Labadee - Quiet - Amiga Island?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Private Islands
Disney's Castaway Cay, Carnival Corp.'s Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay, RCI's Labadee & Coco Cay, Princess Cays etc.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:58 AM.
5 Posts
Joined May 2015
I'm not an adrenaline junkie, so I'm not interested in zip-lining, jet skis, or coasters at Labadee. From looking at different posts and photos online, it seems Labadee has a theme-park feel to it. Is this true, or are there any quiet spots for sun and swim? Also, has anyone done the Amiga Island Experience excursion? It looks absolutely beautiful, but does come at a cost. Is it worth it to find some peace and beauty?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Fredericksburg, va. USA
84,343 Posts
Joined May 2001
There are places on Labadee where it's quieter and less crowded. You'll need to wander about some, until you find your perfect spot....obviously, steer clear of Adrenaline beach!
Scottsdale, Arizona
5,248 Posts
Joined May 2000
I can't anyone who has been to Amiga (rat) island. There are some youtubes, but no personal CC experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
15 Princess Cruises
11 CCL
5 RCL
5 NCL
7 Celebrity Cruises
1 Paul Gauguin

Niagara, Ontario, Canada
3,949 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Been to Labadee 4 times - it's our favourite port!

Although the online excursions make it look like a "theme park" , it is not. There are plenty of loungers everywhere. Lots of shade. Lots of shopping. Lots of activities. But also, lots of relatively quiet areas where you can plop down and enjoy the weather.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
Carnival Victory - Jan '17 (7.5/10). Key West & Cozumel Quickie
Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas - Mar '16 (8/10). 6 Day Western with Labadee!

Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Mar '15 (9/10) - Nice Eastern route with Labadee!
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Mar '14 (8.5/10) - Back to Labadee with DW

Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Mar '13 (7/10) - Family Vacation!

Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - Aug '09. (9.5/10). Dream Family Vacation.
Carnival's Holiday - Mexico Aug '08 (8.5/10) -Quick Fix Cruise.
Carnival's Sensation - Bahamas Mar '07 (8.5/10) - Family Spring Break Cruise.
NCLA's Pride of Aloha - Hawaii Aug '06 (9.5/10) -20th Anniversary Cruise! Our FIRST cruise.

Email: [email protected]
Toronto
17 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
We just got back from a visit to Amiga Island, and I can honestly say it was complete paradise. The crew is friendly and accommodating, and they provide as much or as little attention as you want. The island is breathtaking; white sand beach surrounded by crystal clear blue water, and reefs. Bring your own snorkel gear; the main guide eagerly took those of us who had gear out, and showed us sea urchins, artificial reefs, sunken cannons and sea life. There are many types of coral and tropical fish to be seen just off shore. If you want to relax you can float away on a floating mat, relax in a hammock or lounge chair or sun on the provided reed mats. Walking around the island you'll find conch shells and crabs. Note it is a cash bar except for the welcome cocktail, but the experience was so relaxing and beautiful, it is a small price to pay. There is a washroom on the island. I would hands down recommend it to anyone, we were all sad when it was time to leave.
5 Posts
Joined May 2015
Thank you all for your helpful responses. Purplegrapefruit, I'm so glad to hear you had such a great time on Amiga Island. Now I'm even more excited and glad I chose it as my excursion!
Salt Lake City, Utah
9 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
I've been very curious about the Amiga Island tour. My family will be in Labadee this April. We are currently booked on the "Castaway at Malfini" beach tour, but we were considering switching to the Amiga Island tour. It just seems slightly more exotic and unique. Perhaps someone, maybe Purplegrapefruit, could steer us in the best direction. At this point, we are pretty torn! Any suggestions?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, April 2017
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 2016
Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera, March 2012
Serenade of the Seas - Alaska, June 2006
1 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Amiga looks great, but details would be great from anyone who cares to share them! (The website is a bit shy on specifics.) Looks like the tour is only 3 hours, but in the port for 8. Wondering how that worked out, was the tour longer or did you just have the rest of the time at the main Labadee area? How was the boat ride over, any touring or straight to the island? Did you enjoy the food (reviews of the BBQ seem positive) before or after the trip?

thanks so much!
Central New England
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Also, are the mat floats included in the price of the excursion or did you need to rent them on Labadee and bring them with you?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Premier Cruise Line "The Big Red Boat" 1989 - honeymoon
Disney Magic 2009 - 20th anniversary
Independence of the Seas - 4/16
Toronto
17 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
The floating mats are provided free of charge. I should also mention that they back up the boat into the shallows when you first arive so it is easy to disembark. The friendly crew will help you off if you need a little extra assistance getting off. You can carry your shoes as you wade through the knee deep water to the beach.
Central New England
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by MattyKarma
I've been very curious about the Amiga Island tour. My family will be in Labadee this April. We are currently booked on the "Castaway at Malfini" beach tour, but we were considering switching to the Amiga Island tour. It just seems slightly more exotic and unique. Perhaps someone, maybe Purplegrapefruit, could steer us in the best direction. At this point, we are pretty torn! Any suggestions?
When in April? We will be on the island on 4/20. I did book this excursion and we are all really excited as the island looks beautiful!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Central New England
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Thanks for the info. How many folks were on the island when you were there? Was it just folks from your excursion or were there other folks there too?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Toronto
17 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
There might have been 20 people, all adults there was no other tour on the island, except the sandbar island boat which stopped nearby to snorkel, but they never came ashore. It really was private. Our tour was in the afternoon so we had plenty of time in the morning to enjoy the rest of Labadee and grab the BBQ lunch before heading to our excursion.
Central New England
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Thanks so much for the info.....it sounds fabulous and we can't wait!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Salt Lake City, Utah
9 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Our cruise departure date is April 3. And we've opted to keep our Malfini booking. Perhaps Amiga for the next cruise. Please do review the excursion once you return. I'd love to hear more about it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, April 2017
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 2016
Carnival Splendor - Mexican Riviera, March 2012
Serenade of the Seas - Alaska, June 2006
Central New England
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by MattyKarma
Our cruise departure date is April 3. And we've opted to keep our Malfini booking. Perhaps Amiga for the next cruise. Please do review the excursion once you return. I'd love to hear more about it.
I will, could you please to the same? Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
20 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by purplegrapefruit
We just got back from a visit to Amiga Island, and I can honestly say it was complete paradise. The crew is friendly and accommodating, and they provide as much or as little attention as you want. The island is breathtaking; white sand beach surrounded by crystal clear blue water, and reefs. Bring your own snorkel gear; the main guide eagerly took those of us who had gear out, and showed us sea urchins, artificial reefs, sunken cannons and sea life. There are many types of coral and tropical fish to be seen just off shore. If you want to relax you can float away on a floating mat, relax in a hammock or lounge chair or sun on the provided reed mats. Walking around the island you'll find conch shells and crabs. Note it is a cash bar except for the welcome cocktail, but the experience was so relaxing and beautiful, it is a small price to pay. There is a washroom on the island. I would hands down recommend it to anyone, we were all sad when it was time to leave.

Is this a kid friendly excursion?
2 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Originally posted by purplegrapefruit
I am planning on booking this tour in May. Is it easy to get to the bathroom on the island? I am travelling with my mom who is in her 80s.
Cave Creek, Arizona
686 Posts
Joined Apr 2001
would love to hear more about amiga. was going back and forth with malfini on this one, but from what i have heard maflini is small and shaded. thinking we may like this better. anyone that can share pictures or more detail would be great. also, to anyone interested, i found a bit more info by searching for "Île A Rat" island - it is the same place. also searching "#amigaisland" on instagram helped with photos.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kelly
- February 1995 - Carnival Ecstacy
- December 22, 1997 - RCCL Nordic Empress
- April 15, 2001 - Celebrity Millennium
- June 16, 2001 - Celebrity Century
- March 30, 2002 - Celebrity Infinity
- November 4, 2002 - RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
- April 19, 2003 - Celebrity Constellation
- March 6, 2004 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas
- March 4, 2006 - Celebrity Constellation
- March 11, 2007 - RCCL Radiance of the Seas
- December 14, 2008 - Celebrity Solstice
- December 12, 2010 - Celebrity Eclipse
- March 9, 2013 - Celebrity Reflection
- December 15, 2013 - Celebrity Silhouette
- March 14, 2014 - Celebrity Equinox
- March 6, 2015 - Celebrity Equinox
- November 5, 2016 - Celebrity Reflection

- March 24, 2019 - Celebrity Edge
Central New England
168 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I will be on Amiga Island in April and will post a review when we get back. We are all looking forward to it and hoping for nice weather for our day there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature