8night Norwegian fjords cruise on eclipse

stavy

I was on this cruise last year on the Eclipse....I think there was only one but they're always on sea days, so look at your itinerary and you can figure out which night it will be. FYI evening chic is anything that does not include blue jeans, tee shirts or shorts. If you bring a pair of black jeans and a lacy or gauzy type top you'll be fine. Gentlemen do not need suits, although they should certainly feel comfortable if they wear one. Mine wears dress slacks with a long sleeve button shirt.....no tie...no jacket. It's a fantastic cruise and the waterfalls are exquisite. Not to be missed: the Flam RR and a boat ride in either Stavenger or Geiringer. If you're a music lover, then add in the Grieg home.

s

I was on this cruise last year on the Eclipse....I think there was only one but they're always on sea days, so look at your itinerary and you can figure out which night it will be. FYI evening chic is anything that does not include blue jeans, tee shirts or shorts. If you bring a pair of black jeans and a lacy or gauzy type top you'll be fine. Gentlemen do not need suits, although they should certainly feel comfortable if they wear one. Mine wears dress slacks with a long sleeve button shirt.....no tie...no jacket. It's a fantastic cruise and the waterfalls are exquisite. Not to be missed: the Flam RR and a boat ride in either Stavenger or Geiringer. If you're a music lover, then add in the Grieg home.

s

Btw. Where do you catch the flam railroad?

Stavy we're on the may 20 departure.

We were on the Eclipse in December. Except for a few people, evening chic night as Hydrokitty described. A very welcome change from the total hassle and expense of formal evenings.

It doesn't matter which night is chic night. We dress the same for dinner regardless. No jeans, no shorts, basic respectful clothes that we would wear to any nice restaurant.

Doesn't matte,r. The may 20 departure does not stop at Flam.

Unfortunately, you are correct. We were on the B2B with Scandinavia and Baltic Caps followed by Norway fjords out of Southampton, UK. Too bad but you'll still get to see the most beautiful scenery anywhere.....most ports in Norway are very close to the city and you will be able to walk from ship to fjord cruises, restaurants and shopping easily. Do take a fjord cruise in either Geiranger or Stavenger....or both.

Btw. Where do you catch the flam railroad?

We also did the Norwegian Fjords cruise last year. It was spectacular. One thing you might want to consider is taking a bus tour in Geiringer to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba. Scenery was absolutely stunning!

Also, be sure to head up to the Sky Lounge and grab a window seat each night for sail away. It is beyond description. Guarantee you won’t be disappointed!!

Peg

Unfortunately, you are correct. We were on the B2B with Scandinavia and Baltic Caps followed by Norway fjords out of Southampton, UK. Too bad but you'll still get to see the most beautiful scenery anywhere.....most ports in Norway are very close to the city and you will be able to walk from ship to fjord cruises, restaurants and shopping easily. Do take a fjord cruise in either Geiranger or Stavenger....or both.

Not going to Stavenger either. The ports are Dublin, Bergen, Skjolden, Geiranger, Alesund, Lerwick, Dublin. (Lerwick is the Shetland Islands, Scotland).

I guess our choices in Geiranger will be a fjords cruise or Mt. Dalsnibba. Does the mountain view require much walking? Did you do both of these trips independently or on ship excursions?

Wow thank you all for the advice. Soooo excited after reading your comments 😊

We also did this cruise last year it was fantastic!

If you check the times you are leaving ports you may find that booking Tuscan can be a fabulous way to have 180’ views as you exit the fjords....

We had clear blue skies all cruise. There was a guest with a drone (organised) who made a great video on YouTube, search ‘Celebrity Eclipse Norway and Ireland’. It will give you a flavour of things to come....

Enjoy!

We also did this cruise last year it was fantastic!

If you check the times you are leaving ports you may find that booking Tuscan can be a fabulous way to have 180’ views as you exit the fjords....

We had clear blue skies all cruise. There was a guest with a drone (organised) who made a great video on YouTube, search ‘Celebrity Eclipse Norway and Ireland’. It will give you a flavour of things to come....

Enjoy!

I'm very glad to hear that advice about Tuscan. Our GTY was assigned giving us an oversized balcony cabin just above Tuscan!

Will look for video and watch it on the TV for full affect.

If you want to go to Mt. Dalsnibba, Viator offers an excellent tour at less cost than Celebrity. Fair warning though, it's often cloudy on top so you may not get the views. If you get a clear day, the views are spectacular. (we were lucky).

Geiranger is a very small port and the bus tour to Mt. Dalsnibba leaves from the center. There is no need to book a Celebrity excursion. Google “Mt. Dalsnibba tours” and you will find a link for direct booking. I would highly recommend making a reservation as times book up very quickly. There is minimal (negligible) walking involved. We had less than stellar weather the day we were in port but the ride was still magnificent. I would highly recommend it!

Peg

Not going to Stavenger either. The ports are Dublin, Bergen, Skjolden, Geiranger, Alesund, Lerwick, Dublin. (Lerwick is the Shetland Islands, Scotland).

I guess our choices in Geiranger will be a fjords cruise or Mt. Dalsnibba. Does the mountain view require much walking? Did you do both of these trips independently or on ship excursions?

We did the fjord cruise in Geiranger and it was wonderful. I cannot address Mt. Dalsnibba since I have a terrible fear of winding mountain roads so we didn't do that one. Look on the shore excursions and read the description. If it says strenuous then you might have to do some walking. I booked the fjord trip on my own because it was right next to the ship and we wanted a later cruise than the X excursion, which was early in the morning. For the Mt. Dalsnibba, personally, I would go with X ....I've never had a bad shore excursion with them and you don't have to worry if you're late getting back to the ship. But if you had to choose if Geiranger is the only fjord trip offered on your cruise take it....it's beautiful, the ship is very comfortable and has a bathroom, and the falls are fantastic!

Geiranger is a very small port and the bus tour to Mt. Dalsnibba leaves from the center. There is no need to book a Celebrity excursion. Google “Mt. Dalsnibba tours” and you will find a link for direct booking. I would highly recommend making a reservation as times book up very quickly. There is minimal (negligible) walking involved. We had less than stellar weather the day we were in port but the ride was still magnificent. I would highly recommend it!

Peg

We went last year on RCCL Serenade of the Seas -- you can view my trip report here.

We rented an electric "car" called a Twizy. It was a little on the pricey side, but was real fun and easy driving it. It was made for 2 people where the passenger sits behind the driver. There were no side windows, so it got pretty cold particularly in the back seat. It came with a GPS that provided some commentary at different spots.

We went as high as we could to Mt. Dalsnibba, but alas the last part of the road was closed due to the heavy snow -- we knew about it before setting out. Here is a picture of the highest point we could go where there was a lake and a closed (what I think was a) restaurant.

34889498801_8a69490e43_h.jpg

Because of the closed road, we were able to go back down the mountain back through Geiranger and up the switchback road to Eagle bend viewpoint which was a great view (in between clouds).

Loved your picture Joe.....I would have had a stroke!!!

:D

MDW in the pink rain jacket was layered but she was COLD. The car rental place lent us gloves and blankets but they helped only a little. She took a nap back on the ship afterwards.

I figured that was her...when did you go that there was that much snow? We were there in August and there was snow on the mountains but not like this. I would have been curled in a ball weeping....which isn't easy in a Twizy! :D

I figured that was her...when did you go that there was that much snow? We were there in August and there was snow on the mountains but not like this. I would have been curled in a ball weeping....which isn't easy in a Twizy! :D

May 18...

34634741680_2ee321ca37_z.jpg

May 18...

34634741680_2ee321ca37_z.jpg

We did basically the same itinerary except for Jelling, which was our first stop. We were on a B2B with the Baltic Caps so we did go to Copenhagen (loved it) but we sailed from Southampton. I don't remember tendering in Geiranger but there was another large ship in port that did. We were the last cruise of the season to Norway so it wasn't too crowded and the weather was gorgeous for sightseeing, although we had a bit of rain. I think out of all the places we have been, Norway is the most beautiful place I've seen.

We did basically the same itinerary except for Jelling, which was our first stop. We were on a B2B with the Baltic Caps so we did go to Copenhagen (loved it) but we sailed from Southampton. I don't remember tendering in Geiranger but there was another large ship in port that did. We were the last cruise of the season to Norway so it wasn't too crowded and the weather was gorgeous for sightseeing, although we had a bit of rain. I think out of all the places we have been, Norway is the most beautiful place I've seen.

I think we were on one of the earliest of the season cruises in Norway, so it wasn't crowded then either. The weather was gorgeous for sightseeing in Stavenger and Alesund, rainy for Bergen and Geiranger, and thick fog for the days at sea.

In Geiranger, we actually docked at the unique floating/movable dock which was much nicer than tendering. It was easy to go back to lunch and to/from shore while MDW napped after the Twizy sightseeing. An Aida ship that came after us was tendering.

34404680014_f53f8844af_h.jpg