Info on Legend 2018 Dry Dock

justjan2

Yes it is true that it will be in Portland for the drydock. Carnival issued a press release on Apr 2 confirming where it would be. I have looked at maps and photos of the area around the drydock. There are public roads about 2 blocks away so it sounds like the public can get pretty close. There is also a bluff that overlooks the drydock. The university of Portland is located here and so I am assuming that I can walk on the school grounds to get to the bluff to see it. Knowing Portland I suspect there may be a public walking trail along the bluff. I live just 20 - 30 mins from the drydock. On May 2 I am going to drive over there to try to get some photos. I also am hoping to find out what time of day or night it is expected to arrive and depart so that I can get some pictures of it sailing in the river to/from the drydock.

Yes it is true that it will be in Portland for the drydock. Carnival issued a press release on Apr 2 confirming where it would be. I have looked at maps and photos of the area around the drydock. There are public roads about 2 blocks away so it sounds like the public can get pretty close. There is also a bluff that overlooks the drydock. The university of Portland is located here and so I am assuming that I can walk on the school grounds to get to the bluff to see it. Knowing Portland I suspect there may be a public walking trail along the bluff. I live just 20 - 30 mins from the drydock. On May 2 I am going to drive over there to try to get some photos. I also am hoping to find out what time of day or night it is expected to arrive and depart so that I can get some pictures of it sailing in the river to/from the drydock.

Exactly what I wanted to know! THANKS. I too would love to see a big Carnival ship cruising up river. I wonder if there will be any passengers or just essential crew on transit from Vancouver.

Exactly what I wanted to know! THANKS. I too would love to see a big Carnival ship cruising up river. I wonder if there will be any passengers or just essential crew on transit from Vancouver.

Just crew, no passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

Always happy at the amount of information I can find on these boards.

My family did Carnival Sunshine over March Break this year. Son and I loved it, hubbie was not a fan.. so... looking at a summer cruise (August 2019) just the two of us.

With the upgrades/renovations etc would the prices go up after the renovations are done or does the online price reflect that now? I haven't booked yet and am just curious.

Always happy at the amount of information I can find on these boards.

My family did Carnival Sunshine over March Break this year. Son and I loved it, hubbie was not a fan.. so... looking at a summer cruise (August 2019) just the two of us.

With the upgrades/renovations etc would the prices go up after the renovations are done or does the online price reflect that now? I haven't booked yet and am just curious.

I was just online today looking to book Alaska once again in August 2019 and the price was exactly the same as it is this year. I’ll be going July this year to Alaska. I will be booking that with my travel agent tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the Legend have (or will it get) and outdoor movie screen? I'm not familiar with this ship.

Thanks! :)

Legend does not have the Seaside Theatre and while there have been rumors it would get that venue with this current dry dock, I don't believe there has been anything official from Carnival in that regard. Guess we will find out when it goes back into service next week. :)

Legend does not have the Seaside Theatre and while there have been rumors it would get that venue with this current dry dock, I don't believe there has been anything official from Carnival in that regard. Guess we will find out when it goes back into service next week. :)

I hope it does---I will be on her 8/21 to Alaska--cant wait !!

• 2 weeks later...

Legend is now on it's first post-dry dock sailing (currently under way to Juneau), hopefully some CC members on that sailing can report back soon on specifically what was done during that maintenance in Portland. :)

me too! A cruise just got back today, so maybe someone will do a review!

Please let them say a pool side screen has been added,

and that they have taken down that tacky wall paper. With all of the sea days, watching a movie under the star lit sky would be awesome.

Next cruise is September 13th-24th Vancouver to Hawaii. ,

One big change was done to the 4K (Interior with French door) cabins. The French doors were removed and were replaced by windows. So, if you are booked in one of these cabins you will no longer be able to open them up for some fresh air. Carnival is keeping this one very quiet and not notifying anyone that had booked before the change. It is definitely a downgrade for these cabins. I am booked in one of these cabins in September for the cruise to Hawaii and just happened upon the change on the website while looking up another cruise. I contacted Carnival and after much wrangling got them to throw in a $25pp OBC and a bottle of wine. I think it should have been more, but I did not have a lot of options since the cruise is pretty much sold. They did offer to cancel without penalty, but I did not even consider cancelling this trip. FYI, they are doing this to all of the Spirit class ships. Legend was done a couple weeks ago and the Spirit is having it done right now. The Pride will dry dock in Feb 2019 and the Miracle sometime in 2020, where they will both have the same change made to the 4K rooms. It is really deceptive to allow people to book a room that you know will be having such a drastic change without letting them know. For example, you can book a cruise on the Pride for the end of 2019 and it will still say you have French doors in the 4K room even though they are fully aware that you will not. I have had my Sept 2018 trip booked since July 2016 and wonder how long they knew about the change before I stumbled onto it by accident. See image below for John Heald response. Again, Carnival is not concerned at all about getting this information out there, so I will.

865084219_Screenshot_20180520-1029172.thumb.png.b9ac12466ef63d90778edbdaf9b6e8d8.png

Edited by Krazyhardrocker

Please let them say a pool side screen has been added,

and that they have taken down that tacky wall paper. With all of the sea days, watching a movie under the star lit sky would be awesome.

Next cruise is September 13th-24th Vancouver to Hawaii. ,

Hey, I'm on that cruise too. Unfortunately, no seaside theater was added.

We just returned off the Legend last night. There was no theater added. Guys burger bar, Alchemy, blue iguana cantina, red frog rum bar and the tequila bar you could tell were brand new. Disappointed in the hours of the tequila bar. Several times we went specifically to this one and it was closed. Not sure why. This ship is showing some aging as we noticed there were many lights that were burned out in the MDR and just general wear and tear. They did tell us that they were still working hard to get it all polished up etc. We had a couple of lights out in our stateroom. Didn’t complain about it as we didn’t go to just stay in the room. The weather was perfect. Sunny the whole time except in Ketchikan it was cloudy and a slight mist in the air. We had a great time. Comedians were good and food was too! If you have any questions, please ask.

We just returned off the Legend last night. There was no theater added. Guys burger bar, Alchemy, blue iguana cantina, red frog rum bar and the tequila bar you could tell were brand new. Disappointed in the hours of the tequila bar. Several times we went specifically to this one and it was closed. Not sure why. This ship is showing some aging as we noticed there were many lights that were burned out in the MDR and just general wear and tear. They did tell us that they were still working hard to get it all polished up etc. We had a couple of lights out in our stateroom. Didn’t complain about it as we didn’t go to just stay in the room. The weather was perfect. Sunny the whole time except in Ketchikan it was cloudy and a slight mist in the air. We had a great time. Comedians were good and food was too! If you have any questions, please ask.

Good to hear from someone that has been on since dry dock. I heard that sometimes there are still some issues being worked out on the cruises right after a dry dock, but it is surprising to hear about lights burned out in the dining rooms and staterooms. Seems like that should be easily fixed before getting the cruisers back on board. Sounds like a great Alaska trip. We were lucky and had similar nice weather when we did it 6 years ago.