Cozumel Excursions Question...

tracymtx

It seems most people do their own exploring rather than doing a ship excursion. Does this seem like a correct assessment? We are going to Cozumel for the first time in July and trying to decide on an excursion. Originally, we were looking at ship excursions, exclusively, as they seem to be the easiest and less to worry about. However, after reading everyones helpful comments on this Board, we are now considering Nachi, or other AI beach resorts.

Cozumel is one of the easiest and safest ports in the Caribbean - no need to overpay for a cruise line excursion.

Cabs are fairly well regulated on Cozumel (especially compared to the crooks in Philly! :( ), and you will find the fares posted on a board near the cab line for your pier. There are 3 cruise ship piers on Cozumel - be sure to return to the correct pier (it can be a challenge after 10-11 margaritas! ;) )

Do some homework and then post your questions on the board if you need any updates. Good luck & have a great cruise! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, JohninDC! I am a little bit (okay, maybe a lot) of an over-thinker and tend to worry when in an unfamiliar place. I appreciate your comments and will continue to search for the "perfect" excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

:o:oWe like to eat in Cozumel so normally do our own thing.

If you see an excursion offered by the ship that you like, there's nothing wrong with taking it .... it's the easy way to take an excursion. ;)

My family and I went to Cozumel in March for the first time ever. The kids wanted to swim with dolphins so I got us tickets to dolphin discovery rather than the (at the time) only option from the ship was for another dolphin outfit, but I wanted to see Chankanaab as well so decided to do that. Then when we got there I realized I had forgot to pack my water shoes, so I asked a random port worker which store would have water shoes. He was super helpful and gave me exact directions to LEAVE the port and go to the Mega store a block or so down the road and buy them for much cheaper. I asked a few other people on the way if we were headed in the right direction and every single person I dealt with was super, super friendly and helpful. We got a cab from Mega on to Chankanaab. (Dolphins was amazing, by the way, and Chankanaab was very nice, if a rather busy beach.)

Bottom line, I wouldn't feel apprehensive at all about doing your own thing in Cozumel. Enjoy it!

Everything you want as far as beach activity, shopping, restaurants is all along one coast line, so it's easy to get around. Plus, cab fare is standardized and inexpensive. Cozumel is everything we love about Mexico (culture, food, etc) in a nice safe and friendly environment. If you see an excursion you like through the cruise line, check out the venue's website. You can usually do it for significantly less on your own. The dolphin swim and all the beach clubs are cheaper to go on your own and so easy to get to. Tourism is the main industry in Cozumel so pretty much everyone speaks English. We're going to Cozumel in October and can't wait. It's really the perfect blend of foreign and familiar.

My friends and I will be in Cozumel next March and had a hard time deciding on what to choose to do. We ended up recently booking Mr. Sanchos with a couple of extra activities. We are also looking into other things we can do on our own. We liked the Tequila excursion.

If it were me I'd hang out at the beach for all ports. I'm taking my husband this time around in July and in Cozumel we're doing the Surf and Turf excursion; he wants to do things other all beach days.

• 3 weeks later...

We did Cozumel cooking school - which was highly recommended by TripAdvisor- and had a wonderful time. It was my husband and I and our 15 year old daughter. I posted details in our trip report. https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/ Just make sure you know which port you are coming in to so you can choose convenient excursions. For us - we were on Norwegian and the cooking school was walking distance from port. Have fun!