Summit—VEGAN food options

jayi6707

When you board, see the M d' to alert the chef... No need to worry, needlessly.

Also, you may want to do a search on this forum for 'vegan' to read what others have experienced.

bon voyage

• 7 months later...

Hi Jay!

I found this thread by searching. I'm on the Summit in October and 90% vegan these days.

I was hoping you might have some tips on best vegan dishes you had onboard, and how you ordered in the buffet, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Just wondering whether anyone is a vegan and had an easy time finding different food options. A little worried. Traveling on the Summit in July. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I am not on a ship i eat vegan (10 years vegetarian, 7 years vegan), and generally don't stray much while on board, with cheating being more my own fault--too much easy access to chocolate goodies-- than lack of something edible near by!!

There is actually a specific vegetarian menu available in the MDR. It provides far more options than appear on the regular menu and it changes daily, but you might well have to ask for it. I was on two trips, sticking with the few choices on the general menu,(not unhappily) before a waiter mentioned that it existed! They make some really good stuff-- even when in Luminae (where it's easier to get customized stuff) I'll from time to time order off the MDR Veg menu.

With that said,as has been mentioned already,let them know that you're vegan and they will do what they can to accommodate because many of the menu items do have milk/eggs.

At the buffet, in addition to all the fruits and veggies, there's always at least 1, usually 2, Indian dishes that are quite tasty, generally a big pot of lentils and another of veggies of one sort or another.

Have a great trip!

Hi Jay!

I found this thread by searching. I'm on the Summit in October and 90% vegan these days.

I was hoping you might have some tips on best vegan dishes you had onboard, and how you ordered in the buffet, etc.

Thanks in advance!

There are several approaches you can take...

1) make sure you complete the special services request before boarding;

2) upon boarding, let the maitre d' know by visiting before dinner time;

3) you can either let the chef do their thing (letting them know in advance);

4) get the next nights menu and order from there...

On my recent sailing on Summit, eggplant seemed to be the special. By night three (3) I said anything but eggplant... LOL

Upon returning home, our neighbours who sailed with us had a dinner where they promptly served eggplant! It was a laugh.

bon appetite and bon voyage

There are several approaches you can take...

1) make sure you complete the special services request before boarding;

2) upon boarding, let the maitre d' know by visiting before dinner time;

3) you can either let the chef do their thing (letting them know in advance);

4) get the next nights menu and order from there...

On my recent sailing on Summit, eggplant seemed to be the special. By night three (3) I said anything but eggplant... LOL

Upon returning home, our neighbours who sailed with us had a dinner where they promptly served eggplant! It was a laugh.

bon appetite and bon voyage

Perhaps they could have served you “Aubergine” (dressed up the name a little bit) - LOL! ;)

Kidding aside, I do find Celebrity most accommodating. Our “best” meals ever were on the Summit in Luminae, when Chef Abinash offered to cook us his Indian Cuisine. I hesitated at first to take him up on his offer (a bit shy about special requests), but by mid-cruise, accepted and it was the WOW factor. Next time, if offered - I will gladly accept right from the get go.

Heather

We are just of the Constellation, and my daughters are vegetarians and BF isn't vegan.

There is a special menu, which they choose from, and also they found the pizza place made them vegan pizza daily..

They said the choices were very good and were never hungry.

Also there is the pasta bar and a stir fry bar at the buffet.

..and lastly, they do have soy milk !

We just got off the Summit and every dinner menu had one entree that was vegetarian and there were a few appetizer options that were vegetarian. In the buffet, there were plenty of vegan options.

Vegan is not the same as vegetarian.

We know a family of three strict vegans and one not so strict. On a recent cruise, the strict vegans had a very hard time. nearly all of The cakes, pastries, breads, etc contained milk, eggs and/or butter; therfore, not acceptable to a strict vegan. Pizza dough is fine, but not the cheese (vegan cheese exists and might be available if prearranged). Those terrific Indian dishes at the buffet? Nearly all contain ghee which is not acceptable to a strict vegan.

Like I said - the guy who was flexible was fine. He ate mostly a lacto -vegetarian diet, just as he does at business luncheons. The other three were pretty miserable, eating ceaseless vegetable pizza, salads with oil/vinegar dressing

Edited by jkgourmet

Perhaps they could have served you “Aubergine” (dressed up the name a little bit) - LOL! ;)

Kidding aside, I do find Celebrity most accommodating. Our “best” meals ever were on the Summit in Luminae, when Chef Abinash offered to cook us his Indian Cuisine. I hesitated at first to take him up on his offer (a bit shy about special requests), but by mid-cruise, accepted and it was the WOW factor. Next time, if offered - I will gladly accept right from the get go.

Heather

LOL, a rose is a rose is a rose, even by any other name! Only the aroma may change from type to type...

I did order up the Indian Feast one night and it was delightful and delicious!

bon voyage

correction from above . . .

We just got off the Summit and every dinner menu had one entree that was vegetarian and there were a few appetizer options that were vegetarian. In the buffet, there were plenty of vegan options.

We know a family of three strict vegans and one not so strict. On a recent cruise, the strict vegans had a very hard time. nearly all of The cakes, pastries, breads, etc contained milk, eggs and/or butter; therfore, not acceptable to a strict vegan. Pizza dough is fine, but not the cheese (vegan cheese exists and might be available if prearranged). Those terrific Indian dishes at the buffet? Nearly all contain ghee which is not acceptable to a strict vegan. Chicken or beef broth was in the soups.

Like I said - the guy who was flexible was fine. He ate mostly a lacto -vegetarian diet, just as he does at business luncheons. The other three were pretty miserable, eating cheeseless vegetable pizza, salads with oil/vinegar dressing, fruit, vegetables prepared without butter and some stuff from the area with yogurt add ons (nuts, etc).

correction from above . . .

We know a family of three strict vegans and one not so strict. On a recent cruise, the strict vegans had a very hard time. nearly all of The cakes, pastries, breads, etc contained milk, eggs and/or butter; therfore, not acceptable to a strict vegan. Pizza dough is fine, but not the cheese (vegan cheese exists and might be available if prearranged). Those terrific Indian dishes at the buffet? Nearly all contain ghee which is not acceptable to a strict vegan. Chicken or beef broth was in the soups.

Like I said - the guy who was flexible was fine. He ate mostly a lacto -vegetarian diet, just as he does at business luncheons. The other three were pretty miserable, eating cheeseless vegetable pizza, salads with oil/vinegar dressing, fruit, vegetables prepared without butter and some stuff from the area with yogurt add ons (nuts, etc).

My wife is Vegan - strict. When we would have lunch at the buffet, she would have a Chef walk around and show her every dish that was vegan as you can't tell from looking at it. Some of the pasta at the pasta bar is vegan - some is not.

We love Celebrity but meals have always been a real challenge. We do the ordering the night before with the Maitre' D but so much depends on who you get. Often they act as no more that order takers. And as you say, dessert has been almost non-existent (other than sorbet).

We had a completely different experience a couple weeks ago on the Silhouette. Our Maitre' D Regan went above and beyond. When there was nothing appealing on the regular vegetarian menu that could be made vegan - he worked with the chef and made up his own dishes. Almost every one was a hit.

The other thing he promised on night one was that she would get a real dessert every night of our 14 night cruise - and boy did he deliver! In fact, a couple nights our table neighbors (with whom we became friendly) asked if there was any more of the vegan dessert as it looked so good.

It was her best Celebrity food experience - by far - as the bar had previously been set very low. The only problem now is whether we'll be able to reach that bar again....

Just goes to show you how much of a difference your Maitre' D can make - if they are willing to.

Mike