Are MSC as Bad as Reviews Claim?

glittergal1

I have booked my first MSC on Fantasia for a winter Mediterranean cruise , the majority of reviews for MSC are very poor WHY???? is the food and service really all that bad ???????? what is the worst aspect of a MSC cruise in Europe ?

any insight would be truly appreciated as I have talked 3 others onto this MSC cruise too :confused:

You inquiry is likely to spark a fierce debate between those CCers who appear to cruise on MSC often, almost exclusively, and those who appear to have cruised on it once or twice and have a very negative opinion of the line. Unfortunately, the posts quickly tend to get personal. Accordingly, I suggest you simply go (back) to the "Reviews" section of this site and read a bit more. Here's a link to MSC. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/msc-cruises/cl/ . You can specify the Fantasia. You can also go to the all time Cruise Critic Cruisers Choice Poll for a mathematical compilation of the reviews. Here's a link. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberpoll_all.cfm?rating=Overall

If one of those who dislikes MSC points out the fact that MSC has received the poorest reviews at the "Reviews" section of this site, they are attacked as escapees from a looney bin or in some other infantile manner. The clique of hardcore MSC fans seem to delight in ridiculing those who submit comments that put MSC in a negative light.

For example, those who like MSC a lot will be quick to dismiss the greater incidence of MSC negative reviews as the unsophisticated opinions of travel-challenged Americans with poor palates who insist upon phony "in your face" service. They will argue that there are more of these Olive Garden bred "retarded" Americans that submit reviews so that the Cruisers Choice reviews (and the Poll numbers) are not a true reflection of what a real cross-section of all cruisers think.

When one points out that for "Americans" if there is a disproportionate number of Americans submitting reviews it would make the mathematical compilation of reviews more, not less, accurate, you are likely to read some esoteric nonsense about statistics and the unreliability of randomly submitted reviews.

When confronted with evidence that the British analog of CC reveals similar results they will attempt to distinguish between "northern" Europeans (Brits, etc.) and southern Europeans (Italians,etc.).

You will have to sift through an enormous amount of chafe to get a few kernels of wheat. Good luck. Just remember:

1. A cruise is what you make of it and its corollary - a bad cruise is better than no cruise; so grin and bear all shortcomings.

2. If you don't like the food aboard MSC, you don't know real Italian cuisine. If you ask for tap water on certain itineraries and don't get it, don't insist. Drink bottled water despite the fact ship tap water is likely purer than the bottled variety.

3. If you find the service inattentive, it is because that is the European style - get used to it and you will be better served.

4. If staff has answered your inquiry in a surly or other improper manner, it is because you asked them something in a bad way. Remember, you are on an equal footing with the waiters and cabin stewards. Because of that it would be wrong not to be as deferential to all waiters and cabin stewards as they should be to you.

5. If there is a ship rule like dress or other protocol you find inconvenient, don't worry about compliance. Do what you want - it's the Italian way of cruising.

Obviously, I'm in the camp that has found MSC wanting, but my personal experience is minimal so it isn't worth a lot. On the other hand, the reviews speak for themselves. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the price and port stops may make an MSC cruise worthwhile. And enjoyable. Especially since your expectations have been adjusted downwards. Who knows, maybe MSC is improving.

Edited by pmacher61

In a word - NO.

If you are well traveled and used to the way things are done in continental Europe and are happy to be surrounded by passengers who speak a different language and have a different culture and behaviour form home! you'll be fine.

MSC can provide some wonderful cruises, but they're what you make of them !

Go fearing problems & sure enough you'll find them - go expecting a fabulous time, and happy to do your best to be a positive cruiser, and their beautiful ships will win you over !

Obviously, I'm in the camp that has found MSC wanting, but my personal experience is minimal so it isn't worth a lot.

Pmarcher61's experience is not minimal as much as zero. Unless he/she is paid by the big competition, I simply cannot understand the motivation of someone who has never sailed with MSC to constantly criticise the line. It is not as if he/she has any knowledge or insights to add to the discussion. No, "black is black and I don't like it".

I have tried over years now, to find out why pmarcher61 does not like MSC despite never having experienced MSC. My enquiries have been met with a wall of flack. It is impossible to get any sound reason or honest view from this person.

So, pmarcher61, having never tried MSC, how do you find the line "wanting"? And don't you really think you should experience something before criticizing the thing you have never had? Or otherwise, shut up and stop annoying those who are far more experienced than yourself. Please.

I have only been on five cruises, but I would say my cruise on the Fantasia two months ago was the best one yet. I had not sailed MSC before, but the ship was immaculately clean and did not feel crowded considering the size.

The staff was a lot friendlier than I expected, and most of the other passengers were well-mannered.

Overall, the food was pretty good and I liked the variety. I could always find something enjoyable to eat.

I do not usually enjoy cruise entertainment, but I loved MSC's shows. They had more universal appeal and were very artistic and athletic.

My only disappointment was that a couple of the port stops were too short, even though I had been to those ports before. Also, I thought the Athens shore excursion left too late and came back too early. Next time I will plan my own transportation.

This was a very relaxing vacation in no small part because the ship has plentiful whirlpools. There were not many activities or announcements. MSC is definitely my first choice for Europe. I am also curious what an MSC Caribbean cruise would be like.

Pmarcher61's experience is not minimal as much as zero. Unless he/she is paid by the big competition, I simply cannot understand the motivation of someone who has never sailed with MSC to constantly criticise the line. It is not as if he/she has any knowledge or insights to add to the discussion. No, "black is black and I don't like it".

I have tried over years now, to find out why pmarcher61 does not like MSC despite never having experienced MSC. My enquiries have been met with a wall of flack. It is impossible to get any sound reason or honest view from this person.

So, pmarcher61, having never tried MSC, how do you find the line "wanting"? And don't you really think you should experience something before criticizing the thing you have never had? Or otherwise, shut up and stop annoying those who are far more experienced than yourself. Please.

Shut up and stop annoying people? Well, excuuuse me.

Yes, I have tried MSC. Where do you get the info that I never cruised MSC? I said my experience was minimal, not non-existent. Can't you read? I have been on over 65 cruises on almost all lines, and only on MSC once. But the point I have made would be valid even if I was never on a single MSC cruise because my point is that the Cruise Critic Cruisers Choice Poll is a more valid source of info than the isolated comments of a handful of people who are MSC fanatics.

Can't you be more civil? Why does my criticism of MSC cause you to insult me? Why not argue the points I make about the cruise line? Gee whiz. See what I mean glittergal1? This guy is a perfect example of the rudeness negative criticism of MSC triggers.

In a word - NO.

If you are well traveled and used to the way things are done in continental Europe and are happy to be surrounded by passengers who speak a different language and have a different culture and behaviour form home! you'll be fine.

Do you mean to insinuate that the MSC negative reviews are more numerous than those of any other line because the Americans who author them are not well traveled, unhappy to be surrounded by those who speak different languages and feel anything different is, ipso facto, bad? Is it not equally possible that the service and food is simply worse on MSC than it is on other lines? I think you underestimate the ability of Americans to enjoy cultural differences (on a vacation).

Edited by pmacher61

MSC can provide some wonderful cruises, but they're what you make of them !

Go fearing problems & sure enough you'll find them - go expecting a fabulous time, and happy to do your best to be a positive cruiser, and their beautiful ships will win you over !

This is a hackneyed canard: "a cruise is what you make of it." In my opinion, it's an inaccurate exaggeration which I tried to satirize above. Of course, it helps to have a positive attitude, but no amount of positive attitude can overcome inferior food and service. Besides, why would anyone choose a cruise line that requires one to keep a stiff upper lip, put on a happy face, steel his nerves, or any other euphemism for stoically enduring a negative experience when there are many other options that don't require such mental gymnastics simply to have a good cruise. The food, service, and overall value of the MSC product is rated lower by far than any other cruise line by the universe of CC members who submitted reviews.

Nevertheless, the pricing of MSC and the beauty of its ships may support the purchase of the MSC product. No matter how poorly the MSC food and service is rated by a majority of cruisers, low price can be a valid reason to sail MSC.

Edited by pmacher61

Do you mean to insinuate that the MSC negative reviews are more numerous than those of any other line because the Americans who author them are not well traveled, unhappy to be surrounded by those who speak different languages and feel anything different is, ipso facto, bad? Is it not equally possible that the service and food is simply worse on MSC than it is on other lines? I think you underestimate the ability of Americans to enjoy cultural differences (on a vacation).

I think you have some really valid points regarding the "universal" comments in your previous post, which is really not cruise related, but a cultural thing. Regarding the reviews. I do however, think that it is valid to say that reviews made by Americans regarding a European cruise liner on an American/English forum, visited mostly by Americans or Brits cannot be accounted for a correct poll or guideline for everyone else.

My point is. Yes, an American or Brit can probably get something out of the polls, but the other ~350 mill. Europeans probably cant, because all the things or the majority of the areas, that get picked off by these reviews and stamping MSC and Costa as bad cruise liners that THEY WOULD NEVER IN THEIR LIFE RETURN TO, is due to that fact alone.

Philip

When confronted with evidence that the British analog of CC reveals similar results they will attempt to distinguish between "northern" Europeans (Brits, etc.) and southern Europeans (Italians,etc.).

You will have to sift through an enormous amount of chafe to get a few kernels of wheat. Good luck. Just remember:

1. A cruise is what you make of it and its corollary - a bad cruise is better than no cruise; so grin and bear all shortcomings.

2. If you don't like the food aboard MSC, you don't know real Italian cuisine. If you ask for tap water on certain itineraries and don't get it, don't insist. Drink bottled water despite the fact ship tap water is likely purer than the bottled variety.

3. If you find the service inattentive, it is because that is the European style - get used to it and you will be better served.

4. If staff has answered your inquiry in a surly or other improper manner, it is because you asked them something in a bad way. Remember, you are on an equal footing with the waiters and cabin stewards. Because of that it would be wrong not to be as deferential to all waiters and cabin stewards as they should be to you.

5. If there is a ship rule like dress or other protocol you find inconvenient, don't worry about compliance. Do what you want - it's the Italian way of cruising.

I know what your intention with these points was, but I have to say that I actually find them as valid as you find them invalid. Actually to the account that these should be posted as Sticky posts for any American or Brit in European cruise liner forums, except for maybe point 1, which I do agree is a little too childish to put on the shoulders of a paying customer.

Having worked a great deal of my life in the US and with Americans as well as Brits, I have to say - without any intention to talk down to 250 mill. people - that for Americans that travel outside Canada, North America and South America, they are usually leaving a part of the world that they thought was the only place on Earth.

As said - it is very valid to say that when an American says that they think they are getting crap service, it is simply because they are used to another cultural alignment.

Personally, I do hate the American style of service. I think it is fake as hell, up your face and I feel like I am being spoken to as if I was a child. I much prefer the European way. However, having travelled most of the world, I don't go on a forum on the Internet and post bad reviews about American cruise liners because of that fact.

Oh, and just one more point for the record. I couldn't CARE LESS about MSC or Costa, but I do feel that it warrants a factual comment or two, when these liners are getting the knife, because Americans hate to realize that the world is larger than North America, South America and Canada. I don't say that they might not have had an actual bad experience, but 90% of the reviews I have read is simply because they should have stayed home and chosen an American liner with the American styled service or a cruise line that consistently serves salmon, scrambled eggs and bacon every day 24/7. This also applies to land based vacations.

If a staff or crew is directly rude to me, Ill make sure to tell them immediately and get it dealt with on the spot. That is also an effective way of getting closure on something.

Philip

Edited by phider

I think you have some really valid points regarding the "universal" comments in your previous post, which is really not cruise related, but a cultural thing. Regarding the reviews. I do however, think that it is valid to say that reviews made by Americans regarding a European cruise liner on an American/English forum, visited mostly by Americans or Brits cannot be accounted for a correct poll or guideline for everyone else.

My point is. Yes, an American or Brit can probably get something out of the polls, but the other ~350 mill. Europeans probably cant, because all the things or the majority of the areas, that get picked off by these reviews and stamping MSC and Costa as bad cruise liners that THEY WOULD NEVER IN THEIR LIFE RETURN TO, is due to that fact alone.

Philip

I don't disagree with you that the because the majority of the reviews constituting the Poll are probably written by Americans the Poll is more valid for prospective American cruisers. However, I don't rule out that it is also of some lesser usefulness for non-Americans. The subjectivity of tastes does have some limitations that are valid cross-culturally.

I don't disagree with you that the because the majority of the reviews constituting the Poll are probably written by Americans the Poll is more valid for prospective American cruisers. However, I don't rule out that it is also of some lesser usefulness for non-Americans. The subjectivity of tastes does have some limitations that are valid cross-culturally.

Agreed.

Philip

"...no amount of positive attitude can overcome inferior food and service..."

There is no limit to the amount of subjectivity into which that statement is marinading.

Some people repeat it with eye-rolling regularity.

Edited by MotownVoice

Oh Dear I seem to have opened a can of worms ......... I have cruised a few times RCI twice NCL once Thomson once , my most enjoyable onboard experiences were with RCI my least so far was with Thomson :( and as a Brit Thomson are meant to be amazing according to reviews ???????????

So I suppose I will just have to wait and see what MSC is like , on a positive I have booked as a solo passenger a BALCONY cabin for 0% suppliment and no other cruise line has come close to offering that ............... well done MSC

Glittergal1;

MSC Preziosa is the latest member of the MSC Fleet and so I believe the reviews are a current reflection of the MSC product in that MSC, as a very young cruise line are still in a state of "fine tuning" their product - not that in my opinion there was anything wrong with their product in the 90's and the 00's.

That being said:

85% of cruisers loved MSC Preziosa;

83% of cruisers loved Nieuw Amsterdam;

79% of cruisers loved Independence of the Seas.

I do realise that you are booked on MSC Fantasia; however save for a few differences in layout and amenities the vessels are near identical and as such, given that procedures etc are standardised across a fleet I believe that it will be beneficial to take cognisance of the Preziosa reviews as well.

I have booked my first MSC on Fantasia for a winter Mediterranean cruise , the majority of reviews for MSC are very poor WHY???? is the food and service really all that bad ???????? what is the worst aspect of a MSC cruise in Europe ?

any insight would be truly appreciated as I have talked 3 others onto this MSC cruise too :confused:

Read reviews carefully.

Look for factual reviews.

If something looks good or bad - it must be explained in the review - so you don't have to ask why???

Don't listen to the nonsense that "Americans don't like Italian food" - this is trash.

Never confuse the food you have on Italian cruise ships with European food, culture, traditions, etc.

Have you heard about AIDA?

Isn't it "European"?

Have you heard about bad food on AIDA?

Do your own home work.

Do your own research.

This is an example of my own research.

So I suppose I will just have to wait and see what MSC is like ,

Honestly, that's the best thing.

It's not as though there is universal opinion on these ships, like others they have people for and against. All that can be said is that slightly more reviews from this site are against than many other lines. However, as you're probably aware on the same cruise of any line, people will have different experiences, so you should only evaluate whether the offer appeals, and whether any of the specific differences e.g. multi-lingual speaking, more visual/sound (than spoken) entertainment are show-stoppers for you to book.

My own experience, despite some posters to make it into two camps, is that they have pros and cons compared to other lines.

Yes, they're slightly different - but then each of the lines have slight points of differentiation. Overall, I found MSC to be the equivalent of RCL in Europe i.e. mass market, some things I preferred to RCL, and some things I preferred on RCL. But nothing was a show stopper, or so negative that it was significant. Even the ratings the negative poster above show that, with the difference between MSC and other lines only a few points.

One other thing to keep in mind is Med cruises are port intensive - you probably only have one sea day - so you won't have a lot of time for onboard activities.

Edited by The_Big_M

Isn't it "European"?

How many passengers on Aida are not German?

Perhaps the fact that there are no reviews on Cruise Critic can help - at this point I must commend you on your thorough research :rolleyes:

Isn't it "European"?

AIDA cater to the german speaking market, not the whole of Europe as MSC and Costa does. Germany is one country in Europe.

It would be terrible if AIDA was not able to hit the spot on food preferences, as it is not European cuisine but German.

Philip

No, I was not trying to insinuate that at all. Given I was responding to a question a fellow Brit was asking, I was thinking more of the behaviour of them. Some go overseas (be it land or sea) and basically go for the warmer weather and get in a tail spin if they can't get things like they do at home. They are also uncomfortable in a multi lingual situation as they are on the whole mono lingual. The rest of us go overseas to not just get some warmer weather but to experience different foods, culture and behaviour. The latter type of Brit tends to be more comfortable on MSC or even really enjoy it. The former spend endless time whinging they don't cook bacon properly, make tea properly and the doctors are not proper doctors because they're foreign (they've obviously not been to a NHS hospital lately!).

To glitter gal! it's probably a good indicator that you didn't enjoy Thomsons that much. Those that I've met on MSC that love Thomson, did not like MSC and vice versa.