QE2 Hotel to open soon!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:36 PM.
London, UK
497 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Many thought that it would never happen, but news sources now say that it will happen within the next few weeks: The QE2 will open as a hotel in Dubai.

The ex-Cunard Ocean Liner has been docked in Dubai's Port Rashid, since 2008, after the original plans for a hotel on board fell through.

Slide show with new images of QE2 Hotel: https://youtu.be/ehNlmPuEpEU
100 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Good to hear, deserves a happy retirement with a good turn over of guests after being mothballed so long. Hopefully the rooms have been brought up to spec so she can compete as she has some stiff competition! It would certainly be something if they made the bridge into a suite with an unparalleled view!
Vale of Glamorgan
4,141 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The website is now showing a lot more detail, including types of rooms and room rates.

https://www.qe2.com/hotel
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
Iowa
1,576 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Host Hattie
The website is now showing a lot more detail, including types of rooms and room rates.

https://www.qe2.com/hotel
Yes, indeed. Currently showing room availability from April 20th onward.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

Northeastern Ohio
138 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by bluemarble
Yes, indeed. Currently showing room availability from April 20th onward.
Gosh right about when we arrive at Dubai on QM2!
Iowa
1,576 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by milkcow
Gosh right about when we arrive at Dubai on QM2!
Yes, there have been several reports that the QE2 Hotel's opening date will be April 18th to correspond with QM2's arrival in Dubai. And today I am now seeing room availability from April 18th onward on their web site.

There have also been reports on this forum that QM2 will be delivering several items to QE2 that had been on loan to QE. Quoting from safarigal, those items include "the bust of Queen Elizabeth in the Queens Room, the personal standard of the Queen Mother, and the silver model of QE2 in the yacht club".

I imagine there could be quite a show in store for you in Dubai with QM2's arrival and the opening of the QE2 hotel on the same day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John

"There’s nothing―absolutely nothing―half so much worth doing as messing about in boats." ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind In The Willows

CroisiEurope Douce France, Rhine River (2004) ... Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic (2005, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016) ... Queen Elizabeth 2, Norwegian Wonders (2008) ... Island Princess, Panama Canal (2008) ... Queen Victoria, Gallic Getaway (2009) ... Norwegian Epic, Eastern Caribbean (2010) ... Brilliance of the Seas, Suez Canal (2011) ... Queen Elizabeth, Eastern Mediterranean (2012) ... Maasdam, Canada and New England (2013) ... Queen Mary 2, Caribbean Fiesta (2013) ... Serenade of the Seas, Baltic (2017)

New Jersey
9,633 Posts
Joined May 2007
Nooo, not the silver ship model! I was so happy when I heard it was on QE. If I could have had one thing from QE2, that silver ship would have been it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
11 QM2 - 7 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia, Canada
1 Caronia - Baltic
12 HAL -Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean, Alaska
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Chicago, IL, USA
2,082 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by 3rdGenCunarder
Nooo, not the silver ship model! I was so happy when I heard it was on QE. If I could have had one thing from QE2, that silver ship would have been it.
Hi,

Like you, I love the silver model of the QE2. I took many photos of the model aboard both the QE2 and the Queen Elizabeth. I didn't realize until recently that the model was only "on loan" to Cunard.

I am glad to see that the QE2 is finally opening as a hotel ship. The ship looks good, but I fear that it will have a difficult time competing with the spectacular hotels of Dubai. Hopefully, there will be enough ocean liner aficionados to support the QE2.

Chuck
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
562 days - 88 cruises - 64 ships

Princess (128 days, 19 cruises); Royal Caribbean (124 days, 22 cruises); Cunard (105 days, 17 cruises); Norwegian (53 days, 8 cruises); Celebrity (51 days, 8 cruises); Crystal (43 days, 5 cruises); Holland America (38 days, 5 cruises); Other (20 days, 4 cruises)

Future cruises: Emerald Princess, May 9, 2018 (4-day Pacific Coastal); Queen Victoria, Sep. 22, 2018 (7-day Mediterranean); Mariner of the Seas, Dec. 7, 2018 (3-day Bahamas); Symphony of the Seas, Feb. 23, 2019 (7-day Western Caribbean)

Areas cruised to: Alaska; Asia (Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand); Australia; Bahamas; Bermuda; Canada/New England; Caribbean; Greek Islands; Hawaii; Mediterranean; Mexican Riviera; Norway; Pacific Coastal; Panama Canal; Scandinavia/Russia; Spain/Portugal; Tahiti; Transatlantic Crossings
SE Queensland, Australia
5,485 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
As a hotel, I guess lunch/dinner would be available for people not staying on the ship??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
A Blog of our unusual "World Cruise" - Brisbane to Brisbane, Australia - 12 weeks on two different P&O ships, Oriana and Arcadia - with a White Christmas in-between....UK 2010

A review of our 28 day cruise to Tahiti on Pacific Pearl.... Pacific Pearl to Tahiti

Pics of our "3 Queens" cruise with Cunard--May/Jun 2012...Plane, Cunard and train to Germany

Pics of our 14 nights on Voyager of the Seas -- to NZ...On a BIG ship to NZ

A report of the inaugural cruise by Pacific Dawn to Papua New Guinea ports...Pacific Dawn to PNG

Ships sailed on since 2007

P&O Pacific Star
P&O Pacific Sun x 2
P&O Pacific Dawn x 3
P&O Pacific Pearl
P&O Pacific Aria
P&O Oriana
P&O Arcadia
Cunard Queen Victoria
Cunard Queen Elizabeth x 2
Cunard Queen Mary 2 x 2
RCCL Voyager of the Seas
RCCL Radiance of the Seas
Carnival Spirit
Sea Princess
Sun Princess
NCL Pride of America
Vale of Glamorgan
4,141 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
A few more details of facilities available during the few months between April and the grand opening in October.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...E2-Opens-Dubai
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
100 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
Looking at the photos in the papers today the ship looks infinitely better on the cabins front than she did in her last years of service. The frumpy, worn and tired furnishings are gone and have been replaced with clean, new furnishings and retained a few of the nicer shipboard details. A job well done and hopefully on to new successes!
Iowa
1,576 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Just saw this article on the Cruise Industry News web site.

Queen Mary 2 Guests Get First Taste of QE2 Hotel in Dubai
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John