15 day Panama Canal

SusieS

Hi all- We are going on the Coral, 15 day Panama Canal Cruise this Dec. In Fuerte Amador, Panama, would you recommend the Panama Canal Locks & Transit by Boat excursion, or the Authentic Embera Indian Village excursion? Thanks!

About 10 years ago we went on the Embera Indian Village excursion. It was quite the adventure. One of the best Princess excursions we have been on.

Thanks, Paul. So hard to decide! We’ll just have to do this trip twice!!

Since you are on a full transit cruise, it is up to you to decide if you need to see the canal from both the ship and a small boat. Are you sailing eastbound or westbound? If eastbound the small boat cruise from Fuerte Amador will be before the full transit on Coral and would likely result in a feeling of deja vu that next day on the ship. (Well I think it would for me anyway).

Since you are on a full transit cruise, it is up to you to decide if you need to see the canal from both the ship and a small boat. Are you sailing eastbound or westbound? If eastbound the small boat cruise from Fuerte Amador will be before the full transit on Coral and would likely result in a feeling of deja vu that next day on the ship. (Well I think it would for me anyway).

We will be going Ft Lauderdale to LA.....

Hi all- We are going on the Coral, 15 day Panama Canal Cruise this Dec. In Fuerte Amador, Panama, would you recommend the Panama Canal Locks & Transit by Boat excursion, or the Authentic Embera Indian Village excursion? Thanks!

Embera Village. We did it and it was enjoyable. Bring suitable foot wear your feet may get wet. The Embera live in a rain forest.

During your full transit you will experience the entire canal with some narration. No need to repeat it on a smaller boat.

I've not done the Embera VIllage. But I have gone through thelocks on the Pacific side up to Gamboa in a small boat. It was absolutely amazing. You get a totally different perspective vs. going through it on the cruise ship. I would definitely recommend this over what I have heard is a"Disneyland" type village with everything staged.

If you do a private tour to an Embera Village, it may be to a totally different place than a "staged" Princess one (according to what I've read on these boards--haven't done the Princess one.) We did a private tour several years ago & it was great, though it took a while to reach the village, first by bus to a embarkation point & then a fairly long canoe ride. Loved the experience!