Celebrity vs Lindblad for Galapagos - what are the differences?

Growler

I'm looking to book a trip to the Galapagos in late '09 or early '10, and reading a number of posts here, the only two mainstream lines that seem to get recommended are Celebrity or Lindblad. As the prices seem to vary by a large amount, I'd like to know if it really is worth the extra to travel with Lindblad (unless I'm reading something very wrong, they appear to be almost twice the price for the same duration)

Any other information regarding other reputable operators would also be welcomed - we like our creature comforts, but will obviously have to compromise a bit on this kind of trip I'd expect.

Quite happy to arrange our own travel to from Quito (or anywhere else for that matter), just need to know where and when to present ourselves pre-embarkation!

I was on the Celebrity Expedition a couple of summers ago and it was one of the best trips I've ever taken. :)

I'm looking to book a trip to the Galapagos in late '09 or early '10, and reading a number of posts here, the only two mainstream lines that seem to get recommended are Celebrity or Lindblad. As the prices seem to vary by a large amount, I'd like to know if it really is worth the extra to travel with Lindblad (unless I'm reading something very wrong, they appear to be almost twice the price for the same duration)

Any other information regarding other reputable operators would also be welcomed - we like our creature comforts, but will obviously have to compromise a bit on this kind of trip I'd expect.

Quite happy to arrange our own travel to from Quito (or anywhere else for that matter), just need to know where and when to present ourselves pre-embarkation!

Just returned from the Galapagos on Xpedition. The main reason we went with Xpedition was the price--you are correct that Lindblad is way more expensive. And we have sailed on a Lindblad ship many years ago in Costa Rica. I thought the food, excursions, etc were about of the same quality between the two.

Celebrity does make it very inconvenient for you to make your own pre and post cruise arrangements in Ecuador. I finally gave in and bought their package, which was fine, but we could have done similar on our own for much less. The problem is that the ship doesn't dock in the Galapagos. You have to go to it by zodiac. And their flights are charter, so it is difficult to figure out where you need to be and when as far as embarkation goes.

We saw the Lindblad ships and their passengers at many of the same stops we made. They seemed to be doing pretty much the same hikes, etc as us.

Thanks for the heads-up people. I think we'll go with Celebrity, but I'll have a chat with them first about the pre/post arrangements. Main reason for wanting to make my own plans is to be able to set aside some time to see family friends on the east coast US on the way out, and in California on the way back. Might also try to tie in a Transatlantic cruise for the return trip - haven't been to Bermuda yet!

I went with Xpedition back in December and it was teriffic. X looked after you from start to end, and no need to pay for anything as all included in the price. I would not recommend turning up just for the ship 7n cruise - get the 10n package - everyone meets and bonds over those 2 days in Quito, so if you turn up on the 3rd day it would be like arriving at a house party and not knowing anyone.

You don't have to do the flights with X - we didn't -we booked our own via BA and got to Quito one day early, and paid for one extra night at Marriott. We still got free transfer from the airport and it gave us one extra day to acclimitise.

Suggest you read excellent review by Digimom http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=32427 it really tells you all we need to know. And if you book via X in UK there is actually a member of staff who has done the trip and is helpful so ask to speak to them. Pics in signoff if you are interested.

• 1 month later...

We went to the Galapagos 3 years ago with Abercrombie Kent tour. It was outstanding! The ship was the Eclipse and carried only 48 passengers. The small number of passengers makes getting on each island a lot easier. I think they limit the number of people on any island at any given time so if you are on a small ship you don't have to wait your turn. We are thinking about going back again.

My all means get to Bermuda too. We have been there over a dozen times and still want to go back. We like staying in the small apartments that people rent or a bed & breakfast. Riding the scooters is also a lot of fun. There are a couple of websites that list these places and the prices are much better than the large hotels. You may want or like hotels, which they list also. We just prefer the smaller type places. Either way, it is a beautiful island, especially the pink sand beaches!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They are totally different experiences. We did it with Lindblad and loved it. You are paying a premium for the small ship size and small groups on each Zodiac with a wonderful naturalist. Highly nature-oriented, very good food, not luxurious but a wonderful trip of a lifetime.

• 2 months later...

I agree that Lindblad can be pricey. But when one considers the value, I believe they will be hard to beat. My wife and I traveled with them to the Galapagos in 2002. The naturalists on board made all the difference...Carlos, his wife and Emma were absolutely outstanding. We've traveled with Lindblad since then to Svalbard (arctic Norway), Alaska, Panama/Costa Rica and are preparing to head to Antarctica with them in 2009. If one really wants to experience nature, learn and not just see and can afford the price difference, I would say Lindblad is the choice...hands down.

The old adage - "you get what you pay for" applies here. We will be taking our 9th, 10th and 11th Lindblad trip in '09 - have never been disappointed. Another thing to consider is that the Endeavour will be going to the Galapagos in the spring toreplace the aging Polaris.

The old adage - "you get what you pay for" applies here. We will be taking our 9th, 10th and 11th Lindblad trip in '09 - have never been disappointed. Another thing to consider is that the Endeavour will be going to the Galapagos in the spring toreplace the aging Polaris.

Another option is Metropolitan Touring's ships. We went on the Santa Cruz and it was fantastic. We recommended the to another couple but they chose Celebrity because they were cheaper.

Archived