best prices on ulu knife and bowl/boards

creel5857

we purchased some ulu knives and bowl/boards for family on a trip to Alaska about 7 years ago and had them shipped back home (cheaper than paying airline) and was wondering if anyone had recent info on best prices/methods to ship from Alaska. We are arriving in Fairbanks, passing through Richardson and Glenn highway and eventually into Anchorage. We will be doing southbound cruise through Juneau, Haines/Skagway and Ketchican. ...thanks

The sets seem to increase in price each year. The Ulu Factory site has the 8" bowl and knife set listed at $41.95. I personally don't buy anything smaller than the 8" bowl/knife set for myself or my family. I also only buy ones made by the Ulu Factory.

If you find that set made by the Ulu Factory for less than $41.95, you found a bargain.

Once the season moves into full swing you will be able to get better first hand information on any specials that folks may have seen.

Can you bring the knives back on board the ship? Is it any problem to pack them in your on board luggage?

In 2012 we brought 3 sets back on the Coral Princess. Security asked us to keep them packaged and locked in our suitcases, which we did. It would have been difficult for them to check unless they were sitting out on the counter or coffee table. We took them home in our checked luggage with no problem.

Edited by capriccio

Can you bring the knives back on board the ship? Is it any problem to pack them in your on board luggage?

RCCL confiscated them and delivered them on the last night of the cruise (which doesn't make sense, if we are going to use them as weapons, we can still the last night of the cruise) and Princess let me take it back to my cabin.

I agree about finding nice quality ones and shipping them back home. Many stores will ship them but on the main street in Skagway, there is a post office that a lot of cruisers visit.

If you are coming into Anchorage.....definitely the ULU factory....You can see how they are made, they have a variety of beautiful handles, and they are wonderful utensils to use....It is right near the railway station, and they typically have shuttles every 30 minutes or so from the Log Cabin visitor center on 4th Ave and F St.....Truly, they are wonderful...