Transportation to Horseshoe Bay and Shopping?

jetta8300

I've read through quite a bit of threads and I still cannot seem to grasp how to get around in Bermuda, how to get tickets for transportation, etc. We will be arriving October 5 on the NLC Breakaway.

We would like to go our first day to Horseshoe Bay beach. What is the best way to get there from the ship? I've seen info about busses, cabs, some sort of small vans, and ferries?

The next day we will probably go to a different beach, or the shopping area, Hamilton I think? What would be the best way to get to shopping? And where to purchase?

No clue what we will do the third day. Possibly stay around the pier. Thanks for any help you can give me!:confused:

Horseshoe Beach? Take a bus. Hamilton? Take the ferry or a bus. Where to buy? Where to buy WHAT? Have you considered buying a guidebook? You are going to find that Bermuda is very different from the Caribbean.

Where to purchase tickets for the transportation is what I meant... If we get tickets for the ferry the same place as the busses or small vans... GEEZ. :(

Where to purchase tickets for the transportation is what I meant... If we get tickets for the ferry the same place as the busses or small vans... GEEZ. :(

Well, GEEZ, [emoji33] all that information has been posted on this board many times the last few months. All you have to do is read it. But to recap.....

For the public buses and ferries you need tokens or one or two day transportation passes. Tokens and passes for either the ferries or buses. Those are sold at the Visitor Information Centers. One of them is in your cruise ships terminal building.

The private minibus shuttles are parked outside right after you exit the terminal area. You can't miss them along with the taxi stands. You pay for the minibus and taxis with cash.

The best way to get to Horseshoe in my opinion is the $7 minibus shuttle. It takes you right down to the beach and when you leave it picks up at the bottom of the hill by the beach.

For one of your days I recommend taking the ferry to St. George's. Either day one or two. St. George's is a World Heritage Site. While there you could also go to Tobacco bay which has decent snorkeling, chair rentals and a concession stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Just back from Bermuda last week. We took the minivan from the pier to Horseshoe and back. It was $7.00 per person one way.

We also went to St George by ferry. It was $9.00 per person for the round trip tokens, purchased at the information kiosk in the arrival terminal just off the ship.

Just back from Bermuda last week. We took the minivan from the pier to Horseshoe and back. It was $7.00 per person one way.

We also went to St George by ferry. It was $9.00 per person for the round trip tokens, purchased at the information kiosk in the arrival terminal just off the ship.

Thanks so much! I was very confused because some threads were saying you could not purchase tokens or tickets anymore by the ship. Great to know that this is the case. We will look into taking the minivans then to Horseshoe, and the ferry to the shopping area. I also was not sure how that would work with the minivans with there only being two of us. I would assume they would just wait there until they could fill up the van?

Thanks so much! I was very confused because some threads were saying you could not purchase tokens or tickets anymore by the ship. Great to know that this is the case. We will look into taking the minivans then to Horseshoe, and the ferry to the shopping area. I also was not sure how that would work with the minivans with there only being two of us. I would assume they would just wait there until they could fill up the van?

They wait for the minivans to fill up. That should not take very long.

That would be Hamilton. In your other post you asked where to purchase, that depends on what you are looking for. Don't expect to get any cheap bargains and the price you see is the price you pay. If you go to St. George, there is limited shopping there. You can also shop at the Clock Tower Mall at Dockyard but don't expect a big mall. The Bermuda Craft Market at Dockyard with things by locals.

I have searched this board extensively but have yet been able to find if the "books" of tickets (15 tickets for $37.50= $2.50 per ticket) are good for buses& ferries just like the tokens?

That has been discussed on this board fairly often. Don't know why you could not find it. They are good on buses and ferries like the tokens. Problem for those whose ships dock at the Royal Navel Dockyard is that the ticket books are not sold at the Dockyard.

I have searched this board extensively but have yet been able to find if the "books" of tickets (15 tickets for $37.50= $2.50 per ticket) are good for buses& ferries just like the tokens?

Yes, the tickets are good on both the public buses and ferries... BUT...they are not sold at the Dockyard, where you can only buy tokens or passes. The closest places to Dockyard where you can buy them are the ferry or bus terminals in Hamilton

Edited by njhorseman

Ok so if I'm going with my hubby and 2 kids it would be $56 round trip to get to horseshoe bay?!? Any more economically way? Kids will

Be 3.5 and 7.5

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The more economical way is the public buses. You could do that with tokens for $23.50, $4.50 X4 for the adults, $2.75 x2 for the 7 year old. Under 5 is free. It is not as easy or convenient though as the minibus shuttles as you will have to wait for the buses. They leave seats for local passengers so you might have to wait 30 minutes for the next bus. You might have to stand. The buses are not express, they stop and let off and pick up passengers. You will have to walk down and up a steep hill.

Edited by Charles4515

Jetta8300 we will be on the same cruise and cant wait. Im trying to read the boards and figure everything out as well. Thanks for the post!

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and hope you enjoy Bermuda!!

I would suggest you read the post by member Dreamer68 titled 3-Day plan from a Bermuda newbie

Also, reading her trip report is recommended -

Trip Report: Summit to Bermuda, 31/07/16 - 07/08/16, Newbie perspective

SBtS

Yes, the tickets are good on both the public buses and ferries... BUT...they are not sold at the Dockyard, where you can only buy tokens or passes. The closest places to Dockyard where you can buy them are the ferry or bus terminals in Hamilton

Thx again njhorseman for the transportation info. looking forward to our trip to Bermuda.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! I had read different posts saying there was no shuttle to Horseshoe and the only choice was bus or taxi. Glad to know there is a minivan. Great price!

Thank you! I had read different posts saying there was no shuttle to Horseshoe and the only choice was bus or taxi. Glad to know there is a minivan. Great price!

Wow.

I, too, read that post a while ago.

I appreciate you posting this as well, OP .. it'll be my first time in Bermuda and it CAN be confusing, especially when some info being shared on these boards is assumed or not up-to-date. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of time to research on my own but I know not all are lucky like that and depend on questions being answered here. Hope you get plenty of non-snotty answers to your questions!

In what alternate reality did you read that there was no shuttle?

Wow! Such a kind response Charles4515. As I said, I had read several posts that had stated that. Maybe I'll just go to you from now on for ALL my Bermuda questions since you are obviously not in an "alternate universe".

We were on Breakaway a couple of weeks ago. I have two one - day transportation passes that are unused. They were $19 each, but they aren't doing me any good now. They are good for unlimited travel on the busses and ferries on any one calendar day. If anyone wants them, I'll drop them in an envelope.