Suggestions for getting from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale but not driving?

chrisyscrapper

hi, my family and I are spending a week in Orlando and then travelling down to Fort Lauderdale to go on a cruise. Just wondering what suggestions anyone local or anyone who has done this before, may have for transport from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. We would prefer not to hire a car and there will be 4 adults with full size suitcase each. Thanks in advance!

hi, my family and I are spending a week in Orlando and then travelling down to Fort Lauderdale to go on a cruise. Just wondering what suggestions anyone local or anyone who has done this before, may have for transport from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale. We would prefer not to hire a car and there will be 4 adults with full size suitcase each. Thanks in advance!

The rental car is my strong recommendation or perhaps flying BUT here are other options:

Amtrak ($42 pp) from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale departs at 10:20am and 1:04pm (4h45 mins when on time - too late for cruises)

Only a few companies (ESCOT and Florida Express) actually focus on the cruise ports from what I can tell.

PLEASE NOTE THE SCHEDULE IS SEASONAL - meaning it may not be available on your dates.

https://escotbuslines.com/ - $64 pp depart at 8am from Burger King on Consulate. Arrives 12:20pm at your cruise terminal

http://us.megabus.com/Default.aspx - $18 depart at 8am from 902 Semoran Blvd. Arrives 12:10pm at Sheridan St Railstation

http://www.thefloridaexpressbus.com - $29 depart at 8am from Grand Plaza Hotel. Arrives 11:40am at Tri-Rail Station

http://www.redcoachusa.com/ - $43 depart from Orlando Redcoach. Arrives 1:55pm at Ft Lauderdale Airport

There are at least a dozen minivan companies running daily shuttles between Orlando - Fort Lauderdale - Miami (generally they do not stop at cruise terminals). Fares can be as low as $20 per person. The catch is - the pickups and drops are generally in public places (outside a Denny's, McDonalds, etc). So you have to make your way with all your luggage to one of these places and wait faithfully for some company to pick you! What if they do not show up? Reviews online are generally not very favorable so that does not help either!

Javax, Smart Shuttle Line, Jet Set, Super Tours, etc

Edited by SteerageJoe

I would look into a one way car rental. It's about a 3 hour drive. Yo can drop the car at the Lauderdale airport which is a 10 min. shuttle or cab ride to the port. Otherwise look into a one way limo or shuttle service. Enjoy your trip.

It is an easy drive and most of your time will be on well marked highways. If a dinosaur like me can figure out how to drive on those little, winding roads in England and Ireland you can handle the FLA highways. :)

Red Bus and MegaBus. While driving is the easiest way, there are bus options which will be much cheaper than flying and with the time it takes to get to the airport, check the bags, security, pick up the bags etc.. flying does not save much time even though its a 30min flight.

• 9 months later...

Do NOT under ANY circumstances get off one cruise in Port Canaveral and get on another in Fort Lauderdale I want to post this to direct people to a story I wrote in the thread

"How to get from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale Cruise port"

warning people the perils of trying to go on back to back cruises from those two different ports on the same day, they may not be far apart but the logistics if you do not drive yourself make it almost impossible to do. Scroll to the last post by evagoblin.

Thanks everyone! Will look up some of those suggestions. We didn't want to drive as being a bit silly and worrying about that whole driving on the wrong side of the road thing!! Might have to just bite the bullet about it!

Oops. Just realized that the OP posted May of last year!