Cruising with Baby -Which Luxury Cruise Line?

Luxury For Less

Hi All,

We have friends who have recently had a baby and would love to cruise as soon as he is a little bigger. They would definately be more comfortable on a luxury cruise ship. Which luxury cruise line would it be acceptable for them to take their baby? We would hate to suggest a line and they feel uncomfortable and awkward travelling with their baby. We realise that creche facilities are limited on the luxury ships unlike on the megaliners but even if baby sitters were available for during dinner then that would be great. Would love your thoughts.

:)

I agree with Wripro. . . . Seabourn and Silversea in particular would prefer that children not be on board. I know that the baby is too young for a children's program, however, if they travel during summer breaks -- when Crystal (or Regent) advertise children's program's, they will be accepted without a problem (no babies in the pool, however). Goingany other time of the year and they are bound to be evil eye stars, people walking away from whatever area there are in, etc.

The luxury lines do not actively court families, much less infants. Plus, depending on the child's age, and the location of the cruise, they may have age limits---I know for some, the child needs to be 18 months or older for a number of their itineraries. I'm not sure your friends realize that for an infant, the cruise lines supply nothing---you must bring everything you need for the child including nappies, food, wipes, and all that. While I have seen a few infants on Regent, and the very ocassional infant on Crystal, they are not the norm. People pay a very high price to not have to face the things that go along with having kids of any age on a cruise ship. Recently, one of the luxury lines started a campaign to bring more families on their ships, and there was a very strong cry from their clientele that they did not want families/kids on that line. Also, no price break for an infant--at least not what you find on the mass market lines. And another thing is the personality of the child. If this child is not a good sleeper, well, that would be a huge problem. No one wants their very expensive vacation ruined by having a cabin next door to one that has a screaming infant every night while trying to sleep.

But if I were to suggest a line, I would say Regent. They have the largest cabins of any line out there, and that large of a cabin could accommodate the crib and all the other things required. The relatively small cabins on Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal would not be able to handle all of that unless they book their largest suites.

Another line I would suggest is Cunard. They have a nursery that accepts infants, and if they book a Princess or Queen's Grill class cabin, they could have a more upscale experience.

But if I were to suggest a line, I would say Regent. They have the largest cabins of any line out there, and that large of a cabin could accommodate the crib and all the other things required. The relatively small cabins on Seabourn, Silversea and Crystal would not be able to handle all of that unless they book their largest suites.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't send them to Regent. As I mentioned, Crystal and Regent do have times of the year when children are welcome. Unfortunately, people with babies and toddlers don't think about the fact that many of us have "been there -- done that" and no longer wish to vacation with crying babies, children splashing in the pool, etc. Crystal is at least as good for children as Regent is. They are a bigger ship with more facilities. So, if there is some strong desire to take a baby on a cruise ship, divide them up between Crystal and Regent (and only durring the summer or school breaks):o

Oh, I totally agree with you on this. But, I was trying hard to give the OP some choice. I know Crystal has kids on their holiday sailings and during summer, but I've heard some horror stories about this and how it changed the dynamics of the entire cruise. Yeah, I know some say "we never heard or saw the 120 kids at all", but we both know that's a bunch of bull. You put that many kids on a ship the size of Regent's or Crystal's, you're going to see and hear them. On one of Crystal's world cruises, we had a family where they had pre-school age kids, one an infant, and it was a problem because these kids got tired at dinner each evening and all you could hear was this cranky baby crying nearly every night and the parent's apparently oblivious to the noise. Unless you have a baby that's not colicky, can adapt to the changes and sleeps through the night, it's probably not a good idea to bring an infant on a luxury line.

Still, I do think the OP's best choice would be Cunard, in a Grill Class cabin. They have programs for infants and a nursery where they will change the diapers and all that.

If you don't think they would like the mainstream lines I suggest you try a Cunard ship. they are more upscale certainly than the mainstreams but are likely to be more forgiving about babies, they even allow dogs.

Sorry, but this made me laugh. If you put this on the Family Cruising Board, you'd get flamed beyond recognition. Babies and Dogs LOL LOL !!!!

But they put the dogs in a kennel. If they did that with babies it would be a different story.

Actually, when I was flying and we had a screaming infant in first class, my seatmate said "They should require all infants to be in a kennel in the baggage hold".

The luxury lines do not actively court families, much less infants.

I wish that were true, but it's not, at least at Crystal. :(

At Crystal Cruises' 2009 Top Producers Gala last year, Bill Smith, senior VP of sales and marketing for Crystal Cruises, was quoted:

"The biggest growth in Crystal’s luxury customer base is coming from the family group market, according to Bill Smith, Crystal’s senior vice president of sales and marketing. Even in a tough economic year, this trend has good sales potential for those agents eager to develop new business, he notes. Clients might say “we’re not going to buy that car this year, but you’re not going to take away that [family vacation] experience,” stresses Smith.

Smith says the line is working to assure both Crystal Society guests whose children may be grown (and don’t want to interact with any children onboard) to have a great experience. Smith says the key to keeping both groups happy is simple. “I don’t care how big or small your ship is, you have to space for them and programs for them,” Smith stresses. Crystal typically can accommodate up to 180 children on any one cruise."

Now THAT is catering to families! It wouldn't feel like a luxury experience to me to have 180 children onboard even if they are wearing little tuxedos and party dresses.

I

At Crystal Cruises' 2009 Top Producers Gala last year, Bill Smith, senior VP of sales and marketing for Crystal Cruises, was quoted:

"The biggest growth in Crystal’s luxury customer base is coming from the family group market, according to Bill Smith, Crystal’s senior vice president of sales and marketing. Even in a tough economic year, this trend has good sales potential for those agents eager to develop new business, he notes. Clients might say “we’re not going to buy that car this year, but you’re not going to take away that [family vacation] experience,” stresses Smith.

Does Mr. Smith think that the baby boomers are dead? We are still a very large portion of the population and are just reaching retirement age -- with 18 years of our generation to go (in terms of reaching retirement). We are the ones with both the money and time to travel.

I do not disagree that some young families can afford luxury cruise vacations. . . . but, the majority? Don't think so.

Does Mr. Smith think that the baby boomers are dead? We are still a very large portion of the population and are just reaching retirement age -- with 18 years of our generation to go (in terms of reaching retirement). We are the ones with both the money and time to travel.

I agree, and while we don't mind having some children onboard, we prefer a much more adult-oriented environment and would appreciate not having to avoid summer cruises just to ensure that we have the environment we want onboard.

I wish that were true, but it's not, at least at Crystal. :(

Smith says the line is working to assure both Crystal Society guests whose children may be grown (and don’t want to interact with any children onboard) to have a great experience. Smith says the key to keeping both groups happy is simple. “I don’t care how big or small your ship is, you have to space for them and programs for them,” Smith stresses. Crystal typically can accommodate up to 180 children on any one cruise."

Now THAT is catering to families! It wouldn't feel like a luxury experience to me to have 180 children onboard even if they are wearing little tuxedos and party dresses.

To hear tell it, on some of Crystal's cruises that had kids on board, it was NOT your typical Crystal experience. I have friends who were on board during a summer cruise and said it was not fun with over 100 kids on board. Of course, when you go over to the Crystal board and things like this are discussed, you have your usual suspects of Crystal cheerleaders who will not find anything wrong with Crystal and will have an excuse for whatever negative thing is brought up.

While I can understand a cruise line trying to line up future cruisers, you absolutely cannot do that at the expense of your loyal clientele. Crystal didn't seem to understand that when they did their infamous kids sail free promo on their Alaska sailings. But, when they did that, they saw their bookings fall with their frequent cruisers. When you have a ship with around 900 passengers, no way will having 180 kids on board not affect your cruise. No matter what, kids are kids and they can, and usually are, unruly from time to time. One of the reasons why I will not cruise in summer or during Christmas is because I don't want to have to contend with tons of kids on a small ship.

I did one Crystal (Thanksgiving, 2008) with about 100 persons under 18 (seemed to be heavy on teenagers, but all ages). That cruise was no problem - BUT it was just a 7 day Mexican Riviera - nothing special on the ports, etc. On that cruise it was "fun" to me to have the activity all around. That being said, I'd be plenty unhappy to have that many kids on a European cruise where I'd paid the big bucks!:D

I did one Crystal (Thanksgiving, 2008) with about 100 persons under 18 (seemed to be heavy on teenagers, but all ages). That cruise was no problem - BUT it was just a 7 day Mexican Riviera - nothing special on the ports, etc. On that cruise it was "fun" to me to have the activity all around. That being said, I'd be plenty unhappy to have that many kids on a European cruise where I'd paid the big bucks!:D

Crystal is offering two KIDS SAIL FREE cruises (and could add more later) in Europe this coming summer. I think those are shorter Baltic cruises...so far. Crystal copied the two-for-one (LOL) pricing of Regent, so I would not be surprised to see Crystal add more KIDS SAIL FREE cruises, too.

In addition, several of the longer, very expensive summer Mediterranean cruises have had well over 100 (more like 150+) children onboard. That was mentioned on the Crystal board, but participants seemed to think it was unusual and that it won't happen again. I don't think larger numbers of children are going to be unusual, and I think that Crystal is courting more families with special programs, not just the KIDS SAIL FREE sailings.

If Crystal would reduce their prices a bit, instead of keeping prices high and then offering special discounts to children (including teen-agers), then those of us who cruise without children would not feel like we are subsidizing the food, etc. of the free kids and we would cruise more often.

To hear tell it, on some of Crystal's cruises that had kids on board, it was NOT your typical Crystal experience. I have friends who were on board during a summer cruise and said it was not fun with over 100 kids on board. Of course, when you go over to the Crystal board and things like this are discussed, you have your usual suspects of Crystal cheerleaders who will not find anything wrong with Crystal and will have an excuse for whatever negative thing is brought up.

Your post is a breath of fresh air. I don't understand the reasoning of anyone who refuses to allow opposing views to be discussed, UNLESS those doing the posting have some personal gain by doing so. Oh wait, some of them DO!

Getting back to the topic...

Cunard is your answer, although probably in Grill class, not Britannia. Whilst they don't actively market to families, they have excellent creche facilities (including a night nursery) and they often have kids go free deals.

Archived