Unlimited Internet?

I seldom use all of the free internet minutes that I get from Captains Club. I check email and weather. The rest can wait. Afterall, I am on vacation. Being connecting 24/7 has become an epidemic. Sadly, there are many people who cannot disconnect from the internet. They need to disconnect and relax. If somebody really wants to contact you, they will find you. You don't need unlimited internet.

I seldom use all of the free internet minutes that I get from Captains Club. I check email and weather. The rest can wait. Afterall, I am on vacation. Being connecting 24/7 has become an epidemic. Sadly, there are many people who cannot disconnect from the internet. They need to disconnect and relax. If somebody really wants to contact you, they will find you. You don't need unlimited internet.

On the flip side, some people can take 4 or more cruises a year and have more away time by checking in with the office and working remotely.

Otherwise, some may be limited to just the standard 1 or 2 week's vacation.

I work from home, so can pretty much work anyplace on earth, and Crusie ships work well for me. It's a good way to get work done day time, and earn money to travel, and have all the fun and amenities at night, something I wouldn't get if I just stayed home. I still giggle as I'm doing payroll remotely while sitting on the Pier in Bermuda or in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Me, I'll gladly check in with the office periodically while on vacation if I get that many more days out of the standard day to day grind.

On the flip side, some people can take 4 or more cruises a year and have more away time by checking in with the office and working remotely.

Otherwise, some may be limited to just the standard 1 or 2 week's vacation.

I work from home, so can pretty much work anyplace on earth, and Crusie ships work well for me. It's a good way to get work done day time, and earn money to travel, and have all the fun and amenities at night, something I wouldn't get if I just stayed home. I still giggle as I'm doing payroll remotely while sitting on the Pier in Bermuda or in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Me, I'll gladly check in with the office periodically while on vacation if I get that many more days out of the standard day to day grind.

I usually sort the payroll out before the cruise or after or just pay the staff and me a bit early. The only irritation with the unlimited package is that it is one package and I sometimes have to exit the internet to allow my wife access. Before the current system it didn't care how many logins you had going and we could each be signed in at the same time. I am not sure if it was counting down the minutes twice - suspect not.

That means that my work gets done at 6am each morning on the balcony watching the ship arrive somewhere.

What do you need all that internet for, Stan? ;)

We had unlimited internet in May as part of our suite and it was great.

Any word on another WooWoo cruise? I think we're due for one.

We disembarked Silhouette yesterday, and my husband vows to never sail on Celebrity again due to the slowness of wifi/internet connection. It was painfully slow, and the complaints in the iLounge were constant. We don't remember dial-up being that slow 20 years ago!

We met a blogger who said she sailed Royal Caribbean and the difference was night and day.

Celebrity needs serious help when it comes to computer issues. We all know that their website is the worst, and I can confirm that their wifi on Silhouette is as well.

We disembarked Silhouette yesterday, and my husband vows to never sail on Celebrity again due to the slowness of wifi/internet connection. It was painfully slow, and the complaints in the iLounge were constant. We don't remember dial-up being that slow 20 years ago!

We met a blogger who said she sailed Royal Caribbean and the difference was night and day.

Celebrity needs serious help when it comes to computer issues. We all know that their website is the worst, and I can confirm that their wifi on Silhouette is as well.

You have to remember RCL was the leader in expanding fast reliable internet at sea - and that's just been the last couple years, and is not yet on all of their ships either, so far just the new giants, and I'm not positive that even all of those have the newest systems.

X is in process of upgrading things according to the live chat by their new CEO a couple weeks ago.

My experience on Constellation on my transatlantic was quite good, accessing my office remotely via Remote Desktop Connect daily during our 8 sea days crossing.

Last year, I couldn't hardly get a connection sitting at pier in Bermuda, so I believe they are working on enhancements over time.

I just got off the RCCL Serenade of the Seas on June 28th, and my DH and I both had the 24/7 internet (both needed for work) (cost = $300 USD). It was completely hopeless. One day I absolutely HAD to get an email out while we were at sea, and I tried over 100 times before I was able to send the email. Royal Caribbean's courtesy websites wouldn't work. The lineups at Guest Relations were a minimum of 45 minutes long at almost any time of the day; many of the guests were there to complain about the internet.

This was my first experience with unlimited internet. It was the worst internet service ever, in over 35 cruises. There was no support from the ship and after my third complaint at not being able to get through on the internet, I was given a refund of $40 USD. There were 17 people in our group and everyone was unhappy with the internet situation. I hope this isn't an example of things to come with Celebrity, as my last two Celebrity cruises had better-than-average internet connectivity.

What do you need all that internet for, Stan? ;)

We had unlimited internet in May as part of our suite and it was great.

Any word on another WooWoo cruise? I think we're due for one.

Hey Brenda, the next Woo Woo cruise is Nov 1, 2015, Southampton to Miami. Come and join us. I was just interested in the internet because Pat has to check daily for Aid4Greys orders. These greyhounds don't rest even when we are cruising. BTW, since we lost both Alibi and Emily, we finally got a new little girl, Skye. She's only 2 1/2 yrs old, and absolutely precious.

Stan

That is disappointing to hear. We were on the Silhouette in April 2014 for the transatlantic and had the best internet ever. We could Skype from our cabin. Was very similar on the transatlantic later in the year on the Reflection. Such a difference from our recent Eclipse cruise when the internet was so bad, it was the first time that I have not used all the 240 free minutes provided.

I hope you enjoyed your day in Guernsey from the Silhouette.

You need to sail on RCCL either Quantum or Anthem. The connection was awesome!

I hope you enjoyed your day in Guernsey from the Silhouette.

Guernsey was everything I dreamed it would be and more! We had the most beautiful day and weather. Our group took the bus to Fermain and walked down the hill to Fermain Beach Cafe, where we had a lovely lunch and the boys were able to run around on the beach. Then, we hiked back along the cliff path into town. Who knew that the walk through the woods would be so lovely, with views opening up almost around every corner.

You are truly blessed to live on such a beautiful island! I hope to return and spend more time exploring.

The unlimited internet under the Go Best (sic) hasn't even kicked in yet. If it's so bad now, how much worse can it get?

Hey Brenda, the next Woo Woo cruise is Nov 1, 2015, Southampton to Miami. Come and join us. I was just interested in the internet because Pat has to check daily for Aid4Greys orders. These greyhounds don't rest even when we are cruising. BTW, since we lost both Alibi and Emily, we finally got a new little girl, Skye. She's only 2 1/2 yrs old, and absolutely precious.

Stan

Glad to hear you've got another wonderful pooch to spoil. Would love to join you guys thus year but we've already got a land trip planned for this fall. Next year, who knows?

During yesterday's Investor Conference call discussing Q2 numbers, they said on-board spend was up in large part due to the new internet service on the Big RCL ships, people are buying it in huge numbers due to its speed (the fastest on any ship at this time).

It is significant to note that they called out this specific line item when they normally just discuss "onboard spend" as a whole.

Given that this has grown revenues to an extent that is remarkable and material to the financials, while being only on 2 ships today, means they will have a laser-like focus on rolling this out fleet wide I think. They can see the immediate benefit of the investment and have also talked in the past of understanding the impact of social media can have in marketing, if people can use those sights while sailing.

They can only cut costs so far (and also noted this on the call), growing revenue is the other side of the equation to focus on now.

I'd look for something to be announced within a few months.