Has anyone tried the new elegant night menu yet

curious_st

I am referring to the new menu on shorter cruises since the lobster tails were eliminated.

I leave for a cruise in less than 2 weeks, and I am trying to determine whether to pack dress clothes for elegant night and try the new menu, or just go to Lidi or order room service that night.

Dress up, be brave and try something new! Enjoy!

It's not about being afraid to try something new. In fact, I would try a couple of the dishes if available during regular MDR dinners without hesitation. My issue has to do with packing, because we are also staying in 2 cities over several days before the cruise. I hate to pack a special set of clothes for us just to wear for a few hours to dinner, unless that dinner is going to be really good.

Have you tried the new menu?

It's not about being afraid to try something new. In fact, I would try a couple of the dishes if available during regular MDR dinners without hesitation. My issue has to do with packing, because we are also staying in 2 cities over several days before the cruise. I hate to pack a special set of clothes for us just to wear for a few hours to dinner, unless that dinner is going to be really good.

Have you tried the new menu?

We were on the Paradise B2B when the new menu rolled out. Not in pressed. As always the ribs were very good, didn't like the soup. I sure wouldn't pack anything special for the DR. The piped in music was blaring & couldn't talk to your neighbor ,it was not the old DR. I just put on slacks & a nice little tee & was better dressed than a lot of them.

Next week we will go back to the buffet the prim rib is so much better up there.

Char

We were on the Paradise B2B when the new menu rolled out. Not in pressed. As always the ribs were very good, didn't like the soup. I sure wouldn't pack anything special for the DR. The piped in music was blaring & couldn't talk to your neighbor ,it was not the old DR. I just put on slacks & a nice little tee & was better dressed than a lot of them.

Next week we will go back to the buffet the prim rib is so much better up there.

Char

That's interesting. We can't have pork, so the ribs are out for us. I am a fan of prime rib, though, and I have had good experience with the carved prime rib on Lido deck in the past.

I am referring to the new menu on shorter cruises since the lobster tails were eliminated.

I leave for a cruise in less than 2 weeks, and I am trying to determine whether to pack dress clothes for elegant night and try the new menu, or just go to Lidi or order room service that night.

Standards for "dress clothes" aren't that high. You don't need to pack a suit or anything. You could always just decide the day of which you want to do.

That's interesting. We can't have pork, so the ribs are out for us. I am a fan of prime rib, though, and I have had good experience with the carved prime rib on Lido deck in the past.

I always make my own sauce by mixing sour cream & horseradish in a bowl & Lar & I can both take some. Like the stuffed mushrooms also.

We have been taking dinner in the buffet for a year or so, but thought we would give the new menu a try.

On days we have had a big lunch will just have a scoop of tuna & some cheese with the ritz crackers I bring from home.

Char

Standards for "dress clothes" aren't that high. You don't need to pack a suit or anything. You could always just decide the day of which you want to do.

In order to fit dress code, my hubby will have to have something other than cargo shorts, t shirts, tennies or flip flops. He wears a size 13 shoe, so even a pair of Sperrys thrown into his suitcase takes up quite a bit of space when he will only wear them a few hours and we really need to stick to 1 bag per person. And, that doesn't include any actual clothing for elegant night.

We were on the Conquest, 5 day, last week and the prime rib was awful. There are other items to eat of course but nothing really looked like something I would go for. I still think going to formal night is a good part of the trip experience so we always do go.

Definitely missed the lobster (although you can have surf and turf any night for an up charge of $20)

In order to fit dress code, my hubby will have to have something other than cargo shorts, t shirts, tennies or flip flops. He wears a size 13 shoe, so even a pair of Sperrys thrown into his suitcase takes up quite a bit of space when he will only wear them a few hours and we really need to stick to 1 bag per person. And, that doesn't include any actual clothing for elegant night.

Yes, I suppose you would need something other than shorts and a t-shirt.

My husband always has a pair of pants in case it is chilly and he often wears polo style shirts (even with shorts) so he is covered there. If you are bringing tennis shoes though, he is covered, as he could wear them with pants.

The website contradicts this, but the fun times from the Magic this week said "no cut off jeans"- so jeans were allowed. That may vary by ship.

We always have way too much clothing, and share a bag (plus a backpack per person- though DH's is all camera equipment), so perhaps I just pack differently than others and can't understand space concerns. It helps that I don't bring any make up or hair stuff, I guess.

We were on the Victory the first week the no lobster change happened. I thought the new menu was delish! I had the scallops as my appetizer, they were the best single thing I had the whole cruise, SO GOOD! I had the ravioli for my main course, it was very good as well. I actually ordered the up charge lobster another night, and think the free formal night seafood was much better!

image.jpg.7b78c0fab8854d837f7a2f2701a6601b.jpg

We were on the Victory the first week the no lobster change happened. I thought the new menu was delish! I had the scallops as my appetizer, they were the best single thing I had the whole cruise, SO GOOD! I had the ravioli for my main course, it was very good as well. I actually ordered the up charge lobster another night, and think the free formal night seafood was much better!

Thanks for the photo. They really are sea scallops! :) I am actually looking forward to trying this on my Victory cruise next month. Hope you had a good cruise.:)

Of course I read post #6. That wasn't very friendly. :( :rolleyes: :( It doesn't mention the new scallop dish, or the crab ravioli, or the Japanese sea bass. I believe that is what the OP was interested in knowing about.

The OP did not ask about specific dishes, just the menu in general and if it was worth it to pack specific clothes for it. #6 answered the question that was asked.

Thanks for the photo. They really are sea scallops! :) I am actually looking forward to trying this on my Victory cruise next month. Hope you had a good cruise.:)

They were delicious sea scallops! Sorry the photo was of my half eaten plate, lol. Forgot to get the picture when they were served and 'pretty'. We had a fabulous cruise, our first on Carnival. It definitely will not be our last!

They were delicious sea scallops! Sorry the photo was of my half eaten plate, lol. Forgot to get the picture when they were served and 'pretty'. We had a fabulous cruise, our first on Carnival. It definitely will not be our last!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise and the Victory! I still like Carnival after 6 cruises, soon to be 7 after my Victory cruise next month. I usually book my cruises a year ahead, and Carnival just could not beat the deal I got on NCL Escape for next year. Looking forward to that one!, but I am sure that I will be back to Carnival again some day:)