Wifi- pay as you go?

zuzuflubpickle

I'm sailing on Solstice later this week and am wondering whether there was a pay as you go option for purchasing WiFi as I don't want a package.

I have house sales happening and I will need to check my emails briefly each day.

Also if i am lucky enough to get an offer, are there facilities to print and scan? Cheers[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

So...what about printing and scanning? Are these facilities available???

There is printing capability in the Internet Lounge and there will be staff (during limited hours) that can help you if there is a problem. But we have never noticed any scanning capability for the passengers....although Guest Relations certainly has that capability for themselves. You also need to understand that all shipboard internet is dependent on a complex system that relies on satellite communications. The system is far from perfect an outages (sometimes long term) can and do happen. Even bad weather can impact the internet service. If having internet access is ultra important, you might want to consider some other form of vacation.

Hank=================

Unless you will also be using the WiFi available in the ports, you are going to want unlimited. We have tried other options and have limited needs but will only go with unlimited in the future.

As for scanning, I know some folks who use a phone app. If it is just a couple of pages, I would just take a photo and send.

Celebrity (and I am sure others) have moved to these exorbitantly priced unlimited WiFi packages and completely eliminating less expensive plans because they realize that "being connected" to electronic communication devices has become addictive. This corporate greed is unfortunate because there are many peeps that cannot justify the cost for unlimited as they only want to occasional keep in touch with family at home. I am one of these poor souls.

With this in mind if anyone has any ideas of how to creatively circumvent the system I could use some advice. I do realize I may be able to get on-line in port, but this is not always possible or convenient, and not sure whether I trust some of these "open" networks.

BZ

Celebrity (and I am sure others) have moved to these exorbitantly priced unlimited WiFi packages and completely eliminating less expensive plans because they realize that "being connected" to electronic communication devices has become addictive. This corporate greed is unfortunate because there are many peeps that cannot justify the cost for unlimited as they only want to occasional keep in touch with family at home. I am one of these poor souls.

With this in mind if anyone has any ideas of how to creatively circumvent the system I could use some advice. I do realize I may be able to get on-line in port, but this is not always possible or convenient, and not sure whether I trust some of these "open" networks.

BZ

Most US cell carriers have international travel passes now for $10. My last two cruises I did not buy the unlimited package, I bought a 24 hour travel pass from AT&T that can used at the ports. For example cruising this past December I used those at the ports of St. Kitts, Antigua, Grenada and Barbados. San Juan and St. Thomas were in my domestic plan. My total carrier charges $40. Worked particularly well as the itinerary was port intensive. On the sea day I used the complimentary interent minutes from my level in the loyalty program. Total ship WiFi charge was zero and at the ports did not have to worry about hotspots. I had plenty of interent access for seven days.

Most US cell carriers have international travel passes now for $10. My last two cruises I did not buy the unlimited package, I bought a 24 hour travel pass from AT&T that can used at the ports. For example cruising this past December I used those at the ports of St. Kitts, Antigua, Grenada and Barbados. San Juan and St. Thomas were in my domestic plan. My total carrier charges $40. Worked particularly well as the itinerary was port intensive. On the sea day I used the complimentary interent minutes from my level in the loyalty program. Total ship WiFi charge was zero and at the ports did not have to worry about hotspots. I had plenty of interent access for seven days.

Sure, you can pay ATT or Verizon. On the other hand, if you simply have T-Mobile as your US Carrier you get International Data and Texting for no additional charges and only pay 20 cents/min for phone calls. Like you, we simply use our complementary minutes on the ship (we get a few hundred free minutes).

Hank

I'm sailing on Solstice later this week and am wondering whether there was a pay as you go option for purchasing WiFi as I don't want a package.

I have house sales happening and I will need to check my emails briefly each day.

Also if i am lucky enough to get an offer, are there facilities to print and scan? Cheers[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

If you live in the U.S. your realtor should be able to set you up on docusign or ziplogix digital ink, you won't need to print or scan anything, you'll be able to review offers & accept or negotiate from your smart phone. Good luck on your sale, around here, things sell before we can get the sign up lol. ;)

So...what about printing and scanning? Are these facilities available???

Use your phone camera as a scanner. The iLounge staff will let you Airdrop files to be printed.

I will try to post an image here from December on the Summit. Special deals, didn’t notice until the day before disembarkation...nope, app not linking to Photos.

Anyway, 20 minutes continuous for $10, one hour continuous for $25, 24 continuous for $49.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...