Bittersweet Memorial Day Cruise

radioguy54

On Memorial Day I will take my second cruise...The first was in June of 2010 with my DW, children and grandchildren...In early August of that year my wife died at age 52 from complications with Diabetes...We had even planned another Cruise the next May, but after her death, I just could not go that soon...So here we are less than two weeks away...I have met a wonderful lady 9 months ago, she will join me, along with my DS, DIL and Grands....We are going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, the same locations as before. I know it will be difficult at times, but we are cruising in her honor and look forward to a wonderful vacation:)

On Memorial Day I will take my second cruise...The first was in June of 2010 with my DW, children and grandchildren...In early August of that year my wife died at age 52 from complications with Diabetes...We had even planned another Cruise the next May, but after her death, I just could not go that soon...So here we are less than two weeks away...I have met a wonderful lady 9 months ago, she will join me, along with my DS, DIL and Grands....We are going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, the same locations as before. I know it will be difficult at times, but we are cruising in her honor and look forward to a wonderful vacation:)

So sorry about your loss. Please go and enjoy this cruise. Your DW would want you to.

It is awesome that you have met someome and can share this vacation with after your loss. You will be having deja vu moments and remembering past times with your wife and these should be embraced and enjoyed but you will also be creating fond memories with your girlfriend as well. These experiences will be wonderful in their own way. Have an awesome cruise and do not feel guilty when these things pop up as they are all a part of the healing process.

My mom passed just shortly before I took my very first cruise. At first I felt guilty for having fun when I should have still been mourning...but I turned it into a way for me to come to grips my my loss. I shared moments (in my mind) with my mom, knowing she would have loved the idea that I was cruising.

I am sorry for your loss, and understand that you might have some sad moments on the cruise, but you can make it a time to continue your healing and you will feel a sense of peace doing it. There is something really therapeutic about standing at the railing of a ship, feeling the breeze while you look out at the sea...and whispering a little message of love to the one you lost.

I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved wife. However, I am very happy to hear that you have found a wonderful friend and will be surrounded by your loved ones on this upcoming cruise. Go, enjoy and revel in how blessed you are right now. There is something that is so cathartic and healing about the ocean. Hopefully this getaway will help you continue to heal and cherish what you had with your wife and what you right now. I wish you the best.

That is very sweet, have a wonderful time! I was supposed to sail for the first time ever with my whole family including my Mom. Unfortunately she passed away suddenly about 3 months before our sail date. As a family we decided to sail in her honor, as we knew she would not want us to cancel and miss the chance to make those special family memories. It was extremely emotional and sad at times, but also ended up being a very special cruise. We even spread some of her ashes at the Disney island during the trip, which makes that island even more special when we visit it again. I am sure it will be a difficult cruise at moments but think of your wife and know that she would want you and your family to be happy and have a great cruise!!!

This post made me cry! Hope you have a lovely cruise with your family and new partner. Your wife loved you all and wants you to be happy. She would be so pleased that you are all making the most of your lives and remembering her in places where you were all happy together. My thoughts are with you.

This post made me cry! Hope you have a lovely cruise with your family and new partner. Your wife loved you all and wants you to be happy. She would be so pleased that you are all making the most of your lives and remembering her in places where you were all happy together. My thoughts are with you.

Me too!

I know what you're talking about. We unexpectedlly lost our oldest son at the young age of only 14. We took a cruise in '06 as a whole family. He died in a tragic accident in June of '09. We took a cruise last year (spring of '11, to celebrate my dh's 50th bday). It was fun.....however, expect to have "those moments" where you will feel sad. At least I did. So did my daughter and my husband. They cried one night at the dinner table as the waiters sang to the tables as they remembered back to our oldest son getting up and dancing so much with them. (He was such a jokster....that's how he lived his life) Quite frankly, the only things keeping me still here on this earth and not in Heaven with my son, are my other two children (13 and 9 now----they were 6 and 10 at the time of the accident). It gets easier, but there will always be those moments....moments where tears will fall when you least expect it. IT'S OKAY though. I think as long as you can accept that, and your girlfriend can expect you to have those moments on the cruise (maybe explain to her ahead of time), everyone will have a fabulous time. We call those "trigger moments." Like everyone else said.....they would WANT us to enjoy the rest of our lives here. They know we'll be with them one day. And remember, they're not up there bored. A cruise to them is nothing compared to the joy they're experiencing. And, 1,000 years here is like a day in Heaven (according to the Bible anyway). So go and enjoy. :)

Tammie-thanks for your kind words, I can not even imagine what you and your family must have went through...I realize life goes on and one day we will all be together again...My lady friend is very understanding concerning this, and always says she wishes just could do something to help...To be cruising with my children and grandchildren is quite an experience itself....I will keep your family in my prayers that God will give you comfort and peace...I will do a review when we return!

I am very sorry for your loss but it looks like the Sun has begun to shine again....

We sailed in September of 2010 with my youngest brother, BIL, SIL and goodfriend. 6 weeks later he passed away unexpectedly at the age of 49.

We cancelled a long planned transatlantic that was due to leave three days after he passed.

I could not even think about cruising for awhile.

We just got back from the 15 day to Hawaii. It had its share of drama and tales to tell;).

He was supposed to be on this cruise with us.....miss him every day and tears come when I least expect it, but we had a great time and have many cruises now llined up to make up for the lost time.

His passing made me realize how short and precious life really is and I will be retiring tomorrow after a very satisfying and crazy 26 year career.

Have a fine time and hugs to you and your family.

Now get me a tissue, my eyes are leaking and my nose is running...:p

So sorry to hear about your loss! No doubt you will have a great time again on this cruise though by building new memories while dealing with the past ones. All of which is part of moving forward in life as we all must do, which is exactly what our departed loved ones would want us to do.

Our next cruise (three weeks out) will be the first for my MIL who lost her husband a year and half ago after about 60 years of marriage. She was so surprised when we asked her to go with us. She confessed that she had always wanted to go on a cruise but they never did. I'm sure her emotions will be running high but she will love being there with the grandkids and seeing them have a blast in paradise! You never forget those times- never!

Sorry for your loss. I can tell you there will be a lot of emotion on this trip and at unexpected times. We took a memorial cruise for my mom on 'her' ship, the Elation. The tears were running down mine and my sister's faces just stepping aboard. We spent our first sea day wandering around the ship with a glass of mom's favorite wine, going to the spots where she could always be found. We had her sail & sign card and took a picture of it at mom's seats. My daughter got to experience grandma's cruise through her Aunt and I. We did make more memories, but mom was with her girls on her ship. I doubt I ever get back on Elation, but am very glad we did this trip to honor a lady that raised us (not the easiest job) to be the adults we are.

Enjoy your cruise, the memories it brings back and the memories you will make as your life moves forward.

Well its just 10 days out now and we are super excited, talked with my son last night and the sad thoughts are turning into happy ones, and we are so looking forward to another great cruise and those new memories all of you encouraged us to make...:cool:

I wish my nana would cruise with me, she just cant do it since my grandfather passed 3 years ago. It was "their thing". I hope you have a great time, despite the hardships.

My husband passed away 2-1/2 years ago and cruising was "our thing" also. Tell your nana that when I cruise now that it makes me feels so good knowing that I am doing what we loved to do the best. I feel closer to him when I am on the ocean than anywhere else because they are all good memories and not the memories of him being ill and the struggles of his illness. I know he would want me to continue to cruise as it was such a love of ours. Hopefully you will be able to convince your nana to try it. I did start start with a short 4 day cruise after my husband passed away (which was also solo) just to make sure I would be able to do it. I came backing knowing it was the best thing for me.

I took a cruise on the one year annivesary of my first husband's death, mainly for my kid's sake as I wanted them to be preoccupied. My parents joined us. It was a wonderful time and I am so happy we did it. I hope you have a great time as well, to make new memories with your loved ones.

I hope that you and your family and your new friend have a wonderful time on your cruise. I am sure it will be "bittersweet" for you (as you posted) as you will have your memories ande will make new memories together. I am sure that your wife would have wanted you to be happy.

My husband and I love cruise travel and will be married 45 years next month. We have 12 Med cruise booked for October. I have always told him that if something happens to me to keep on cruising and am now telling him the same thing about the next Med cruise.

Archived