Are there booths that sell tours at each port?

h82work

I'm thinking of doing a British Isles on the Royal Princess. Are there tours booth at each port to sign up for a tour? For me it all depends on the weather and whether even we get to the port to decide what I want to do.

Thank you.:D

Not in all ports. There was a complimentary shuttle to town in Dublin and Belfast. In most ports, public transportation info was available on the Patter or booth inside the port like in Cobh. In Belfast, there were tables/counters in a downtown building where we were dropped off by shuttle. One offers a cab tour that we took.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As others have posted, it's not like the Caribbean. Hiring a taxi at the port for the day will cost an arm & a leg. OK for a local A to B journey such as port to city centre or rail station or a stated attraction, but not for all day.

If you want a taxi tour, book ahead through the 'web. That guarantees the cost & the standards.

Can I suggest you google the various options at each port by typing : "(name of port) tourist information" or "(name of port) visitor attractions"

Also use ship's excursion offerings as a guide to what's to be seen, distances, etc.

Also Rick Steves or other guide books & websites.

On Cruise Critic.....

Click to the British Isles / Western Europe forum.

Click on the "search forum" box (on the right, near the top), and in the "search this forum" drop-down type the name of one of your ports & hit "go". This will bring up all the threads which mention that port.

Check on the web for (name of port) Hop-on buses

Check on a map whether the town / attractions are walkable. Or only a short (about 5 miles) distance by taxi.

Most attractions' websites will give directions / transport options.

Some suggestions will include using trains.

The UK has a pretty comprehensive rail network, good frequencies & speeds, decent comfort and very manageable fares. All very different to the USA, and used by all sectors of society.

Here's a link to maps of the network

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/maps.aspx

(use the zoomable map option)

And here's the timetable & fares

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Feel free to ask on here about specific places, but please make it easy for us to give you correct information by quoting your ship, date (and day-of-the-week) in port, number in your party, ages of any kids, any mobility issues, etc.

Have fun researching

JB :)

I highly recommend doing the research up front to determine what to do in each port.

There are some that you can easily do on your own but others where you should consider a ships tour or a private tour that you would arrange ahead of time.

I find tripadvisor to be a big help as well.

Keith