nook or kindle?

tutuwahineLV

which e-reader do you use when you cruise, and why do you prefer it.??

I'm getting ready to purchase one and was leaning towards the kindle till I read some of the stuff about the nook from the ces this year...they were raving about it and its being better than kindle. And, I can actually get my hands on a nook at the B&N up the street without having to wait for it to be shipped.....now I'm undecided again.

Please help.... thanx:o

When I cruise it's to get away from everyone and everything. To take the time to rebuild the romance with my wonderful lady, and to show her in very special ways how much she means to me. Sometimes it's hard to always do on a day to day basis, with all the outside interference. It's a time to recharge and revive. Time to say the hell with the outside world... So my answer would be NEITHER!!!:eek:

Living in Australia we chose the kindle because it was the first to introduce an international version.

My wife and I both have a kindle, in the past we cruised with about 10 books and now we don't.

When we buy a book we can elect to both have a copy or just one of us, for the same price. It is downloaded without any human action - it just arrives. If we remove a book and want to revisit it at a lated date, we can download again without cost.

On board, it's like being in a private club, other Kindle users acknowledge you, and it's kinda nice.

My husband had the kindle and was given the nook as a gift..he seems to prefer the nook..he gave me one..didn't have the kindle so I can't compare them.

To be honest sounds really like the I Pad is the way to go as it even has the back light.

Nook is touchscreen so the keyboard is on the touchscreen... I can turn pages with the flick of a finger... no buttons to push... I have joint issues with my fingers so this works better for me...

Same price as kindle... more and better content available for nook... Store support if something goes wrong... Kindle has some catching up to do...

Nook is touchscreen so the keyboard is on the touchscreen... I can turn pages with the flick of a finger... no buttons to push... I have joint issues with my fingers so this works better for me...

Same price as kindle... more and better content available for nook... Store support if something goes wrong... Kindle has some catching up to do...

Thank You - I also read your post on the Just Brought A Kindle... thread - I like the turning pages with a flick of a finger part and also, I notice the typewriter format on the Kindle - all those keys =

Carol

Recently bought a Nook and just love it. They just released a software upgrade that has games and allows you to access the internet. I researched both Kindle and Nook but found that the Nook seems easier to use, at least for me.

So is the internet on the nook available anywhere? I understand it is for the Kindle and is free. Is it the same for the Nook> Just trying to make a decision. I was really liking the Kindle, but have found that you cannot "borrow" ebooks from the library with it. I cannot afford to buy everything I want to read. I do buy alot of books, just can't afford to buy them all, let alone store them.

Also another question, is the nook as easy to read as the Kindle claims to be, especially outside? (Like in the tropics on a beach).

Thanks for any help.

I have had my Kindle for just over a year, and am their biggest fan. I like the fact that it doesn't have a back light. It reads like a book. Easy on the eyes.

I also live in the keys, and take it to the pool /beach, etc, with no issues.

The size is perfect to slide in my purse. Have to sit in a waiting room for something, never an issue, I always have a book at hand to pass the time. Recently saw the I-pad. Looks Great but it is bigger, not as portable. Doesn't just easily slide into a purse.

So is the internet on the nook available anywhere? I understand it is for the Kindle and is free. Is it the same for the Nook> Just trying to make a decision. I was really liking the Kindle, but have found that you cannot "borrow" ebooks from the library with it. I cannot afford to buy everything I want to read. I do buy alot of books, just can't afford to buy them all, let alone store them.

Also another question, is the nook as easy to read as the Kindle claims to be, especially outside? (Like in the tropics on a beach).

Thanks for any help.

Internet on the Nook is available where there is a WIFI connection available. Yes, it is free. I find the Nook very easy to read. There is no glare and you can change the font as well as the size of the font. I'm sure you can on Kindle also. Thank goodness I won't have to use reading glasses anymore! LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Kindle. It was all in the timing. I wanted it before I left on Thanksgiving for my Aussie cruise, and the Nook wouldn't be available until halfway through my cruise. So, Kindle it was!

--Michael

I haven't seen an iPad yet, have never laid hands on a Kindle, and just bought a nook, but FWIW:

iPad and nook are apples and oranges. If you want a portable e-reader with most of kindle's bugs worked out, nook. If you want a multi-purpose mini-computer which also has e-reader capability, iPad.

I got the nook for christmas and I love it , it is wonderful I have never had a problem with it I like the touchscreen and the sofware up was a nice touch I will be glad to have it on the cruise with me... I also enjoy listening to music at the same time as reading which you can do with the nook esp on a airplane, just put on my headphones and blockout everything

I bought my wife a Kindle for Christmast of 09. She loves it; she just returned from a 16 day trip to the Holyland. After a 10 hour flight to Jordon, then 13 days in Jordon and Israel, then another 12+ hour flight from Tel Aviv back to the states, she said her Kindle still had half a charge left. That speaks for itself.

I am a happy Nook owner. After our 18 night Asia cruise/vacation where I took 9 books I knew I had to get something. The Nook has more going for it in my opinion since it is built with Android technology and apps can be pushed to it just like a phone. They recently pushed a games app and a internet app. Additionally you can sideload all different types of books onto it and not just buy from one store (ie...with kindle you must buy from amazon). You can also share your books and borrow books from the library and from others. You can also sideload free books and public domain books.

IPAD I think is not comparable to the Nook or Kindle since it's not made to be an ereader. EReaders use e-ink to be easy on your eyes...IPAD reading is like reading from a PC or TV screen and is hard on the eyes over time. If you're an avid reader that can't put books down once you start, I wouldnt get a IPAD to read books on.

more and better content available for nook... Store support if something goes wrong... Kindle has some catching up to do...

Actually, that's untrue.. Barnes and Noble counts the free public domain content as their books, while Amazon doesn't count them as their Kindle content. There is more Kindle content through Amazon available for the Kindle than there is content through Barnes and Noble for the Nook. Also, many Targets are now selling Kindles, so you have store support there.. Not sure where the 'Kindle has catching up to do' comment stems from, the Nook is a first gen. product with many issues, and the Kindle has years of background with time to work out the kinks.

And this is from an owner of both that is quite happy with both..

Check out mobileread, they have a great forum with tons of great info. Kindleboards also has a really nice non-biased section for those with other e-readers.

This thread is helpful. I don't like any device with touch screens. So if I were to invest in an e reader would be a kindle if I ever decided to give up my real books. But I still love going into the bookstore and actually selecting my book.

But hardcovers just add weight to your suitcase. I do like to sit an read a good book while on vacation on down time. Kindle would be my vote

Alrana

Archived