US Coast Guard Hawaiian division Heli medivac operation from M/S Maasdam

Bellair

What John describes as "policing the area" to remove loose items is what the military calls "FOD detail" (Foreign Object Damage), because even the smallest item like a plastic cup can get ingested into the turbines and cause damage. It is something the military takes very seriously, and I know the Coasties have a bit of "pucker factor" hoping the cruise ship crew are as diligent as their own folks.

What John describes as "policing the area" to remove loose items is what the military calls "FOD detail" (Foreign Object Damage), because even the smallest item like a plastic cup can get ingested into the turbines and cause damage. It is something the military takes very seriously, and I know the Coasties have a bit of "pucker factor" hoping the cruise ship crew are as diligent as their own folks.

FOD walk in progress carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN-74)

1000w_q95.jpg

Pretty interesting look of the stern of Noordam from the USCG Rescue Swimmer's perspective

John, from the photo it looks like the ship is still moving? Is this common during a rescue, or does the ship usually come to a full stop as the helo is attempting a rescue?

John, from the photo it looks like the ship is still moving? Is this common during a rescue, or does the ship usually come to a full stop as the helo is attempting a rescue?

A stationary ship is much more vulnerable to rolling and pitching in the seas, and more difficult to maintain heading, so the ship will slow steam to achieve heading stability, roll stability, and to get the exhaust gas plume in the proper relative direction so it doesn't adversely affect the helicopter. It also can put the wind in the proper orientation for the operation. The pilot is doing a "moving hover", remaining stationary with respect to the ship, but moving with respect to the earth.

Evening Sebastian; the ship will always be moving at a certain speed (usually between 10-15 knots) and on a certain course (usually into the wind to ride as easily as possible), as instructed by the helicopter commander when a medevac takes place. The ship would be far more unstable, subjected to motion, if it was stopped dead in the water

Many thanks for all the info Copper 10-8,

Two things happened in this medivac, The diver was left behind and was announced that he would sail to Dan Diego with us (a 6 day trip). around 1.5 hrs into the fast 21k sail to make up 18+ hrs time, the Captain announced that the Coast Guard commander wanted his diver back, so we again came to a halt to await the helicopter pickup.

A few days later in a Q&A it was mentioned that the US Coast Guard will only pick up US citizens....amazing if true as here in Australia & NZ our Air Force will pick up any soul that is in need of rescue....and not be charged for it.

Interesting.

Two things happened in this medivac, The diver was left behind and was announced that he would sail to Dan Diego with us (a 6 day trip). around 1.5 hrs into the fast 21k sail to make up 18+ hrs time, the Captain announced that the Coast Guard commander wanted his diver back, so we again came to a halt to await the helicopter pickup.

A few days later in a Q&A it was mentioned that the US Coast Guard will only pick up US citizens....amazing if true as here in Australia & NZ our Air Force will pick up any soul that is in need of rescue....and not be charged for it.

Interesting.

That is not true. The USCG has airlifted many a foreign crew member, and foreign passenger from ships.

Interesting.

That is an erroneous statement by whoever presented that during the Q&A! The Dec 2017 medevac off Oosterdam by the CGAS San Diego crew involved a non-U.S. citizen

Trying to figure out why the MH-65C Dolphin aircraft commander from Barbers Point would leave his/her rescue-swimmer, an integral part of his/her air crew, on Maasdam, and initially would allow him to have a six-day cruise vacation to San Diego

That is an erroneous statement by whoever presented that during the Q&A! The Dec 2017 medevac off Oosterdam by the CGAS San Diego crew involved a non-U.S. citizen

Trying to figure out why the MH-65C Dolphin aircraft commander from Barbers Point would leave his/her rescue-swimmer, an integral part of his/her air crew, on Maasdam, and initially would allow him to have a six-day cruise vacation to San Diego

Maybe they were bingo fuel, and the rescue swimmer was due to rotate to the mainland anyway! :D

Maybe they were bingo fuel, and the rescue swimmer was due to rotate to the mainland anyway! :D

Good one! :D If they were bingo fuel at the conclusion of that evolution and couldn't p/u their rescue-swimmer as a result, losing him for a week while giving free swimming lessons at the Lido pool to Maasie guests, that would be poor flight management by the folks up front and the powers to be up the CG chain would not be happy campers :cool:

The Med Evc in the Bering Sea was off the Amsterdam, we all sat in the Crows Nest and watched it all play out, I got some great pictures & if I ever figure out how to post them I would. I wondered at the time why they let us stay in the Crows Nest because I thought if things go horribly wrong the helo could come in the windows, because the weather was not good

Allan

Interesting.

I can assure you that is not true. (I'm USCG) :)

It might have been a problem with the hoist. Bingo fuel is also a possibility, but I don't find it likely on this particular evolution. I could be wrong though.

The Med Evc in the Bering Sea was off the Amsterdam, we all sat in the Crows Nest and watched it all play out, I got some great pictures & if I ever figure out how to post them I would. I wondered at the time why they let us stay in the Crows Nest because I thought if things go horribly wrong the helo could come in the windows, because the weather was not good

Allan

Somebody dropped the ball on that one; the Crow's Nest should have been evacuated!