Guernsey Buses and crowding...

Guernsey is our last port stop, and as we are looking forward to it, we thought we would just relax and wonder around on our own. Maybe taking the bus if it works out. But reading this thread, I am wondering if we need to be more proactive and get a tour of some sort scheduled. Any opinions on just taking in the area on our own?

Hi. On royal princess (lots of people) in ST PP on a Sunday in July. What if we took a bus at 11am-noon if ship docked at 7am? Would most of the crowds have already gotten on a bus? Also, how far to bike or walk to occupation museum? And are there taxis? We are a family of 4 work 2 teens. Walking/hiking is ok with us, esp if via nice scenery.

The other day whilst there on the Sapphire, after the first bus of the day at 0905 (Sunday), there were queues all day for the bus. Also, you won't be the only tourists there.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

We hired a car. They met us on the pier and it wasn't expensive. The roads are quiet and we loved getting up little tracks where there were amazing views and stopping off at various beaches and small villages. Would highly recommend because you can go at your own pace with no worries

One of those discs you display in a vehicle and use to indicate when you parked in certain zones. Widely used in a Guernsey, I believe. Parking free, but you can only stay a certain amount of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes you are correct. Parking is free almost anywhere, but time restricted in some areas. Parking wardens check the clocks and will issue tickets if you are parked over the allotted time. Works very well.

Just wondering if the Bus will be as busy in Sept? Also is the Ww2 tunnel museum walking distance from the port?

The buses are busy depending upon the number and size of ship(s) in port rather than the time of year, however generally there are less tourists staying on the island in September than the height of summer.

La Valette Military Museum is walking distance from the tenders, approx 15 minute walk. The Occupation Museum is near to the airport and not walking distance, but an easy bus ride.

Guernsey is our last port stop, and as we are looking forward to it, we thought we would just relax and wonder around on our own. Maybe taking the bus if it works out. But reading this thread, I am wondering if we need to be more proactive and get a tour of some sort scheduled. Any opinions on just taking in the area on our own?

You can just walk around the town, but in my opinion you are missing out. I would recommend a half day tour around the island, and a walking tour of the town, this way you will get to see as much of the island as possible and not waste time getting lost. I would recommend a private tour, rather than ship tour, smaller group and more personal. Many of the guides are accredited and have fantastic knowledge.

Hi. On royal princess (lots of people) in ST PP on a Sunday in July. What if we took a bus at 11am-noon if ship docked at 7am? Would most of the crowds have already gotten on a bus? Also, how far to bike or walk to occupation museum? And are there taxis? We are a family of 4 work 2 teens. Walking/hiking is ok with us, esp if via nice scenery.

As others have said the buses can be busy all day, and you do not want to waste time waiting in a queue. The Military Museum is walking distance, the Occupation Museum is too far to walk, you could cycle but there are some steep hills. I would recommend a private tour, or perhaps you could hire a car, and then book an accredited guide, which I think is the best of both worlds. You have the guide so you would not get lost, you would here about the island, and would be cheaper than an independent tour or ships tour. It is also flexible to where you want to go, not where a company tells you to go. Take care however as the roads are very narrow, and we drive on the left.

We have 4 persons and most tours charge even if the ship cannot port.

If ship ports early, would we have a decent chance of getting a taxi at noon? Also, would we have luck with another bus that doesn’t circle the island, that tourists don’t want to take? Such as 93/94?

Lastly, is occupation museum worth it?

Edited by elaine5

We have 4 persons and most tours charge even if the ship cannot port.

If ship ports early, would we have a decent chance of getting a taxi at noon? Also, would we have luck with another bus that doesn’t circle the island, that tourists don’t want to take? Such as 93/94?

Lastly, is occupation museum worth it?

You should be able to get a taxi at noon, if there are none on the pier, ask one of the meet and greet people to point you towards the nearest taxi rank, it is on the land side of the town church, about 5 minutes walk from the pier.

Yes, another bus should be fine, you just need anyone that goes to the airport. IMO the Occupation Museum is worth it, but it would be a shame if this is the only place you have chance to visit. The buses have a slightly reduced service at the weekend, so please check the timetables before you make a decision.

I know of some accredited guides and independent taxi drivers who do not charge if the ship does not dock. Unfortunately i do not think this website allows me to post their details.

We took the "airport" bus to see the Occupation Museum. Bus was not crowded. However, we did have to enlist a local and the driver to help us know where to get off the bus. Once off the bus we followed the small signs to the museum. It was a lovely rainy walk. If you have mobility challenges it probably is not the way to go. The museum is absolutely fascinating.

We took the "airport" bus to see the Occupation Museum. Bus was not crowded. However, we did have to enlist a local and the driver to help us know where to get off the bus. Once off the bus we followed the small signs to the museum. It was a lovely rainy walk. If you have mobility challenges it probably is not the way to go. The museum is absolutely fascinating.

That is a very helpful point. The buses will drop you off between scheduled stops upon request. Let the driver know your destination, and they should stop at the appropriate spot. You're probably not the first tourist who has asked to go that particular place :)

I've done that, and I've willingly walked farther than necessary by getting off the bus at scheduled stops. Lovely scenery if it's a nice day. Just beware of traffic, and if you're not from the UK, be extra cautious when crossing the road. As simple as looking for traffic may seem, you're conditioned to look in the wrong lane.

I know of some accredited guides and independent taxi drivers who do not charge if the ship does not dock. Unfortunately i do not think this website allows me to post their details.

I think you are allowed if asked.... so I am asking, can you give me the name of any accredited guides/taxi drivers? Also, if we do decided to just walk around the town, any suggestions as to where to go, what can be visited that way?

That’s what we will do. Airport bus to occ museum. We don’t mind walking. Good for us, esp our teens. We’ll be sure to be careful. That and walking around town and maybe the fort are probably enough esp as we don’t plan to get off the ship until 11am and have to queue for tenders by 3.

That’s what we will do. Airport bus to occ museum. We don’t mind walking. Good for us, esp our teens. We’ll be sure to be careful. That and walking around town and maybe the fort are probably enough esp as we don’t plan to get off the ship until 11am and have to queue for tenders by 3.

If you ask the driver to drop you off at Forest Stores, that is the nearest stop and most safe place to disembark. If you get off at the airport, it is only an extra 5 minute walk.

I think you are allowed if asked.... so I am asking, can you give me the name of any accredited guides/taxi drivers? Also, if we do decided to just walk around the town, any suggestions as to where to go, what can be visited that way?

If you wish to email me at Guernsey cruiser at hotmail dot com, no spaces, I would be happy to provide you with some contacts.

If you just decide to walk around town, I would recommend Castle Cornet, Guernsey Tapestry, Candie Gardens and German Naval Signals. There are daily walks at 10:30 everyday from the Tourist information centre. No need to book, led by accredited guides GBP8 per person for approx 1.5 hours.

You should be able to get a taxi at noon, if there are none on the pier, ask one of the meet and greet people to point you towards the nearest taxi rank, it is on the land side of the town church, about 5 minutes walk from the pier.

Yes, another bus should be fine, you just need anyone that goes to the airport. IMO the Occupation Museum is worth it, but it would be a shame if this is the only place you have chance to visit. The buses have a slightly reduced service at the weekend, so please check the timetables before you make a decision.

Can you email me this information? My email is ssmith3000 at comcast.net would love to get something setup for four people in July thank you ahead of time for this info:)

If you wish to email me at Guernsey cruiser at hotmail dot com, no spaces, I would be happy to provide you with some contacts.

If you just decide to walk around town, I would recommend Castle Cornet, Guernsey Tapestry, Candie Gardens and German Naval Signals. There are daily walks at 10:30 everyday from the Tourist information centre. No need to book, led by accredited guides GBP8 per person for approx 1.5 hours.

I'll add that the walk to Clarence Battery is not a difficult one, and gives a nice view of the more rugged side of Guernsey to the South.

And should Candie Gardens be on the list, the key to Victoria Tower is available at the library. Always on our list.

This thread makes me long for a trip back "home" :):) My GG-Grandfather is a stones throw away from the Vale church. Front row plot towards L'ancresse.