Majestic princess Oz to Singapore cruise..

vanessa5076

Hi everyone

I'm looking at booking the above for 2020 for my husband's 50th but I'm a bit confused.

According to one agent we won't need to pay tips (as it's an Australia cruise) but another said we do. Can someone clarify?

Also what else do I need to bear in mind that's different to the US Princess (as a UK passenger)??

Thank you

:D

we are booked on this cruise 19 days sydney to singapore, folio is in aud $, tips are included in the fare, don't know if booking from overseas that gratuities get added each day to your folio, majestic was marketed to the chinese market theres being a lot of talk about weather it will be changed in anyway to cater for the aussie market nobody knows yet will find out more in 12 days when it leaves shanghai for sydney.

Hi Martin

We may well see you on-board ;-) i don't mind either way tips wise but just trying to budget what we need. I'll keep an eye on the forum in the next few weeks to be sure.

We are tieing this in with a couple of days in Sydney and a couple of days in either Dubai or Hong Kong flights permitting.

If you book though an Australian online TA your tips will be included in the fare, no more to pay.

It might be worth comparing prices.

Passengers from North America that I have spoken to onboard have indicated on cruises leaving from Australia that they have had tips added where we have not.

I assume that they would add tips onto your daily account if the cruise is booked in the UK.

As far as I know and contrary to popular belief, tips are NOT included in Australian cruise fares. The difference between booking in Australia and the rest of the world, is that daily gratuities are not automatically added.

So basically, Australian cruisers who book in Australia have to additionally add the daily gratuities, while for the rest of the world it’s automatically added and have to opt out or remove it if they don’t want to pay it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As far as I know and contrary to popular belief, tips are NOT included in Australian cruise fares. The difference between booking in Australia and the rest of the world, is that daily gratuities are not automatically added.

So basically, Australian cruisers who book in Australia have to additionally add the daily gratuities, while for the rest of the world it’s automatically added and have to opt out or remove it if they don’t want to pay it.

who told you that???

who told you that???

Princess.

Also if you look at your Cruise Personaliser, in the payment section (if booked in Australia), you will see that you have the option to add gratuities.

541cd68df984362540a15962a6559305.jpg

Boy - people need to get this sorted out - there is a lot of miss information. Regarding gratuities. There are no added gratuities for AUSTRALIANS booking in AUSTRALIA on cruises starting AND finishing in AUSTRALIA. The actual quoted fares reflect this matter. Keep in mind it only relates to cruises ROUND TRIP AUSTRALIA . I say again - starting AND finishing in AUSTRALIA. If it starts in Australia and finishes overseas Australians pay the daily gratuity like anyone else does overseas.

Princess.

Also if you look at your Cruise Personaliser, in the payment section (if booked in Australia), you will see that you have the option to add gratuities.

541cd68df984362540a15962a6559305.jpg

May I ask where your cruise departs and returns too?

Boy - people need to get this sorted out - there is a lot of miss information. Regarding gratuities. There are no added gratuities for AUSTRALIANS booking in AUSTRALIA on cruises starting AND finishing in AUSTRALIA. The actual quoted fares reflect this matter. Keep in mind it only relates to cruises ROUND TRIP AUSTRALIA . I say again - starting AND finishing in AUSTRALIA. If it starts in Australia and finishes overseas Australians pay the daily gratuity like anyone else does overseas.

This is wrong also......if the ship is under Princess Australia, leaving or arriving Australia gratuities are included. My Majestic cruise next week is staring in Shanghai, ending in Sydney, grats included and AUD onboard.

Doesnt have to be a ROUND TRIP.

Could someone explain for my education only what is tipping difference between US, Canada, UK, and Australia not referring to this cruise but in general? Is tipping not customary or some other countries? I am from US and know it is here and in Canada. I have been in UK many times and seems to be there but maybe I’m wrong. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could someone explain for my education only what is tipping difference between US, Canada, UK, and Australia not referring to this cruise but in general? Is tipping not customary or some other countries? I am from US and know it is here and in Canada. I have been in UK many times and seems to be there but maybe I’m wrong. Mike

Tipping is not common or expected in a number of countries from the UK to Australia to China.

However, when they see American tourists coming, they will often expect Americans to tip even though the locals are not expected to.

Totally agree here with Cheznandy.

I did a repositioning cruise on Diamond from Singapore to Sydney in 2014 and grats included and AUD on board.

Same happens when ships leave Australia for repositioning. ( for us Australians who live and book in Australia)

Thanks so much for the explanation. It explains a puzzling comment, until now, I have heard in a variety of forms I have heard on boarding and going by customer service desk with huge lines. When inquiring the response is “the

Australians removing tips”. I lived in Europe for years and so am familiar with their customs and realized we especially in US are “spoiling” it for many countries. At a cruise critic MG hotel manager was asked why tips were just not included in cruise price and the response was we couldn’t have lower sticker price than comparable lines

If we did that according to head office. Mike

For US employees consider them rightly part of inadequate wage in certain service professions. The standard was 10-15% of total but about 20 years ago seemed to have gone to 15-20%. I wish they would be eliminated and they be paid a decent wage

At a cruise critic MG hotel manager was asked why tips were just not included in cruise price and the response was we couldn’t have lower sticker price than comparable lines If we did that according to head office.

Several years ago they tried posting prices with all taxes and fees included using the tagline "What you see is what you pay!"

This lasted about a month as obviously the prices being shown were higher than the competition which did not include all taxes and fees in their pricing that was displayed.

This is definitely NOT correct! I agree with CheznAndy and Thorpe. I am on Majestic departing Sydney and finishing Singapore. The cruise is in Australian dollars and gratuities are included and NOT deducted daily. The option is still there for anyone to tip individually if they wish.