Question about cancellation insurance Ce I A

slanik

My sister-in-law has been battling breast cancer for several years. Unfortunately it looks like she may lose her battle soon. She is now in hospice care. It’s an incredibly sad situation. We have a cruise planned for Feb 18. We booked the cruise last February and purchased the insurance through Celebrity. Obviously we had no idea her condition would worsen at this time. If she should pass shortly before our cruise, would the insurance cover 100% of what we paid? It was a pre-existing condition, but nothing predictable at the time we booked. Any insight is appreciated..

It looks like they have a 60 day look back from the date you purchased the insurance. I think you would be best to call them and discuss the particulars of her condition during the look back.

The benefit of their policy is that if you have to cancel and it's not covered due to the pre-existing condition I believe you are still entitled to a future cruise certificate for 75% of the non-refundable fare.

I personally don't buy their insurance due to the lack of a pre-existing conditions waiver, plus I want higher limits. I purchase a policy using insuremytrip.com after comparing policies that meet my criteria.

In my experience, the pre-existing conditions are for the passengers only. Several times we had to cancel cruises because our parents were sick/hospitalized then passed away, and we were always covered 100% by Celebrity's insurance. They did not care that the elderly parents...who were not traveling...had pre-existing conditions. It is only if you, personally, the passenger has a pre-existing condition that it matters.

It is not 100% clear from your post whether your sister-in-law had planned to go on the cruise with you.

You may be fully covered if a doctor will certify that you need to be nearby because of her critical condition. We had that happen with my MIL twice. She was hospitalized with a potentially fatal condition. We were fully reimbursed. I suggest you contact the company and ask if this would be covered.