Which ship?

Hi all, I am hoping for some feedback. I have been on several cruises. The ships were smaller (Grandeur and Sovereign). I am looking for a Western Caribbean cruise in April, 2019. The cruise would be for my husband and I (both 50 years old and active). There are several different ships with destinations of interest. I would love try an Oasis class ship. However, I have read that the bigger ships have more challenges with getting into shows. As well as, getting pool side chairs, getting around and feeling crowded. I would like some feedback from those of you who have sailed on both, your experiences and recommendation. Thanks in advance!!!! Excited to cruise RC again!!!!

We have recently sailed on the Allure and we went on Liberty of the Seas last year.

With Allure, we booked our show slots ahead of time but we still needed to get to the theater early to get good seats.

On Liberty, even though you don’t have to reserve tickets, you still need to show up early to grab seats. The Allure had more shows because of the addition of the aqua theater. There was also a comedy club too.

Both ships were the same as far as trying to find a pool chair. We were always able to find chairs available so that wasn’t an issue on either ship.

You will have a good time either way. The Allure was impressive though and I liked the added cafes and there was also a cafe on the pool deck.

Yes - more people are at the production shows on Oasis Class ships......because IMHO the Oasis class shows are bigger and better. On the smaller ships the late shows are not as well attended.

Agreed - the pools on all ships can be a challenge. On the small ships you may only have one pool. They tend to be packed on sunny sea days. On Oasis you have more pools, spas, flowriders, to break up the crowds

We are 52 and 39 and we loved Oasis almost beyond words. There are people around but it rarely felt like a problem. We did book shows in advance which is a must for the comedy club. People without were turned away. We managed to get in the headliner show the day before we had it booked but it was very full. The Oasis of dreams show in the outside pool theatre should be booked first night while you are still in shallow water as it is often cancelled due to motion. Exceeded our expectations of what a cruise could be and would love to go again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would love try an Oasis class ship. However, I have read that the bigger ships have more challenges with getting into shows. As well as, getting pool side chairs, getting around and feeling crowded. I would like some feedback from those of you who have sailed on both, your experiences and recommendation. Thanks in advance!!!! Excited to cruise RC again!!!!

Of the 3 cruises we've been on, Oasis felt the least crowded. The Carnival Dream felt the most crowded.

OP- my advice is to just try it and see for yourself. We have been on cruises on Carnival, Princess, NCL, and Royal. In 2016, we booked Oasis although we were nervous about whether it was too big and too crowded, etc. Sure enough, the first day confirmed our fears. Lunch was hectic, and getting around after the muster drill was chaos. Then sail away happened and it didn't feel that way the rest of the week. We now LOVE Oasis class. Last year, we went on Allure. Guess what we are doing this year? Allure AGAIN. Never thought we would repeat a ship like that so soon, but here we are. We will likely do Harmony next year.

There are so many places to gather, eat, and be entertained on these ships that for the most part, the crowds are spread out. The exception of course is day one when everyone is doing the same thing at the same time. Just expect that going in and know that it calms down.

So I say try it, but be warned, you might just love it. :)

I personally love the Oasis class ships but I would avoid the Oasis in April because she will be in refurbishment right around that time then heading out of the USA....the Harmony will be placed in Port Canaveral in mid May.

The Oasis class ships do not feel crowded the only time you feel a crowd around is on embarkation day and the one day they have the shops selling their items on the Promenade and that is only for three hours on a certain day and the elevators right outside the lounge after a show can be crowded but an easy walk to the aft elevator you won't have any problem. We never felt crowded but some people will say in they feel the crowd in the Windjammer....we been on the Oasis class ships so far 4 times and going back in October, we never had any issue getting a table to sit down, what they do on heavy congestion times they will actually bring you to a table so you don't have to keep walking around searching for one. We never had any issue in not finding a table there.

Shows/entertainment you can reserve on line months before the cruise and if you don't they will just have you wait on line and let you in when its time.

As far as the pool chairs I NEVER can understand how people can't find a chair, we always walk around and see so many empty chairs available, unless you want one right up to the pool which to me is why would you want people walking by you constantly and standing over you??

Another thing what I like about the Oasis class ships (putting aside all the activities such as zip lining, rock climbing, etc as we don't do those things) is the greater variety of places to have complimentary and specialty dining. For breakfast you have many options where to eat as well as lunch too.

I love the mega size ships and we never have any issues as far as crowds, there are many places to sit and relax or have a drink that have different decor....Central Park, Boardwalk, Solarium area, etc. These ships are amazing and you must give it a try to judge for yourself.