats which weren't advertised but that clearly isn't the case with P and O

I’m afraid that you are correct. Suite benefits are sparse. We appreciate the priority boarding (12.30pm but often earlier) and the Epicurean for breakfast (where the ship has one - although the menu is too restricted IMO) but the main advantage is the extra space. The few other things are very minor.

I’m afraid that you are correct. Suite benefits are sparse. We appreciate the priority boarding (12.30pm but often earlier) and the Epicurean for breakfast (where the ship has one - although the menu is too restricted IMO) but the main advantage is the extra space. The few other things are very minor.

Sorry Selbourne, I forgot about Epicurean (which we did enjoy on Ventura) and of course The Glass House on Aurora, and the early boarding is great, we even enjoy the embarkation lunch, though I know you're not a fan.

I hope they do bring in some more perks, as jules57 says, Celebrity outshines P&O by a mile in that department. We sail on the Silhouette in May - looking forward to it. [emoji4]

I did read your post. I was assuming it had been a one-off. Apologies, I should have made myself clear. [emoji4]

Sorry Selbourne, I forgot about Epicurean (which we did enjoy on Ventura) and of course The Glass House on Aurora, and the early boarding is great, we even enjoy the embarkation lunch, though I know you're not a fan.

I hope they do bring in some more perks, as jules57 says, Celebrity outshines P&O by a mile in that department. We sail on the Silhouette in May - looking forward to it. [emoji4]

Well it should outline P&O when the difference on a 14 night Cruise is over £1500 per person for a suite with the same amenities. Prices I used were for a two week cruise in July this year Celebrity £4600 for a sky suite P&O £3000 for a mid range suite on Britannia.

Well it should outline P&O when the difference on a 14 night Cruise is over £1500 per person for a suite with the same amenities. Prices I used were for a two week cruise in July this year Celebrity £4600 for a sky suite P&O £3000 for a mid range suite on Britannia.

100% correct, DaiB. You certainly do pay for those perks! Eye-wateringly expensive....[emoji31]

Just wonder what you mean by "the same amenities" though? You don't get the same amenities on Celebrity, you get way, way more..... [emoji848]

Just wonder what you mean by "the same amenities" though? You don't get the same amenities on Celebrity, you get way, way more..... [emoji848]

Well the list in the sky suite information is the same as for a P&O suite. So what extra do you get?

You do get a lot more in the Celebrity Suite but that is another £2000 on top of the Sky suite.

Well, I've not stayed in a sky suite so I'll have to list the obvious but there may be more I'm not aware of. The extras that I know sky suites get is a dedicated restaurant for breakfast, lunch (on sea days) and dinner plus a dedicated lounge which serves free drinks and snacks all day.

Higher suites get laundry, wifi, unlimited speciality dining, complementary premium drinks package (classic for Celebrity Suite), 2 bottles of spirits - refilled if required, exclusive sail-aways, reserved theatre seats on evening chic nights, exclusive Michael's Club concierge, and lots of other little touches. Embarkation was amazing.

You are right though, it's a lot more expensive, but they do treat you phenomenally well from my experience and I can't wait to sail with them again.

Having said that, I also love sailing with P&O and we will continue to do so, not least because we choose to sail from the UK and P&O are one of only a few who sail out of the UK all year.

We have also done a cruise on the Queen Victoria by the way, and although she is a lovely ship, and Cunard treat you very well, the food in Grills was great, and the service was fantastic, we prefer P&O's less ostentatious atmosphere. I'm not even referring to The Grills when I say that either. Hard to put my finger on it.

Our first P&O was in a suite and although the brochure did say we were to be invited to a cocktail gathering, that did not happen. But our first misstep was our misunderstanding of the quality of champagne that was part of the welcome package. Assuming it was a bottle of plunk as per competitive cruise line generosity, we gave it away. We now find that the product was in fact a reasonably good champagne. Oh well, next time.

Our first P&O was in a suite and although the brochure did say we were to be invited to a cocktail gathering, that did not happen. But our first misstep was our misunderstanding of the quality of champagne that was part of the welcome package. Assuming it was a bottle of plunk as per competitive cruise line generosity, we gave it away. We now find that the product was in fact a reasonably good champagne. Oh well, next time.

Yes, the Champagne in a Suite, Mni Suite or Superior Deluxe Cabin, or as part of a Welcome on Board package, is the real stuff, unlike the paint stripper served at the priority boarders lunch or Captains Welcome on Board Reception, which is most certainly not!

100% correct, DaiB. You certainly do pay for those perks! Eye-wateringly expensive....[emoji31]

I have just checked out a cruise on the Aurora which is our favourite ship. I couldn't find one in July but a 2 week cruise on the 2cnd August 2019 would cost £9304 for a midship suite. Quite a difference to the Britannia and yet no more perks. From what you say it would seem we would get far more for our money on Celebrity. Unfortunately from what I can see Celebrity don't seem to do longer roundtrips from Southampton other than 2 weeks. We prefer longer cruises and don't want to fly otherwise I could be tempted to give Celebrity a try.

I have just checked out a cruise on the Aurora which is our favourite ship. I couldn't find one in July but a 2 week cruise on the 2cnd August 2019 would cost £9304 for a midship suite. Quite a difference to the Britannia and yet no more perks. From what you say it would seem we would get far more for our money on Celebrity. Unfortunately from what I can see Celebrity don't seem to do longer roundtrips from Southampton other than 2 weeks. We prefer longer cruises and don't want to fly otherwise I could be tempted to give Celebrity a try.

You could always do a back to back?!

Aurora is also our favourite ship (of those we've tried) in the P&O fleet. I don't mean to bash P&O, but if you can get a suite for a comparable price on Celebrity, or even a little more, the benefits really are worth it in my (admittedly so far limited) experience.

You could always do a back to back?!

Aurora is also our favourite ship (of those we've tried) in the P&O fleet. I don't mean to bash P&O, but if you can get a suite for a comparable price on Celebrity, or even a little more, the benefits really are worth it in my (admittedly so far limited) experience.

Having just looked at the Celebrity boards and checked the sizes of suites the Sky suites are only the same as mini suites on P&O and much more expensive than on a normal cruise out of Southampton.

Go get a little extra you have to pay a hell of a lot more.