5 years since my last RCI cruise and wow how the standard has dropped!!!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Sunderland England
4,678 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by Merion_Mom
Really? I cruised once out of Southampton. The ship was the Independence of the Seas. 2011

I saw more sleeveless undershirts and tattoos on that cruise than I ever did before or since.
You are always going to get a diversity of people.
The main British difference is Formal night is usually very well respected in a dress sense.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app
Orlando, Florida
2,573 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by bUU
And keep in mind that that was before RCL acquired Celebrity and started moving toward a model with Royal Caribbean becoming the more affordable option on average and Celebrity serving up the more upscale experience on average.
He was sailing on Carnival. I didn't mention that because it didn't seem important, but just for clarity's sake.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#bananasinabowlnexttotheketchupandmayo
#hairylegsatdinnerputmeoffthefeed
#ReginaIguanārum
#SoLongMyPepperGrinderOfLove

RHENIUM LEVEL CRUISER

Royal Caribbean ship experiences
Oasis, Freedom, Liberty, Independence, Navigator, Mariner, Enchantment, Monarch, Sovereign

Disney ship experiences:
Wonder, Magic, Dream
Orlando, Florida
2,573 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by grapau27
Thomson mainly cater for the British market who tend to respect dress codes more.
Things I heard before having actually visiting England:

Americans are fat & lazy, unlike Brits. (I will actually say that I've seen just as many fat in my visits to England as I have here)

Americans are sloppy dressers, unlike Brits. (I actually think that generally speaking it was a LOT sloppier in at least London than anywhere I've been here. TRACK SUITS EVERYWHERE! UNDERSHIRTS EVERYWHERE!)

Americans are rude, unlike Brits. (This is just flat wrong. Generally speaking, we couldn't really ever find anyone in London that could be bothered to help anyone. Generally speaking, I can walk up to people here and say "Can you tell me where ____ is?" and get an answer. Londoners acted like I was threatening their children.)

Pluses and minuses to all cultures.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#bananasinabowlnexttotheketchupandmayo
#hairylegsatdinnerputmeoffthefeed
#ReginaIguanārum
#SoLongMyPepperGrinderOfLove

RHENIUM LEVEL CRUISER

Royal Caribbean ship experiences
Oasis, Freedom, Liberty, Independence, Navigator, Mariner, Enchantment, Monarch, Sovereign

Disney ship experiences:
Wonder, Magic, Dream
Georgia
8,911 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by poncho1973
He was sailing on Carnival.
A similar story there. Just about the same time, CCL completed its acquisition of Seabourn.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
11/11/2017 Carnival Magic (W. Caribbean) [Roll Call]
6/30/2018 ms Nieuw Amsterdam (Alaska) [Roll Call]
“Those who do not know satisfaction, even when living in a heavenly palace, are still not satisfied. Those who do not know satisfaction, even if rich, are poor. People who know satisfaction, even if poor, are rich.” ― Gautama Buddha
Sunderland England
4,678 Posts
Joined Dec 2016

Americans are fat & lazy, unlike Brits. (I will actually say that I've seen just as many fat in my visits to England as I have here)

Americans are sloppy dressers, unlike Brits. (I actually think that generally speaking it was a LOT sloppier in at least London than anywhere I've been here. TRACK SUITS EVERYWHERE! UNDERSHIRTS EVERYWHERE!)

Americans are rude, unlike Brits. (This is just flat wrong. Generally speaking, we couldn't really ever find anyone in London that could be bothered to help anyone. Generally speaking, I can walk up to people here and say "Can you tell me where ____ is?" and get an answer. Londoners acted like I was threatening their children.)

I only found big Americans at WDW Orlando not in New York.
In London most of the people you see are foreigners to us too.
Come to the North East of England and you will always find people very friendly.
The only noticeable dress preferences is on Formal night when even on 3 or 4 night P&O short cruises most men wear tuxedos or suits.

Leicestershire England
1,036 Posts
Joined May 2011

England might be small but London no way represents the whole on England in fact London is probably far less "English" than the rest of England . England IS NOT LONDON

It would be like me saying " ive been to New York so Know America"

I am English , but hate London , London does not represent England .
Please if you are visiting England , research and choose somewhere else , perhaps The Midlands , it is a wonderful , friendly, exciting , green and pleasant land so much history and culture with great wine and cheese , A few historical kings and queens and Leicester has a space centre lol not on the scale of cape Canaveral but we launched a probe to Mars ha ha ha
Cocoa Beach, FL
20,782 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by glittergal1
England might be small but London no way represents the whole on England in fact London is probably far less "English" than the rest of England . England IS NOT LONDON

Please if you are visiting England , research and choose somewhere else , perhaps The Midlands , it is a wonderful , friendly, exciting , green and pleasant land so much history and culture with great wine and cheese , A few historical kings and queens and Leicester has a space centre lol not on the scale of cape Canaveral but we launched a probe to Mars ha ha ha

I love rocket launches, but landings are really cool.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Email me!

Coming Up
Majesty of the Seas 10/23/2017
Oasis of the Seas - 10/29/2017
Oasis of the Seas - 12/3/2017 - 12/10/2017
Brilliance of the Seas 11/9/2017
Majesty of the Seas 1/5/2018
Allure of the Seas 3/11/2018
Mariner of the Seas 4/9/2018, 4/22/2018
Serenade of the Seas 8/19/2018 & 8/26/2018
Harmony of the Seas 9/29/2018
Vision of the Seas 10/18/2018
Rhapsody of the Seas 12/8/2018
Explorer of the Seas 4/23/2019

Cocoa Beach weather cam (actually the view off my balcony )

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-sta...B1rJytnpS4n5Wk

Follow us on Instagram (pics of Bella, Sunrises, Rocket Launches, Cruise Ships, and Cocoa Beach, FL)

https://www.instagram.com/durlandjohn/

Southern California
37,435 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by glittergal1

What about Stonehenge? Or how about the Chunnel? Is the Chunnel in England, France, or both?
Belleville, Ont
1,349 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by ravensbad
This is one of those dead horse topics that come up so often it's like groundhog day. It's like people forget we just talked about this a day or week ago and then they have the exact same argument/discussion again. Cruise prices have actually gone down since the 80's, which when you consider inflation in the last 30 years means people are paying far less to cruise today than they used to. Quantity is way up, quality is way down, that's just how it is across the major cruise lines. If people don't like it they can vote with their wallet and do something else for vacation. At the end of the day that is all Royal or any of the other lines are going to respond to. When profits start falling they will make changes.
I never cruised 30 years ago and understand cruising cost a lot more back then but just in the past year or so it seems like the cost has risen quite a bit
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises
Carnival Triumph 2009
Liberty of the Seas 2010
Oasis of the Seas 2011
Freedom of the Seas 2012
Radiance of the Seas 2013
Navigator of the Seas 2014
Independence of the Seas 2015
Harmony of the Seas 2017
Leicestershire England
1,036 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by Cuizer2
What about Stonehenge? Or how about the Chunnel? Is the Chunnel in England, France, or both?
Never been to Stonehenge or been in the Chunnel , so cant comment
Loughborough has a great vintage steam railway oh and some dinosaur bones if you want old
Belleville, Ont
1,349 Posts
Joined May 2010
I only found big Americans at WDW Orlando not in New York.
In London most of the people you see are foreigners to us too.
Come to the North East of England and you will always find people very friendly.
The only noticeable dress preferences is on Formal night when even on 3 or 4 night P&O short cruises most men wear tuxedos or suits.

I guess I will never go on a 3 or 4 night P&O cruise as I like to be comfortable when I eat, and wearing a tux certainly isn't comfortable
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises
Carnival Triumph 2009
Liberty of the Seas 2010
Oasis of the Seas 2011
Freedom of the Seas 2012
Radiance of the Seas 2013
Navigator of the Seas 2014
Independence of the Seas 2015
Harmony of the Seas 2017
Southern California
37,435 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by molsonschooner
I never cruised 30 years ago and understand cruising cost a lot more back then but just in the past year or so it seems like the cost has risen quite a bit
That is because during the economic downturn beginning in 2008 the cruise lines didn't dare raise prices. Now that everyone has jobs, the stockholders are demanding more profits.
Cocoa Beach, FL
20,782 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
Originally posted by Cuizer2
That is because during the economic downturn beginning in 2008 the cruise lines didn't dare raise prices. Now that everyone has jobs, the stockholders are demanding more profits.
I don't have a job.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Email me!

Coming Up
Majesty of the Seas 10/23/2017
Oasis of the Seas - 10/29/2017
Oasis of the Seas - 12/3/2017 - 12/10/2017
Brilliance of the Seas 11/9/2017
Majesty of the Seas 1/5/2018
Allure of the Seas 3/11/2018
Mariner of the Seas 4/9/2018, 4/22/2018
Serenade of the Seas 8/19/2018 & 8/26/2018
Harmony of the Seas 9/29/2018
Vision of the Seas 10/18/2018
Rhapsody of the Seas 12/8/2018
Explorer of the Seas 4/23/2019

Cocoa Beach weather cam (actually the view off my balcony )

https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-sta...B1rJytnpS4n5Wk

Follow us on Instagram (pics of Bella, Sunrises, Rocket Launches, Cruise Ships, and Cocoa Beach, FL)

https://www.instagram.com/durlandjohn/

Central Illinois
114,405 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by John&LaLa
I don't have a job.
Sure yiou do, you are Bella's cookie provider. That's a full time job.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Sunderland England
4,678 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by molsonschooner
I guess I will never go on a 3 or 4 night P&O cruise as I like to be comfortable when I eat, and wearing a tux certainly isn't comfortable
These tend to be taster,hen party and stag cruises which can be lively, booze cruises but even so Formal nights are well respected.

Sunderland England
4,678 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
Originally posted by clarea
Sure yiou do, you are Bella's cookie provider. That's a full time job.
I think we would form a line to give her a cookie she looks so sweet.

Central Illinois
114,405 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
I think we would form a line to give her a cookie she looks so sweet.
I'm still waiting for John to post a video of Bella doing her tricks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Suburb of Chicago
1,846 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by HicksRA
Well excuse my ignorance!!
Your comment was spot on and that reply was "spotted."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2002 RCL Splendour of the Seas, western Med.
2003 CCL Destiny, so. Caribbean
2005 Sapphire Princess, Alaska
2006 Tahitian Princess, French Polynesia
2007 Star Princess, the Baltic
2008 RCL Adventure of the Seas, so. Caribbean
2009 Island Princess, Panama canal full transit
2009 CCL Triumph, NE/Canada.
2011 Celebrity Constellation, Holy land
2012 Celebrity Equinox eastern Med.
2014 CCL Legend, western Caribbean.
2014 Diamond Princess, Japan
2015 NCL Getaway, eastern Caribbean.