Read that GT will only accept 1 ship per day for a few months?

Mish415

Has anyone else read this? this is what i saw:

"UPDATE: Live...Straight out of Grand Turk:

Carnival is aiming to open up one month after the storm, so mid October. One ship only per day for the first couple months. RO facility has water and power and priority is getting the cruise center power. It my have some today as the island went back to work today officially.

First Caribbean is working out of the old cable and wireless building and the banks did a great job of getting money here and getting the ATM working. Communication is very poor here, the phones are in and out. It's very difficult to make a call and almost impossible to get a call. Text works a bit better, but definitely delays. The people here know less than we do, as the government is not communicating with them effectively. The only reason they know about the hurricane is because of communication with friends and family. The people are doing a great job of cleaning up themselves, but there is a issue of supplies coming in and a sense of being lost because they can only do so much without materials. Local calls are as difficult as international, sometimes even more as one or the other party might be in a bad cell spot. No one really has radios powered, so not sure if there are updates being broadcast there, but the word is not getting around here.

Also, digicel started coming up last night. But went down again. Digicel numbers start with 3, Flow numbers start with 2 for those that don't know abroad.

There are a ton of gorgeous military men around and they are flying and dropping water in at Cee's parking lot. It definitely has made people feel safer and crime seems to be less. Let's see what happens now the curfew is lifted though.

Insurance adjusters have started coming with more today so that process seems to be starting.

Salt Raker and Osprey bars are on hurricane hours but they are open. The island hasn't run out of booze or cigarettes yet. So that helps keep thing calm too!

Osprey is serving food too, as some of the military is staying there. Most of them are staying up by the college, but they rotate down to Osprey to get a real bed and a shower.

City water is working.

More updates to follow...."

Thanks for the update. Scheduled to go to G.T next week on Carnival Magic. ( guess not )

Have they not given you any updates?I know the cruise port at GT was said to be "OPEN" but I would think the rest of the island would still be in bad shape...no power, etc.

No word of any changes yet. Probably waiting to see what Maria is going to do.

Carnival is super frustrating..

Do they think Maria is going to IMPROVE the conditions in the eastern Caribbean? Our cruise is 17 days away and so far no updates.. despite the fact that 1 port basically no longer exists and 2 more have no power or communications. The 1 port that is still untouched, we have a wedding there. If they end up having to move the cruise to the western Caribbean as RCCL has done, we will be in trouble.

Do they think Maria is going to IMPROVE the conditions in the eastern Caribbean? Our cruise is 17 days away and so far no updates.. despite the fact that 1 port basically no longer exists and 2 more have no power or communications. The 1 port that is still untouched, we have a wedding there. If they end up having to move the cruise to the western Caribbean as RCCL has done, we will be in trouble.

17 days is a very long time in hurricane terms, Maria is forecast to turn north by a large number of models, and might have little to no impact on Grand Turk or other islands.

Weather is always an issue on cruises, and especially in the fall. That's why your cruise contract says they can change the itinerary at any time without compensation.

17 days is a very long time in hurricane terms, Maria is forecast to turn north by a large number of models, and might have little to no impact on Grand Turk or other islands.

Weather is always an issue on cruises, and especially in the fall. That's why your cruise contract says they can change the itinerary at any time without compensation.

RCCL is handling this correctly. Carnival is not.

People need to realize a cruise ship isn't like a car (they just decide to detour around a closed road, accident, etc.). There are many things that go into changing an itinerary, and know that there are MANY ships that all need to be rerouted, etc. I understand that it's frustrating, but it's not as simple as just "tell us where we are going". I believe that once damage is assessed and all cruise line schedules can be worked out, the cruise lines will let people know.

People need to realize a cruise ship isn't like a car (they just decide to detour around a closed road, accident, etc.). There are many things that go into changing an itinerary, and know that there are MANY ships that all need to be rerouted, etc. I understand that it's frustrating, but it's not as simple as just "tell us where we are going". I believe that once damage is assessed and all cruise line schedules can be worked out, the cruise lines will let people know.

Good point. And while cruisers are frustrated about the itinerary, just imagine how frustrated the residents of Grand Turk are with two hurricanes in a month...I'm certain the sooner everything is back up and running, they will be happy to have their livelihoods back.

My Brother is scheduled to go to Grand Turk in October to lead a power restoration crew from Canada. We are scheduled to go there by Cruise ship in March, so I will get an update from him on the status of the restoration later this fall.

Too bad our government from a couple of years ago did not accept TCI as our 12th province/territory - looks like Canada is offering more help than the UK...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, the private utility company that my brother works for owns and operates the electricity delivery system in Grand Turk and Cayman Islands. So they are sending help from their other utilities that they own in a rotation. Perhaps they may send there crews up here the next time we get a major ice storm.

Too bad our government from a couple of years ago did not accept TCI as our 12th province/territory - looks like Canada is offering more help than the UK...

Oh?

How many Canadian Marines and Army personnel have arrived at Grand Turk to start distributing food and supplies?

The Brits have sent two battalions already, with a supply vessel now onsite and HMS Ocean en route.

[source: Royal Navy and Marines website.]