Cruise tiers

Dating Again

I have a question hopefully someone could answer.

Based on price only what are the "tiers" of cruising. and the average price for a balcony stateroom on a 7 day cruise. Im really trying to determine where I fit in the cruise world then I plan on looking specifically at those cruise lines in my price range for future cruises.

Tier Cruise Line Approx cost for 7 days W balcony

1 CCL/RCL $750ish

10 Private Yacht

This all really varies by many other factors such as the itinerary and the time of year and the overall damand for the cruise.

I can show you a wide range of prices on any cruise line in any category.

I would recommend going to the respective cruise line sites and looking at cruises that interest you and then the associated pricing. To me that is the best way to do the research.

Keith

I would not put RCI and Carnival in the number one position. For me, that belongs to Costa and MSC, as they are generally believed to be the least expensive cruise lines.

But as others have said, there are too many variables to be able to place cruise lines into a specific niche. See a local travel agent to determine where your budget fits.

Well, I'll throw this over the bow, not having travelled on most of these lines (and I don't know anything about most of the pricing except for the luxury lines.)

1. Carnival, Costa, MSC

2. RCI, NCL

3. Princess, HAL

4. Crystal

5. Regent, Silversea, Seabourn

I have only been on Regent. This year a 7-day Caribbean is in the $3500 pp range, but that includes everything, including air and excursions as well as tips, drinks, alternative dining, everything.

Most of the above numbers are based on research I've done over the year about the other lines. Don't jump on me folks, it's just my opinion.

Well, I'll throw this over the bow, not having travelled on most of these lines (and I don't know anything about most of the pricing except for the luxury lines.)

1. Carnival, Costa, MSC

2. RCI, NCL

3. Princess, HAL

4. Crystal

I have only been on Regent. This year a 7-day Caribbean is in the $3500 pp range, but that includes everything, including air and excursions as well as tips, drinks, alternative dining, everything.

Most of the above numbers are based on research I've done over the year about the other lines. Don't jump on me folks, it's just my opinion.

I am not going to jump on you but you have left off several different cruise lines and this is why the OP needs to do the research themselves and also get a good TA.

The missing cruise lines include

Windstar, Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara, Cunard (Premium)

Disney

Happag -Lloyd (Europa, probably the most luxurious of the lines)

Sea Dream, Sea Cloud (luxury)

Also, Crystal is a luxury cruise line.

Anyway, my recommendation remains the same.

The OP should do the research themselves and sould get a good TA.

And, prices vary on every cruise line. There is no set per diem cost.

I can find certain voyages on most luxury cruise lines at the same cost as those on Premium and possibly mass market lines depending on the specific voyage selected.

Keith

I agree with Keith, you need a knowledgable TA to guide you through this. Another thing to remember is that many mainstream lines include nothing more than your room and MDR meals. The luxury lines include much, much more. And with Crystals As You Wish credits along with the prepaid gratueties from most TA syndicates, they are as all inclusive as the other luxury lines. From there its apples and oranges depending upon itinery, special deals, what cabins you want, the list goes on forever. For us, we like Crystal. Fairly large ship, though well under 1000 when full, and a complete slate of activites for sea days. In addition, as with most luxury lines, there are no upcharges for the specialty restaurants.

Thank you all . I must admit that the way I framed my question wasn't exactly clear. Before I go through a TA What I'm hoping to do is know some of the specifics about the cruise line(s) in my price range For instance I would love to take a spring cruise. Looking at my budget its between 2500-3500/pp for a 7ish day cruise.

Keeping all of that in mind I could go on one of the more economical cruise lines and stay in one of the best rooms, or I could go on a luxury cruise line and stay in one of their lesser rooms. So my idea was to use the vast experience of the people on Cruise critic to help me become an informed shopper before I sit down with a travel agent.

While were on the subject of travel agents. The quality of the information you get from one to the next is much like a financial adviser often biased and quite varied. I prefer advice from people with a base of knowledge that have no financial interest in the decision I make. Maybe that's just me being cynical but it's who I am

So heres a question that probably should have been asked at the beginning. Is there a multi carrier website where I can plug in dates and a price range and get good search results? Then i could work through that list of cruise lines to see which one suite my needs for that specific trip.

Thank you all . I must admit that the way I framed my question wasn't exactly clear. Before I go through a TA What I'm hoping to do is know some of the specifics about the cruise line(s) in my price range For instance I would love to take a spring cruise. Looking at my budget its between 2500-3500/pp for a 7ish day cruise.

Keeping all of that in mind I could go on one of the more economical cruise lines and stay in one of the best rooms, or I could go on a luxury cruise line and stay in one of their lesser rooms. So my idea was to use the vast experience of the people on Cruise critic to help me become an informed shopper before I sit down with a travel agent.

While were on the subject of travel agents. The quality of the information you get from one to the next is much like a financial adviser often biased and quite varied. I prefer advice from people with a base of knowledge that have no financial interest in the decision I make. Maybe that's just me being cynical but it's who I am

So heres a question that probably should have been asked at the beginning. Is there a multi carrier website where I can plug in dates and a price range and get good search results? Then i could work through that list of cruise lines to see which one suite my needs for that specific trip.

Looking at your budget for a "7ish day cruise", it would help if you would define this further. Some luxury lines include items that are not included in mass market cruise lines. For instance, Regent and Silversea include airfare. Regent, Silversea and Seabourn include drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) as well as tips. Regent also includes some excursions. Therefore, if you take a mass market cruise that costs $2,500, when you add in airfare, tips, excursions, etc., you could exceed your budget. You also have open seating on luxury lines. The exception to the all-inclusivity is Crystal whose two ships are larger, do not include tips or drinks and has open seating (but, only by reservation)

There are some TA's that handle both luxury and mass market cruises. However, in the luxury arena, it is your best interest to have a TA that specializes in luxury cruises (it does not cost you anything. . . . plus, if they try to push you towards one cruise line. . . . drop them!)

Luxury ships are small which means there is not a party environment and few children (children appear during school breaks and the summer).

In the luxury cruise arena, the best buys tend to be on itinaries in Alaska and the Caribbean.

Lastly, in the opinion of many CC members, when you stay in the best suites on a mainstream cruiseline, when you walk outside of your "special" area, you are still on a mainstream cruise line. When you arrive in a port, 1800-6000 passengers may disembark. . . . . on luxury lines, 200-1000 will disembark. . . . quite a difference. Shortly, you will see posts from members who will argue with me. Please check out the websites and make the decision for yourself:)

Looking at your budget for a "7ish day cruise", it would help if you would define this further. Some luxury lines include items that are not included in mass market cruise lines. For instance, Regent and Silversea include airfare. Regent, Silversea and Seabourn include drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) as well as tips. Regent also includes some excursions. Therefore, if you take a mass market cruise that costs $2,500, when you add in airfare, tips, excursions, etc., you could exceed your budget. You also have open seating on luxury lines. The exception to the all-inclusivity is Crystal whose two ships are larger, do not include tips or drinks and has open seating (but, only by reservation)

There are some TA's that handle both luxury and mass market cruises. However, in the luxury arena, it is your best interest to have a TA that specializes in luxury cruises (it does not cost you anything. . . . plus, if they try to push you towards one cruise line. . . . drop them!)

I just want to note that there are other luxury cruise lines that were not mentioned such as Sea Dream and Sea Cloud.

Also, Crystal Cruises cruise fare does include air on all voyages, and their as you wish credit can easily be used for drinks and that all TA's who are part of the major consoritiums and major TA's who are indpendents do provide pre paid gratuities for those sailing with Crystal.

Keith

I think that you really need to do the homework yourself because none of us can comprehensively give you a list of cruises that will fit your budget without us having to go to each and every web site to look up the prices and the cruises that meet your criteria.

Here's what I would do.

You now have a list of almost all of the luxury, premium and mass market cruise lines.

Start with the list of the luxury lines. Go to their web sites and do searches which are relatively easy to do. Search by date and by lenght of cruise and the web sites will bring up the cruises that meet that criteria and you can then see if these meet your budget.

If not, go to the next tier of cruise lines that are in the premium class and do the same thing.

As travelcat2 correctly noted factor in which crulse lines include items such as air. But use the respective cruise web sites to dertmine that as they will note it on their sites.

But again, if this was me I would first start with the luxury lines and do the search yourself.

Then if you have questions we can help answer them.

The reason it is not easy for us to answer your question is that the prices do vary even within one cruise line by voyage. It's not like all voyages are priced the same way because they are not.

Again, you really can do a good deal of this research yourself, then come back with questions as well as then get a TA to work some of this for you.

Keith

I just want to note that there are other luxury cruise lines that were not mentioned such as Sea Dream and Sea Cloud.

Also, Crystal Cruises cruise fare does include air on all voyages, and their as you wish credit can easily be used for drinks and that all TA's who are part of the major consoritiums and major TA's who are indpendents do provide pre paid gratuities for those sailing with Crystal.

Keith

Did Crystal change to include cruise fares on all voyages? When did that occur? Sorry, just don't pay too much attention to Crystal . . . . too many "ifs" involved. For instance:

1. TA's may cover gratuities IF they are part of major consortium and IF they are "major" TA's (this does not seem to include drinks that add a 15% tip before -- or perhaps after -- you sign)..

2. You may have enough OBC's IF you do not drink too much and IF your cruise offers more than the minimum I've seen on the website.

3. You may have open seating -- IF you wait until 2011. Then, IF you make reservations and IF there is availability.

Crystal may be the top rated cruise line in many polls. The pricing is the same or equal to luxury cruise lines. The suites are smaller than other luxury cruise lines (excluding the one you mentioned -- Sea Dream Yacht Club which is really only one cruise line with two ships).

IMO, Crystal would give Silversea, Regent and Seabourn a run for their money IF they went truly all-inclusive. JMO.

Did Crystal change to include cruise fares on all voyages? When did that occur? Sorry, just don't pay too much attention to Crystal . . . . too many "ifs" involved. For instance:

1. TA's may cover gratuities IF they are part of major consortium and IF they are "major" TA's (this does not seem to include drinks that add a 15% tip before -- or perhaps after -- you sign)..

2. You may have enough OBC's IF you do not drink too much and IF your cruise offers more than the minimum I've seen on the website.

3. You may have open seating -- IF you wait until 2011. Then, IF you make reservations and IF there is availability.

Crystal may be the top rated cruise line in many polls. The pricing is the same or equal to luxury cruise lines. The suites are smaller than other luxury cruise lines (excluding the one you mentioned -- Sea Dream Yacht Club which is really only one cruise line with two ships).

IMO, Crystal would give Silversea, Regent and Seabourn a run for their money IF they went truly all-inclusive. JMO.

As part of the move to the 2 for 1 pricing in 2010 many of the Crystal itineraries include cruise air and in 2011 they all do. The air is either economy or in some cases business depending upon voyage and the category of cabin that is booked.

With so many cruise lines that are part of the original posters question, this is why my recommendation is to keep this thread focused on what cruise lines are out there for luxury, premium and mass market and let the original poster look at each of them so that complete information is obtained. I also don't see a need to highlight some cruise lines over others and that is why in my original posts I only listed the cruise lines. I only mentioned Crystal to correct some of the information.

I could easily use my on board credits on any voyage to to cover all of our drinks (eg., wine, etc.) without a problem.

Again, I truly believe that we are all better off to avoid pushing one cruise line over the other. We also have to remember that in the end, the value is different for each person. And we all need to remember that there is no one cruise line that is all inclusive. They all charge for various items.

We are fortunate that there is a good deal of choice available depending on our preferences and how much money we want to spend for the cruise.

I do think that the original poster will be far better off to do the research themselves with a 100% open mind to find what might work better for them. I know that's what we did when we started to cruise and we have been fortunate to have sailed on several cruise lines in each of these categories.

Keith

We will be getting $1750 in OBCs from both Crystal and our TA on our Crystal cruise to Alaska. We are also getting pre-paid gratuities as well. My wife and I are very into wines and order some very expensive wines. We have cocktails whenever we want them, also with top shelf stuff. We go on excursions. We enjoy the wine and food pairingIn other words, we use the facilities our ship to the fullest. $1750 will more than cover our cabin bill. We did not spend that much on a 14 day cruise to Mexico several years ago. All the luxury lines have some sort of all inclusive arrangement. At the risk of sounding snarky, I think Travel Cat has a bone to pick with Crystal. Could it be that he does not like to sign checks?

As part of the move to the 2 for 1 pricing in 2010 many of the Crystal itineraries include cruise air and in 2011 they all do. The air is either economy or in some cases business depending upon voyage and the category of cabin that is booked.

With so many cruise lines that are part of the original posters question, this is why my recommendation is to keep this thread focused on what cruise lines are out there for luxury, premium and mass market and let the original poster look at each of them so that complete information is obtained. I also don't see a need to highlight some cruise lines over others and that is why in my original posts I only listed the cruise lines. I only mentioned Crystal to correct some of the information.

I could easily use my on board credits on any voyage to to cover all of our drinks (eg., wine, etc.) without a problem.

Again, I truly believe that we are all better off to avoid pushing one cruise line over the other. We also have to remember that in the end, the value is different for each person. And we all need to remember that there is no one cruise line that is all inclusive. They all charge for various items.

We are fortunate that there is a good deal of choice available depending on our preferences and how much money we want to spend for the cruise.

I do think that the original poster will be far better off to do the research themselves with a 100% open mind to find what might work better for them. I know that's what we did when we started to cruise and we have been fortunate to have sailed on several cruise lines in each of these categories.

Keith

I agree and was trying to keep it on that level. When you made the one word mention of Crystal, "martinsfo" went into a bit of detail about Crystal (and even more detail later). While Crystal, from everything I've read, is not our cup of tea, I do not have a "bone to pick with it". Perhaps with some of the posters. . . . but that is not for this thread.

When someone points out their view of positives (or negatives) of a specific line, my tendancy is to give my perceptions as well. My point, Keith, is that perhaps you should have quoted martinsfo post rather than mine.

In any event, it is interesting to learn that airfares are being included . .. much in the same way the rest of the luxury lines do. It's a bit like follow the leaders. . . .

I agree and was trying to keep it on that level. When you made the one word mention of Crystal, "martinsfo" went into a bit of detail about Crystal (and even more detail later). While Crystal, from everything I've read, is not our cup of tea, I do not have a "bone to pick with it". Perhaps with some of the posters. . . . but that is not for this thread.

When someone points out their view of positives (or negatives) of a specific line, my tendancy is to give my perceptions as well. My point, Keith, is that perhaps you should have quoted martinsfo post rather than mine.

In any event, it is interesting to learn that airfares are being included . .. much in the same way the rest of the luxury lines do. It's a bit like follow the leaders. . . .

I am now lost.

I only brought up Crystal in the first place because when you post number 9 said that Seabourn and SIlversea offered inclusive air and did not mention Crystal and also went on to say that Crystal was not all inclusive so I pointed out that it does have the as you wish credits and the pre paid gratuities which are provided by many TA's.

As was the case with an earlier post by another poster which failed to mention several other luxury, premium and mass market lines I responded to that post by adding several other cruise lines that are not mentioned.

I have gone out of my way on these types of boards to not recommend one specific line over the other and to suggest that people need to do the research themselves.

Anyway, the point of my posts is that the original poster should start by doing a lof of the homework themselves because none of us has the time to do all the research for the OP.

The original poster needs to look up all of the cruises that meet the cruise fare cost as mentioned and then look to see what is included and not included with on each cruise.

Matinsfo post which is number 7 doesn't have any incorrect information in it. Matinsfo did not mention other cruise lines and try to say what they included or did not include.

Anyway the key is for the OP to look at the details which is what I did when I booked my first cruise and is what I do each and evertime I consider booking with another cruise line.

The key is to do some research on ones own and to also have a solid TA help as well and then come back to the boards with a few pointed questions rather than one very general question that would take days to properly answer.

Keith

No matter how generic the question is here some people will always lead things back to their favorite cruise line. The only thing I want to respond to in the OP's query is the choice between a bigger suite on a cheaper line or a lesser suite on a luxury line. Unless you plan to spend the entire cruise in your suite be aware that on that cheaper line once you leave your suite you will be on a mass market ship with inferior food and service. On a luxury ship you will be treated to great food and service throughout.

I am now lost.

I only brought up Crystal in the first place because when you post number 9 said that Seabourn and SIlversea offered inclusive air and did not mention Crystal and also went on to say that Crystal was not all inclusive so I pointed out that it does have the as you wish credits and the pre paid gratuities which are provided by many TA's.

Keith

Don't want you to be lost. . . . you simply missed looking back at one word on your post #6. All you did was mention that "Crystal" was a luxury line. This was part of a list of cruise lines. Martinsfo post #7 is what I responded to. The following is part of post #7:

"........................ And with Crystals As You Wish credits along with the prepaid gratueties from most TA syndicates, they are as all inclusive as the other luxury lines. From there its apples and oranges depending upon itinery, special deals, what cabins you want, the list goes on forever. For us, we like Crystal. Fairly large ship, though well under 1000 when full, and a complete slate of activites for sea days. In addition, as with most luxury lines, there are no upcharges for the specialty restaurants. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Okay -- enough debating - just didn't want you to be lost because we need your valuable input (even if I don't always agree with you):)

I am not going to jump on you but you have left off several different cruise lines and this is why the OP needs to do the research themselves and also get a good TA.

The missing cruise lines include

Windstar, Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara, Cunard (Premium)

Disney

Happag -Lloyd (Europa, probably the most luxurious of the lines)

Sea Dream, Sea Cloud (luxury)

Also, Crystal is a luxury cruise line.

Yes, I knew I was missing some, it was an off-hand list. So I'd do it this way then:

1. Carnival, Costa, MSC

2. RCI, NCL

3. Princess, HAL, Celebrity

4. Crystal, Oceania, Azamara

I won't include the others because I know nothing about them.

Yes, I knew I was missing some, it was an off-hand list. So I'd do it this way then:

1. Carnival, Costa, MSC

2. RCI, NCL

I hadn't realized you had sailed on all of these lines to be able to put them into tiers.

1. Carnival, Costa, MSC

2. RCI, NCL

In every publication, Crystal is in the luxury category. No way do they belong in a tier with Oceania and Azamara, for many, many reasons. Crystal is not a premium line, but luxury.

Wendy, I had a feeling you'd be in trouble on that one. It's all a matter of perception;)

Actually that is not the case.

In all publications as Kitty correctly noted Crystal Cruises along with the others that Wendy noted, plus a few that were not noted are listed as Luxury Cruise Lines.

The same goes for all of the ones that I listed in the premium and the mass market lines.

Actually that is not the case.

In all publications as Kitty correctly noted Crystal Cruises along with the others that Wendy noted, plus a few that were not noted are listed as Luxury Cruise Lines.

The same goes for all of the ones that I listed in the premium and the mass market lines.

Sorry Keith, this is just an inside thing that some Regent passengers have. We (Regent passengers) are the first to say that Crystal is a #1 (tied with Regent) cruise line. It is in the luxury the category . . . . the same as Regent is in the "large ship" category (obviously mis-categorized). That is what I meant by perception.

I have to apiologise for my snarky comment about signing checks. I remember it being a very big, but to me, insignificant thread several months ago. To some it is a deal breaker. To me, I don't care. In time my wife and I will probably try all the luxury lines. Right now, traveling with a teenager, we need to go during school vacations and make sure that the line wwe travel on has activities geared towards him. We almost took Regent last year, free air, kids free in room, free excursions. But we traveled to Israel instead. To us, itineray is paramount.

Archived