DIY from Cannes??

shopping is fun

We are hoping to pick just one or two places to visit on our own from Cannes (in port 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, tendered) in June. After we visit the neighboring town(s), we hope to explore Cannes a bit. This does not need to be a beach day, nor do we want to "subject" our teenage daughters to an abundance of history lessons! Also, we prefer to be back on our ship by 3:30-4:00 pm. We love exploring, quaint (not ritzy) shopping, informal quick lunches, and beautiful sights/views. Our choices seem to be Villafranche, Antibes, Eze, Nice, and perhaps Monte Carlo (just to say we've been there--but not sure it is worth it just for that reason!!)

Any input on how we plan our day will be appreciated!

The best way to DIY out of Cannes is by train. Antibes, Nice, Villefranche and Montecarlo are on the train line, in that order. Eze is not on the train line.

With the time constraints you have, I would suggest train to Nice in the morning to go to the flower market. Then take the train back to Antibes to wonder around the old town and lunch. Then back to Cannes for a walk along the Croisette and back to your ship by 4.

There is plenty of souvenir and "quaint" shopping in Nice and Antibes. And most important, beautiful sights and views.

If you want to use the train then we completely agree with Marazul's itinerary. The Nice Flower Market is more then just flowers and its a neat outdoor market where you can get a good feel for the local flower, food, and craft culture. There are plenty of places where you can stop for a morning cup of java or whatever. The Flower Market is adjacent to Nice's old town which is nice for a stroll as is the nearby Promanade along the beach/water. The same train line that gets you to Nice will also go right through Antibes (another place worth a stop).

If you were to rent a car for the day (rather than using the train) we would strongly recommend driving to St Paul de Vence (one of my favorite spots in the region) where you can walk, browse the galleries, shop, etc, etc.

Keep in mind that St Paul de Vence and Eze Village are two popular places that are not very convenient for those relying on train travel.

Hank

You could also go to the Lerin Islands just off Cannes itself. One is a nature reserve with a fort where the man in the iron mask was kept, and the other has a monastery where you can do wine tastings. About 15euro for the return ferry, which leaves from right next to where the cruise ships tender.

We took the train, followed by a short bus ride to St. Paul de Vence, spent the morning there, it was actually surprisingly easy to do, in the afternoon we backtracked to Antibes, spent the afternoon there, including a few hours in the excellent Picasso museum... lovely day, but full, & would not get you back on board as early as you wish.

Nice has a sweet flower market, but it's not open everyday so check the schedule, when we were there the first time it was closed, I think it was a Monday or Tuesday, but again, check the schedule.

I'd choose either Nice or Antibes, & then head back to Cannes old town area "Le Sesquet" & the surrounding neighborhood that underwent some extensive restoration in the last few years with the streets pedestrianized & cobblestones put back in place, the area below that has nice little sidewalk cafes & there is a marketplace with fresh flowers, fish, vegetable, etc. that is nice to explore or even buy a flower arrangement to take back on board.

A little bit of Cannes & the old town area, Church in the Sesquet area:

DSCN0789.jpg

View from Le Sesquet, you can see the festival tents along shore

DSCN0804.jpg

Cannes

DSCN0764.jpg

Nice has a sweet flower market, but it's not open everyday so check the schedule, when we were there the first time it was closed, I think it was a Monday or Tuesday, but again, check the schedule.

I'd choose either Nice or Antibes, & then head back to Cannes old town area "Le Sesquet"

The Flower and Vegetable Market in Nice is closed on Mondays. However, it is a flea market (and crafts) on Mondays and the flower stands will still be open. It is nearly as large as the regular market. Don't forget it closes everyday by 12:30.

The area of old Cannes is called "Le Suquet"

The Flower and Vegetable Market in Nice is closed on Mondays. However, it is a flea market (and crafts) on Mondays and the flower stands will still be open. It is nearly as large as the regular market. Don't forget it closes everyday by 12:30.

The area of old Cannes is called "Le Suquet"

Sorry about the misspell, The only thing worse than my french spelling is my french accent ;)

We took the train, followed by a short bus ride to St. Paul de Vence, spent the morning there, it was actually surprisingly easy to do, in the afternoon we backtracked to Antibes, spent the afternoon there, including a few hours in the excellent Picasso museum... lovely day, but full, & would not get you back on board as early as you wish.

I'd choose either Nice or Antibes, & then head back to Cannes old town area "Le Sesquet" & the surrounding neighborhood that underwent some extensive restoration in the last few years with the streets pedestrianized & cobblestones put back in place, the area below that has nice little sidewalk cafes & there is a marketplace with fresh flowers, fish, vegetable, etc. that is nice to explore or even buy a flower arrangement to take back on board.

A little bit of Cannes & the old town area, Church in the Sesquet area:

DSCN0789.jpg

View from Le Sesquet, you can see the festival tents along shore

DSCN0804.jpg

Cannes

DSCN0764.jpg

Not to many years ago I was often giving folks detailed directions on how to get to St Paul de Vence using the train/bus combination. We have done this ourselves, although we now prefer to simply rent a car. However, I received a few reports of folks taking the train to Cagnes sur Mer and then not being able to get on the #400 bus because it was full and the driver just drove by the bus stop without picking up passengers. This meant waiting about an hour for the next bus, or taking a taxi. So now, we are cautious about discussing this option. But, yes, one can take the train from Nice to Cagnes sur Mer and then walk over to the bus stop for the #400 bus :).

But, we do agree with Marazul about going the the Nice Flower Market (even on Mondays). Even though we have been in this part of France many times (sometimes for weeks at a time) we always find the time to get to this outdoor market. For us, its just fun to see the local/regional products and enjoy the atmosphere. In fact, when we stay in France we will often go to several markets a week (depending on our location)..

I should mention that Antibes also has a pretty active market, although its indoors.

Hank

Not to many years ago I was often giving folks detailed directions on how to get to St Paul de Vence using the train/bus combination. We have done this ourselves, although we now prefer to simply rent a car. However, I received a few reports of folks taking the train to Cagnes sur Mer and then not being able to get on the #400 bus because it was full and the driver just drove by the bus stop without picking up passengers. This meant waiting about an hour for the next bus, or taking a taxi. So now, we are cautious about discussing this option. But, yes, one can take the train from Nice to Cagnes sur Mer and then walk over to the bus stop for the #400 bus :).

But, we do agree with Marazul about going the the Nice Flower Market (even on Mondays). Even though we have been in this part of France many times (sometimes for weeks at a time) we always find the time to get to this outdoor market. For us, its just fun to see the local/regional products and enjoy the atmosphere. In fact, when we stay in France we will often go to several markets a week (depending on our location)..

I should mention that Antibes also has a pretty active market, although its indoors.

Hank

Hank I probably got my directions from one of your posts :) so thank you! When we went we got off of the ship on the very first tender, & walked straight to the train station, we pretty much had SP De Vence all to ourselves, which was quite nice. The bus going there wasn't full, but it was early still. We left SP as the hordes from the cruise ship buses showed up.

We still have not been brave enough to rent cars on our travels abroad, but next year we do plan on driving in Scotland & Iceland. I may try to pick your brain a bit on the British Isles section of the boards if you don't mind.

The Antibes market has a roof and no walls, so it is covered but not quite indoors. They have the usual vegetables, etc in the am and it has a lot of crafts in the afternoons and evenings. It is surrounded by lots of restaurants and cafes and it is one block away from the ramparts and the Picasso museum.

The best way to DIY out of Cannes is by train. Antibes, Nice, Villefranche and Montecarlo are on the train line, in that order. Eze is not on the train line.

With the time constraints you have, I would suggest train to Nice in the morning to go to the flower market. Then take the train back to Antibes to wonder around the old town and lunch. Then back to Cannes for a walk along the Croisette and back to your ship by 4.

There is plenty of souvenir and "quaint" shopping in Nice and Antibes. And most important, beautiful sights and views.

I have been to Cannes 4 times - the first time with teenage daughters. I second this itinerary - and only include Antibes if you really have lots of time left from being in Nice. Lovely as Antibes is, clock-watching can take away the enjoyment.

If you are on a port-intensive cruise, Cannes can be one of the 'relaxing' days - and I think it is worth taking your bikini with you in case you do decide you want to swim - you are on the French Riviera after all.

Cannes has some lovely views from the old town, there are lovely shops including a Paul Bakery to practise your French. Walking along La Croisette in the sunshine ticks all my boxes for enjoying a day ashore.

Hank I probably got my directions from one of your posts :) so thank you! When we went we got off of the ship on the very first tender, & walked straight to the train station, we pretty much had SP De Vence all to ourselves, which was quite nice. The bus going there wasn't full, but it was early still. We left SP as the hordes from the cruise ship buses showed up.

We still have not been brave enough to rent cars on our travels abroad, but next year we do plan on driving in Scotland & Iceland. I may try to pick your brain a bit on the British Isles section of the boards if you don't mind.

ROFL! Sorry but have to laugh. Assuming you are from North America you are choosing the most challenging area for your first European rental car experience :). We assume you are aware that in the UK (including Scotland) they drive on left side of the road. And most of the rental cars have a standard (stick) shift which means you must shift with your left hand. This is a true challenge for many of us "yanks." If you do rent a car in Scotland you might try to get an automatic...even if it costs a little more money.

As to renting in Iceland that is an easy place to drive (except in downtown Reykjavik), especially if you have GPS (or a working cell phone with data). But Iceland rental cars can be very expensive so shop around and book far in advance. A few rental car companies deliver right to the port in Reykjavik while some others offer a free shuttle service to a nearby office.

Hank

ROFL! Sorry but have to laugh. Assuming you are from North America you are choosing the most challenging area for your first European rental car experience :). We assume you are aware that in the UK (including Scotland) they drive on left side of the road. And most of the rental cars have a standard (stick) shift which means you must shift with your left hand. This is a true challenge for many of us "yanks." If you do rent a car in Scotland you might try to get an automatic...even if it costs a little more money.

As to renting in Iceland that is an easy place to drive (except in downtown Reykjavik), especially if you have GPS (or a working cell phone with data). But Iceland rental cars can be very expensive so shop around and book far in advance. A few rental car companies deliver right to the port in Reykjavik while some others offer a free shuttle service to a nearby office.

Hank

Thank you Hank! We'll be sure to look into an automatic, I can drive stick, but that's a bit much to think about with it on the left side. Considering we almost killed our selves just crossing the street in NZ & Australia, I'm surprised that DH agreed to take on left hand driving. ;)

Thank you Hank! We'll be sure to look into an automatic, I can drive stick, but that's a bit much to think about with it on the left side. Considering we almost killed our selves just crossing the street in NZ & Australia, I'm surprised that DH agreed to take on left hand driving. ;)

When I first drove a stick in England I kept trying to shift with the door handle and signaling with the windshield wipers!

When I first drove a stick in England I kept trying to shift with the door handle and signaling with the windshield wipers!

The solution is quite simple. Have a few drinks and then it all seems normal :). But seriously, it can be a real problem for many drivers. I had the benefit of having lived in Japan for two years (when I was much younger) and owning a car. So when I have rented cars in the UK, Australia or NZ it only took me about 10 minutes to get used to driving on the left (and shifting with my left hand). But those first 10 minutes could be a period of terror! The first time I ever rented a car in England it was at a rental site located beneath Marble Arch. When I drove the rental car up the ramp into the very busy Circus....it was quite frightening (to me and everyone else near me).

Hank

The solution is quite simple. Have a few drinks and then it all seems normal :).

How did you know??? ;)

Actually, I eventually managed to get my British driver's license and I am quite comfortable driving in left-hand countries. I have a couple of reminders that let me sync back quickly: 1) the driver is always by the center of the road, and 2) look out of the driver's window before changing lanes. (Look both ways, of course, but the driver's side should be your last check.) They work in all countries.

It occurs to me that somebody might be foolish enough to take my post literally. So be warned. Drinking and driving in Europe is really a very bad thing and the police have little mercy. Enough said :).

Hank