Need the "inside" Scoop

Spincognito

4J is a handicap cabin, unless you need it, please save it for those who do. Not trying to start a debate, but booking this category when you don't need it is the equivelant as parking in a handicap space when you don't need it.

Most 4J cabins are not HC. Some of them are. And I see nothing wrong with booking them, as long as you know going into it that you might get bumped.

Be aware though that some porthole cabins, particularly the ones that are at the front of the ship on lower decks, have more noise. I've heard people complain that they could hear every time a wave hit the hull.

Well, yeah! That's where you are. :eek: That's why they are cheap. It's actually a relaxing sound.

We usually book mid-ship balcony and ocean view cabins. Our last cruise in August, we had a balcony, but we didn't use it much due to it being way too hot. Our next cruise, we will be in a 4J (non-handicap) cabin that is much larger than a normal cabin. I am really excited about it. By booking that cabin, we will sail on a 7 day for about what we would normally pay for a 5 day.

I have never stayed in a true inside cabin. I think I would like the dark, but I tend to get claustraphobic and I just don't know if I could handle it.

When I first started cruising, it was with my parents. The first two cruises were insides and I hated them. We actually got a porthole on the third cruise. Now that I've been cruising solo or with my fiance, it's balcony only for me. I'd never go back to an inside cabin.

I'm opposite... I've done insides and did a balcony this last cruise.... I don't feel the balcony was worth the extra money (around $600 for that one). It was nice to have quick access to the outside, but we spent more time on the lido deck and the front of the ship than anything. This time around, we're doing same deck (lido) but an inside... Saving the $$ for Alaska in September :)

We did try an inside cabin, once. That was enough! Although, as others have said, it's the same size as an O.V. (or balcony) cabin, we felt claustrophobic. We like having a window to look out, or, more preferably, a balcony to sit on. Unless it was offered to us free, I would never book an inside cabin again. I'll gladly pay a bit more for an outside cabin. If you're thinking about trying an inside cabin, I would suggest trying it on a shorter cruise, such as a four or five day cruise. If you like it, then you could always book one again on a longer cruise. If you hate it (as we did), then at least you'll know you won't have to put up with it for very long.

I agree with you 300%

We split the difference. We try to take a spring cruise and then a fall cruise, one is 5 days the other is 7 or 8 days. The shorter cruise is usually an inside, the longer cruise is balcony only. Neither DH or myself can handle an inside for a week, 5 days is our limit. Next year, it looks like I'm going to get a ton of overtime so I may get a balcony for our short cruise too.

I have done a mix and I could go back to an inside cabin - no problem. We do balconies at the moment because we have a toddler, when he gets a little older and we know there won't be times we are stuck in the room we will go back to an inside cabin. I like them because they are great for naps/sleeping (very dark) and the fact that having an inside encourages you to do more things outside of the room. Your idea is a good one, get an inside on the lido deck and a short few steps you will be outside :) Good luck!

DW and I have cruised 8 times, all Carnival. First cruise we did OV and have done all balconies since including one suite (honeymoon!). We have cruised once per year and would like to increase the frequency and do perhaps 2 per year. This would mean cost-cutting which of course is most easily done by booking less expensive cabins.

Who here has been an all-balcony cruiser and then tried an inside? How did you like it? If so, what were the biggest surprises positive/negative?

We like the balocnies for the obvious reasons, coffee in the morning, light in the room plus DW is a smoker (sigh) and the convienience factors in. We also like to sit out there very late at night and enjoy the skies and sounds.

An inside cabin would be a major adjustment to our cruise experience but would it be enough to significantly decrease the overall enjoyment?

If we do indeed decide to go "inside", we will likely try to get a cabin close an outdoor area like just inside the Lido deck. Anyone done this?

Spin

When it's just 2 of us on the cruise we will book an oceanview and sometimes an inside. But when the 3 of us go we always book a balcony. I know the square footage of the actual cabin is the same, but having the extra space on the balcony helps absorb some of 3rd person cramped~ness.

An inside cabin for 2 people is not the same size as an OV or balcony, I am not sure where everyone is getting that information. We stayed in an inside on Fascination, and it was so small. There is no couch or table, only a bed and one tiny chair stuck in a corner. That's it. I will not book an inside again because of space issues, I will always book at least an ocean view solely for the space. DH likes to take naps and sometimes I'll hang in the room with him and I got claustrophobic in the tiny inside room. I suggest you look for a decent priced OV in off season.

• 1 month later...
If you have become accustomed to a balcony, it might be difficult to enjoy your cruise without one. I know over the past three years we spend even more time on the balcony because we want to enjoy the fresh sea and air, but can no longer stand the loud DJ's on the Lido. I also tend to get claustrophobic so a balcony is the perfect solution. How can you feel pinned in with a vast ocean in front of you?

My sister switches back and forth depending on what her budget is for that particular cruise. She says not having a balcony does encourage them to do more around the ship because they are bored in their room. (and her DH smokes) I have noticed though that when she has a inside room, she generally has more complaints about the cruise overall. I think you have to be satisfied with your surroundings to really let go of the little annoyances and enjoy the cruise.

Personally, if a balcony makes me happy, I would find other things to cut back on pre cruise to be able to afford it. Less Starbucks, take my lunch to work, more organized errand running to save on gas, or whatever. When on vacation, I don't want to sacrifice.

My opinion is to choose an inside or balcony. If outsides are the same price as an inside consider them as well, but you may find yourself "pining" for a balcony if all you have is a window.

I try to cruise over Christmas or New Years which usually forces me into an inside anyway. I love balconies but the premium for them can be significant from time to time.

My first two cruises were in interior cabins, with friends, then when I started going with my family we've only done balconies/suites. On my next cruise, I'm in an OV for the first time.

Really, if you're not spending a ton of time in the room, an interior is the way to go. I LOVE the balcony, don't get me wrong, but I know they can be very expensive. For example, a balcony room on our cruise next month is double the cost of what our OV room is.

One note about your DW being a smoker...the reason my family books the balcony rooms is because my father is a smoker and likes the convenience of just being on the balcony rather than having to go way up on the top of the ship. Now, if she is an occasional smoker this won't be a problem, but it may become an inconvenience to her to have to go up top to smoke. That is definitely one plus for the balcony....even though others will complain about the smoke! :o

Just be mindful that it is EASY to oversleep in an interior room, as there is no natural light...obviously alarms/wake up calls will quell this, but if you don't have those set it can be a rude awakening when you finally do get out of bed and turn on the TV for the time and see that it's much later than you anticipated...

I would say definitely go for it..you'll get twice as much fun for your money!

[quote name='wrigley80']We've definitely had a mixture of cabins with everything from an inside to balconies. An inside cabin is going to have the same amount of floor space as a balcony cabins.
We cruise 2-3 times a year and we are able to do that because we look for low rates during off-peak cruising times.
If you want some natural light then try a porthole cabin. You can get them for the price of an interior cabin....sometimes porthole cabins are even cheaper[/quote]

We do this as well. Leave the bathroom light on at night for a nightlite.

Only in cabin to sleep and shower and a nap by DW so do not think a balcony is all that important. We also cruise 3x per year.

• 2 weeks later...
This is first time with an inside cabin. Does anyone have any suggestions for waking up in the morning when it is pitch black in the cabin. I usually wake up when it gets light. Thinking of taking a timer and plugging a night light into it to come on at say 7 or so?? Any suggestions????