Under Water Camera?

footballbabe3

We used to get the Kodak Underwater Sport. Never had a problem with leaks or bad developing.

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/Sport_Single_Use_Camera/productID.164407800

A few years ago we bought the Olympus Tough (water/freeze/drop proof). Best investment ever. Takes great underwater pictures and movies.

I used the Fuji underwater camera for years. Never had a problem, but it has no zoom capabilities. A few years ago I bought the Olympus Tough (water/freeze/drop proof). Best investment ever. Takes great underwater pictures.

I 100% agree about the Olympus tough-it's great for an easy regular camera along w/ very clear underwater pictures. Worth the small investment (~$160 at Sam's Club) I never really had good luck w/ the disposable ones unless it was something very close up in shallow water.

My suggestion is Fuji Finepix xp 20 (or 10). They sell for around $129. Freeze/water/sand/shock-proof.

In the long run it saves over the price of disposables. Mine has taken an absolute beating and it is still ticking along just fine.

Olympus Tough here too.

Several Staples stores around the country are clearing them from their stores because they are only going to sell them on-line from now on.

Just picked up another one for only $90 brand new in the box with case and floatation band. 12 MP and HD movie.

Kev

I have a Panasonic Lumix. LOVE IT!

Glad to hear this- I am getting a new underwater camera next month as a birthday gift to myself :) Torn between panasonic lumix DMC-TS3 and the nikon coolpix AW100- they are both around the same price point so glad to hear a good vote for the Lumix...

Here are two shots taken in St. Thomas. The first is from a disposable camera, the second from an Olympus 770SW

Disposable:

579261847_LCvuF-M.jpg

Olympus:

393212561_vLzkp-M-1.jpg

I think the Olympus was well worth the money as the photos were much sharper. It also works well above water, and it takes videos. By the time you buy a few disposables, and then pay for processing, you're not that much cheaper than an inexpensive underwater digital.

And invest a few bucks on a floating wrist band so it wil go up not down if dropped

Definitely.

While I recommended the Fuji, the Olympus that others are referring to is good, maybe better than the Fuji, but the price is higher by about $50.

In my research the Fuji and Olympus were the favorites, other brands had more negative comments.

My experience with disposables is that our honeymoon "swimming with dolphins" photos suck because of some fog that got in the camera, right in front of the lens :(

Got the Fuji Finepix 10 in August of 2011. Love it so much I have used it as my normal camera since. The only thing I would mention is that you need to set your zoom before you take video - if you do it during, the scene goes out of focus for a moment before coming back into focus. You can also hear the gears grinding and that sound makes it into your video too.

We used to get the Kodak Underwater Sport. Never had a problem with leaks or bad developing.

http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/Sport_Single_Use_Camera/productID.164407800

A few years ago we bought the Olympus Tough (water/freeze/drop proof). Best investment ever. Takes great underwater pictures and movies.

I'll agree with you on the Olympus Tough, bougth one two yrs ago for our Dream cruise and absolutly fell in love with the Camera!!! I Have a Nikon D60 that is like my baby, but not so little but takes great pics...The Olympus has so many different bells and whistles that I'm always finding something new about it!! Anyway Yes go with an Olympus!! The Disposable ones I always forget to get them developed and the pics come out like crap!!! Got some great underwater videos with my Olympus as well as some great out of water stuff too!

On my first cruise I had two film cameras. The pictures were ah, ok, in that you could tell you were underwater but none were going to win any prizes. The second cruise I had two digital cameras. Both borrowed, one was a land and sea, I think. It has a waterproof case. Other was an olympus. I thought the l&s camera took better photos than the olympus, both cameras are a few years old. I liked the l&s because it took AA batteries and a regular SD card. I had to have a charger for the olympus, and they come with their own cards that are almost twice the cost of SD. I didn't get really close to anything, I was snorkeling. This year I'm borrowing the l&s again, also taking a kodak waterproof and see how that works out. I like the zoom capabilities on the digital, also you're limited on how many photos you can take w/ film, and wasting time advancing film. Get a digital. The downside of the l&s I believe is that it takes crap photos out of the water. The kodak I got has an underwater setting, we shall see if that makes a difference... also lack of good fish was an issue, and I won't dive. I'm a top floater. Other than telling I am underwater, my pictures aren't much to write home about but I will say digital is way better than the film, quality wise.

Here are two shots taken in St. Thomas. The first is from a disposable camera, the second from an Olympus 770SW

Disposable:

579261847_LCvuF-M.jpg

Olympus:

393212561_vLzkp-M-1.jpg

I think the Olympus was well worth the money as the photos were much sharper. It also works well above water, and it takes videos. By the time you buy a few disposables, and then pay for processing, you're not that much cheaper than an inexpensive underwater digital.

Awesome pic! Were you diving? Those are some honkin' fish.

For around 70 dollars you can get the digital Kodak easyshare 123 sport. We found it took quite good underwater pictures maybe not as good as the Olympus or Fuji but half the price. Guess it depends on how much you will use it. We certainly were happy

Check out the Kodak easyshare sport. I got mine for about 63 dollars at Target. Not fancy but waterproof and takes decent video. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it does not have zoom. You tube has some sample video of it.

I use the olympus, But now I have the liquid image digital snorkel masks for my wife and I. Much easier than holding the camera, then finding the object, etc. Just look at the fish, reach up, and push the trigger on the side of the mask. 8 megapixels, and also shoots video.

I just bought the Nikon coolpix AW100. I compared it with several others and what sold me on this one is that it records full 1080p HD movies and it has a GPS. So far it takes awesome pictures but I have not a had chance to use it underwater yet. But I saw some great samples on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived