Review of MSC Seaside 12/23/17-1/6/18, SuperfamilyPlus, Menu, Dailies, Food Pr0n,Etc.

seaweeyin

We are alson in a Super Family Plus cabin, 4 adults, 3 kids on the 11th floor. Maybe the same ones! Anyways, currently 2/3 kids are in their own designated cabin. I asked 2 times if that was ok and it was never resolved. Any thoughts on how that will work for signing in and out of kids club?? Are we destined for problems?
You'll have to let me know which cabins you ended up with after your cruise is over!

I hope it's a problem they have worked out by the time you go but if the system is still wonky, I can say that the kids club staff were the absolute friendliest and the most flexible of any staff on board so they will have a work around that will work for your family. Even if they simply revert to the old style wrist bands like they did for a couple days on our cruise. Especially if they'll have seen the problem a few times before your cruise time.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

When were your Family Plus cabins assigned? We too have Family Plus cabins and are still awaiting cabin assignments (I know they say cabins will be assigned 14 days or more before cruise). We are quite near now to our sailing date and still no cabin assignment.
I know you've gotten some feedback already, but ours were assigned about three weeks before sailing. Just fyi.

And we are so fortunate that you chose to take the time to do such an in-depth review. Thank you!

I do have one question for you... From your Dailies I saw that the sommelier on board had many wine tastings. Did you happen to notice of they also offered a wine-blending class/activity? We did this on the Divina two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed and were looking forward to doing it again on the Seaside.

I did not notice that offering at all in the dailies or advertised around the ship. I would have remembered if I had. It sounds like fun! Maybe they'll add this activity as everything settles into place after the first few weeks.

Without a doubt the best review of Seaside to date-- thanks so much for all the detailed information and helpful answers to questions.

Here's a few more for you--

-- Do they follow the custom of other cruise lines of having the dinner menus posted outside the dining room in the afternoon? I like to swing by early and see what's on the menu so I can start whetting my appetite!

-- I like mudslides and other blended drinks. I assume all the poolside bars have those blenders available-- do you happen to recall if any other bars do?

-- We have already upgraded to a premium package. If we order a soda, will they give us cans or just the fountain soda?

-- We are booked in Aurea so I know we'll have anytime dining. Any idea if they seat you with other people or by yourselves? Or are you given the option?

-- Do the waterslides have pretty long lines or do they move pretty quickly? Just an adult child here who likes his waterslides. ;)

Thank you for your kind words! :)

Dinner menus were not posted outside. At one point I asked the maitre'd to look at menus for the next couple of days and he grabbed them for me, so maybe do that and take photos to review on the day of.

Definitely the poolside bars, also the seaside bar in the atrium, and hm. Not sure if there were others.

We got cans with our deluxe package.

I don't know about this one. The aurea seating is on the seashore restaurant, which is the one we were assigned, but on the opposite side as our table so I couldn't see if there were any/many 2 tops or 4 tops.

The lines moved quickly! I'm a person who doesn't want to spend my vacation standing in line and I thought they moved right along. On port days, of course, we practically had them to ourselves. Great fun!

For the drinks that are not covered on the plan, do you know if they allow you to pay the difference in price of what is covered or if you just need to purchase the drink at full price?
I have heard from posters here that they make you pay full price , but that's not my first hand knowledge on the matter.

Great, detailed review! One question regarding the wines on tap in the buffets, do you have to have a drink package or do they charge your account per serving. I am having a hard time getting an answer, because most people buy the drink packages; but, only one of us drinks and both are required to buy a package, so it makes it impractical. We called MSC and customer service said there was no such thing. Thanks!
The self service wine and beer at the buffet had a small terminal at which you tap your card and sign for your purchase to be charged to your cabin. No need for a package there.

When you posed for each picture, did they scan your cabin card, or how does it work? If we consistently hand the same cabin card to the photographers whenever we get any of our pictures taken, will that prevent the problem? I've seen mention of a photo pass, is that a separate card that you get?

So good to know, thank you! What did your teen like to do at night? My DS13 would still want to do some of the things it sounds like Tween will get to do, and this will be the first vacation when the two of them will be in different age groups.

We also have booked Stingray City (Captain Marvin) and want to go to Paradise Beach. Do you have anything more to say about Paradise Beach? Did you buy the Fun Pass there? What did you do on your Ocho Rios day?

I had mult-quoted a bunch of your posts to ask questions about, and now only two of them are showing up in my reply, so you get fewer questions than I had planned. But I could be back with more... Thank you again!

Yes, they scanned our cards each time we had photos taken. If we'd known it would be an issue, we definitely would have only scanned on card, rather than scanning whomever in our party could get theirs out first. I think keeping them all on one card is going to save you a potential headache. I'm not sure what the photo pass is.

The younger groups often did activities together, but the Teen group did its own thing. Teen primarily used the club to first meet people, then as a meet up spot to kick off other adventures, which might have been going to pools or hot tubs or grabbing gelato, watching the outdoor movie, dancing, etc. But I think other teens spent more time staying in the Teen club space itself and doing activities there.

We LOVED paradise beach!! The grounds are well kept -- think raw sugar sand -- and the pool is beautiful and big. The hammocks were fun and the nachos delicious. Some of our party bought the fun pass and they had a blast on the water toys. Stayed in for a long time playing. Smaller humans might need help climbing up on the toys. Tween did on some of them. Wasn't crowded, was beautiful. Would do again.

Ocho Rios was new year's day and even though I would have liked going into the forest for waterfall and/or blue hole, we didn't know what everyone's state would be on new years day, haha, so we didn't make big plans. Turns out we were all good and I even got an early morning run in and tackled the zip line. We just went to margaritaville to use their little beach, then went shopping for jerk seasoning and blue mountain coffee beans. I would definitely make other plans next time because what we did was...meh.

Also, theme nights- you mentioned 70s night and Italian night. I've heard there is a flappers night, but there are indications it was just for Aurea and above. Did you see it? Is 70s night for adults only or families?

Were Bingo and the other activities in the Haven lounge free? Did they ever offer family karaoke?

Flapper night was for the whole ship. The entertainment staff does one or two 15 minute themed shows in the atrium each evening, then the full themed party is later that night in the Haven Lounge. On flapper night, six dancers in costume did swing and Charleston choreography in the atrium. Was fun to watch!

I thought the parties were family friendly. Not lots of kids there because the parties are late, but a handful were there and no one had issue with it.

Also, theme nights- you mentioned 70s night and Italian night. I've heard there is a flappers night, but there are indications it was just for Aurea and above. Did you see it? Is 70s night for adults only or families?

Were Bingo and the other activities in the Haven lounge free? Did they ever offer family karaoke?

Bingo was not free. Different games had different costs.

I recall seeing family karaoke in the kids club schedule though we didn't attend.

Was this because of incorrect signage, or is the Seaside supposed to be at Terminal D? How would you have known if you hadn't recognized your ship? Was it listed (either correctly or incorrectly) on any of your cruise documents?

Since some of you came in Lyft and some in Taxi, which do you recommend? DH and I are currently discussing the car booster seat for my youngest and will probably end up bringing our cheapest, lightest backless one along for the ride between MIA and POM. Any input on that from your experience with toddler?

It was correctly listed in our documents. There are also electronic reader boards at the beginning of each terminal stating which ship was docked there.

We had an otherwise great experience using lyft. I purchased the bubble bum for toddler (just do a Google/ Amazon search) and it worked a charm! Very convenient for travel.

I guess we can only multi-quote two posts at a time, but thank you to the other poster who also confirmed Terminal F. I plan ahead like a freak, have all my info in one place and then vacation is easy.

Bingo was not free. Different games had different costs.

I recall seeing family karaoke in the kids club schedule though we didn't attend.

Great, thanks!

It was correctly listed in our documents. There are also electronic reader boards at the beginning of each terminal stating which ship was docked there.

We had an otherwise great experience using lyft. I purchased the bubble bum for toddler (just do a Google/ Amazon search) and it worked a charm! Very convenient for travel.

I've got a bubble bum in my Amazon cart right now, was waiting to see if it ever goes on sale, but we'll either get that or just bring a small one we already own. I was hoping they had some at the taxi stands, etc. which I wouldn't do with a 5-point seat, but boosters are different. Did you end up using the bubble bum at any of the ports? I'm thinking most of our stuff with be tours will be in buses.

Thanks for the recommendation for Paradise Beach! That makes up our mind on that one. We also have reservations for Stingray City and for Maya Chan all-inclusive at Costa Maya. Thinking we'll take the Peat Taylor Tours shuttle to Dunn's River Falls.

I've read through your thread so many times, because I can only pay attention to so much at a time. Now I'm going to go back through at look at the schedules and menus you posted. If you could pick one entree from the main dining room to eat again right now, what would it be?

I guess we can only multi-quote two posts at a time, but thank you to the other poster who also confirmed Terminal F. I plan ahead like a freak, have all my info in one place and then vacation is easy.

Great, thanks!

I've got a bubble bum in my Amazon cart right now, was waiting to see if it ever goes on sale, but we'll either get that or just bring a small one we already own. I was hoping they had some at the taxi stands, etc. which I wouldn't do with a 5-point seat, but boosters are different. Did you end up using the bubble bum at any of the ports? I'm thinking most of our stuff with be tours will be in buses.

Thanks for the recommendation for Paradise Beach! That makes up our mind on that one. We also have reservations for Stingray City and for Maya Chan all-inclusive at Costa Maya. Thinking we'll take the Peat Taylor Tours shuttle to Dunn's River Falls.

I've read through your thread so many times, because I can only pay attention to so much at a time. Now I'm going to go back through at look at the schedules and menus you posted. If you could pick one entree from the main dining room to eat again right now, what would it be?

We used it all the times we were in Miami, and then again in Antigua and Cozumel where our taxis were minivans. We were never asked if we had a car seat when getting in the cars and I think things are pretty lax in that regard. We just pulled it out as needed. Other places the transportation was more like shuttles, large open air vans, etc. I loved the bubble bum because we could deflate it, roll it up, and shove it in a backpack/ beach bag. Never felt like we were lugging gear around.

Your port plans sound fantastic! Getting into ocho rios properly just gives me one more reason to have to go back.

Ooooo, which entree. Come swinging with the hard questions! Honestly there are a lot of good choices, but from the main restaurant, I'm going to say the cioppino. Mr. Seaweeyin's pick is the filet and lobster. He says the steaks were all good from the filet to the new yorks.

We used it all the times we were in Miami, and then again in Antigua and Cozumel where our taxis were minivans. We were never asked if we had a car seat when getting in the cars and I think things are pretty lax in that regard. We just pulled it out as needed. Other places the transportation was more like shuttles, large open air vans, etc. I loved the bubble bum because we could deflate it, roll it up, and shove it in a backpack/ beach bag. Never felt like we were lugging gear around.

Your port plans sound fantastic! Getting into ocho rios properly just gives me one more reason to have to go back.

Ooooo, which entree. Come swinging with the hard questions! Honestly there are a lot of good choices, but from the main restaurant, I'm going to say the cioppino. Mr. Seaweeyin's pick is the filet and lobster. He says the steaks were all good from the filet to the new yorks.

I second that. I was also on the cruise from 12/30/17. That was the best Filet and lobster we ever had. Great review also.

I did not notice that offering at all in the dailies or advertised around the ship. I would have remembered if I had. It sounds like fun! Maybe they'll add this activity as everything settles into place after the first few weeks.

Thank you, I hope so too

Seeweeyin

I would appreciate your advise here. We too have family cabins and just got our assignments. Like you the assigned rooms will not work due to grandson not being in rooms with his parents. I did an you did, tried customer service....that was a wasted 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Would you advise us to go immediately to guest services and stand in line, and do we all have to go as this will mean 4 of us have to have our room keys (number) changed or can one poor miserable soul stand in line with all the cards and sort this out?

Thank you!

Yes the themed parties were geared towards families as well. They usually started in the atrium with the entertainment staff putting on a show mingling with all guests (all three levels).

There was the 70's night, Italian night, which I believe was also the White Party, The Gatsby Night, and Pirate Night and these themed parties were available to all guests.

I didn't participate in Bingo and only did one activity in the Haven Lounge which was the Quest Game and it was open to anyone.

There was karaoke available, just not sure about family karaoke. The last night, you could actually sing with the band as opposed to a recording.

Seeweeyin

I would appreciate your advise here. We too have family cabins and just got our assignments. Like you the assigned rooms will not work due to grandson not being in rooms with his parents. I did an you did, tried customer service....that was a wasted 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Would you advise us to go immediately to guest services and stand in line, and do we all have to go as this will mean 4 of us have to have our room keys (number) changed or can one poor miserable soul stand in line with all the cards and sort this out?

Thank you!

Second note.....I now have spent another 30 minutes on the phone with customer service. It seems that somehow while talking to the first person he somehow managed to cancel the drink packages (adult and child) off one of the rooms. Problem is being sent to inventory control and supposedly will take a day or 2 to fix. I am afraid I see another several calls to customer service in my future.

Second note.....I now have spent another 30 minutes on the phone with customer service. It seems that somehow while talking to the first person he somehow managed to cancel the drink packages (adult and child) off one of the rooms. Problem is being sent to inventory control and supposedly will take a day or 2 to fix. I am afraid I see another several calls to customer service in my future.

OK 3rd note....

Regarding our "Super Family" one room is assigned early seating and the second is assigned late seating. Grrrrr.....guess I will stand in line to get this changed as well.

OK 3rd note....

Regarding our "Super Family" one room is assigned early seating and the second is assigned late seating. Grrrrr.....guess I will stand in line to get this changed as well.

Uggh.. how frustrating. I feel your pain. My advise is to get the dinner reservations fixed before boarding. First, the line day one was long and very slow moving and then maitrede’ basically told everyone to eat where assigned first day and he’d try to fix going forward. Needless to say, my request was not granted (and I was fantastica not bella).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uggh.. how frustrating. I feel your pain. My advise is to get the dinner reservations fixed before boarding. First, the line day one was long and very slow moving and then maitrede’ basically told everyone to eat where assigned first day and he’d try to fix going forward. Needless to say, my request was not granted (and I was fantastica not bella).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking about trying that but after the first call and the fiasco that resulted from that (Mealtime drink packages mysteriously cancelled) I am a bit leery. Maybe once they get the drink thing straightened out I will call and try fixing the meal times.

I second that. I was also on the cruise from 12/30/17. That was the best Filet and lobster we ever had. Great review also.

Thanks Tall Cruiser and Seewayin- On our last cruise, I ordered steak every night. Every night I asked our server for his recommendations, and every night I ended up choosing steak. Thankfully, he thought it was funny. DH is a seafood guy, so that cioppino will go on his list for sure. We'll double check which night they offer it in the MDR.

Yes the themed parties were geared towards families as well. They usually started in the atrium with the entertainment staff putting on a show mingling with all guests (all three levels).

There was the 70's night, Italian night, which I believe was also the White Party, The Gatsby Night, and Pirate Night and these themed parties were available to all guests.

I didn't participate in Bingo and only did one activity in the Haven Lounge which was the Quest Game and it was open to anyone.

There was karaoke available, just not sure about family karaoke. The last night, you could actually sing with the band as opposed to a recording.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear there will be some organized things we can do on the ship together. It sounds like we'll find things to do in the Haven lounge and if they open Doremi to family activities sometimes. My DD will be bummed if we can't all karaoke together, but I'm glad to hear they at least offer it in the kids club for her and in the bar for us.

I am thinking about trying that but after the first call and the fiasco that resulted from that (Mealtime drink packages mysteriously cancelled) I am a bit leery. Maybe once they get the drink thing straightened out I will call and try fixing the meal times.

Just an update...I have not tried to "fix" the dining time goof because I am at this date STILL trying to get the mealtime drink package fixed. MSC does admit that I did have it, should have it, and that someone with the name of Sam in customer service cancelled it. They can provide NO reason why and several of the customer service agents have even remarked they do not know how he could have even done it. I have lost count of the number of calls I have made, the number of people I have talked to and the endless amount of time on hold. I have managed to get 2 different ladies who are trying to get it fixed "added back on" however so far it has been unsuccessful. They say they have "sent a ticket" to the main department (which has a 6 hour time difference according to them) and that it should only take a day or two. I am still on the "day or two" even though this was first said Monday of last week.

My patience is wearing very thin. I so wanted to like MSC and did like the YC cruise we took last year on the Davina. However with the arrival of the Seaside I certainly question their management skills and decision making. I do think there is a definite class system starting to occur with MSC ( if you haven't booked the YC watch out). With 30 cruises behind me this is the first time I can definitely say I have never been as concerned as I am now that I have totally wasted several thousand dollars on 3 rooms. In the past I have always looked forward to leaving (instead of somewhat dreading) but this one is beginning to look like I made a big mistake.

For those who might say I should cancel, not possible with this cruise being within the next few weeks. I'll still go and hope things straighten out for the best, and that all the negatives that are being reported are addressed and fixed, however I am seriously doubting they will be. We will still as a family make the most of it and make it a positive week, but its definitely appearing that this trip isn't going to be what it had been advertised to be. MSC did look for me and my family as a very promising line but that thought is changing quickly. With all the new builds they have scheduled in the next 5 years it will be interesting to see if they are able to maintain their lofty aspirations with the problems and lack of services they seem to be experiencing with this ship.