Just back from London

Giantfan13

WE finally got back home after 3 weeks on the road, with a 7 day stay in London, a 12 day cruise, and a quick day in Paris.

I do want to extend a hearty thank you to all who spent time answering my many questions. Believe me, you all made my trip so much easier. I had so much info printed out, and for the most part, it helped immensely.

We spent a couple of pre cruise days in London before our cruise, bought a travel card at the rail station, used it and a few vouchers for BOGOF at Tower of London, Tower Bridge Experience, Globe Theater tour and City Line boat cruise from the London eye, back to the Tower bridge. That worked great.

We used the National Express Bus to get us to Dover and Back, and for the 5 pounds a person price, it was the best bargain we had. It was an easy ride, and going, the bus took us directly to the cruise terminal.

Post cruise, we bought an Oyster card, and just loved the way it is used. We loved the Tube and it is so easy to use, and almost impossible to get lost as they have every station each line is going to right in front of you most of the time. We did use Black cabs several times to get us places with our luggage, and we used Simply airports to get us from and too the airport to and from our hotel. They were punctual and much cheaper than Dot2Dot and any taxi. You have to pay in cash though.

We did a one day outing to Windsor, Bath and Stonehenge,and it was on the Friday of the holiday weekend, so the roads were packed, but we persevered. We also did the Euro star to Paris for the day. A real lot of running around, but well worth it, as we did see most of what we wanted in Paris.

All in all, just a great trip, spent plenty of money, but have memories to last a lifetime.

If I started to thank everyone who helped us, I'm sure I would leave some one out, but you all know who you are, and I do thank you dearly. As said, your help has been invaluable.

If I can return any help to others, it would be my pleasure, and I know what the unknown can be like.

Len

We used the National Express Bus to get us to Dover and Back, and for the 5 pounds a person price, it was the best bargain we had. It was an easy ride, and going, the bus took us directly to the cruise terminal.

Why did the coach take you to the cruise terminal as the bus station is in Dover town? Did you ask or did the driver do it himself? Just handy to know for future reference. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Simon

I think I've seen it mentioned before that some National Express drivers have been known to make a detour to the dock if they have a number of cruise ship passengers on board and they have time to do it - both in Dover and at Southampton. But this doesn't seem to be something that's promised.

The only passengers on the bus when we arrived in Dover were people going to the cruise terminal. The driver asked if we wanted to go there, and, of course, all said 'aye'.

Is there a reason why they don't include this as a last stop??> I mentioned that to some one and they replied that the taxi drivers would up and protest, is that the reason??

we used Simply airports to get us from and too the airport to and from our hotel. They were punctual and much cheaper than Dot2Dot and any taxi. You have to pay in cash though.

Len

Len,

Did you fly into Heathrow? We will be staying in London after our Greek Isle / Egypt cruise. Arriving Thursday afternoon 22nd October, and leaving on Saturday afternoon the 24th.

Can you please supply me with some info. on Simply Airports. (Pricing, contact info. etc) How long will it take to get from Heathrow to central London? We are staying at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. Is there anything that we must see, and what is the best way to cram as much as we can into the short time that we are there. We will have our 11 year old grandaugher with us, so I am guessing that we will be paying a visit to the London Eye.

Brenda

I think I've seen it mentioned before that some National Express drivers have been known to make a detour to the dock if they have a number of cruise ship passengers on board and they have time to do it - both in Dover and at Southampton. But this doesn't seem to be something that's promised.

I've always found the National Express drivers to be helpful. Easier for me to ride a bus than a train most of the time. I've often been dropped somewhere other than the bus terminal if I mentioned where I was actually going to the driver.

This may be in part due to the fact that I travel with very little luggage and he can drop me off quickly.

Len,

Did you fly into Heathrow? We will be staying in London after our Greek Isle / Egypt cruise. Arriving Thursday afternoon 22nd October, and leaving on Saturday afternoon the 24th.

Can you please supply me with some info. on Simply Airports. (Pricing, contact info. etc) How long will it take to get from Heathrow to central London? We are staying at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. Is there anything that we must see, and what is the best way to cram as much as we can into the short time that we are there. We will have our 11 year old grandaugher with us, so I am guessing that we will be paying a visit to the London Eye.

Brenda

Simply airports http://www.simplyairports.co.uk/ They are a car service with flat rates, no meters. Te;; them where youw ant to go, how many people and you get a rate.

I found then thru some one's recomendation here on CC, and the were fine. Their prices were way below a Taxi and cheaper than Dot2Dot. We had loads of luggage, and when we set up the reservation, we told them 2 people with about 5 bags,and they set up a car or mini van for our needs. We stayed at the Hilton Tower Bridge pre cruise and it was 28 pounds, and post cruise we sayed at the Sheriden Park Lane, and the cost was the same back to Heathrow. We did call to confirm the resevation, and they were as prompt as anything. You have to pay in cash though, since we had pounds, we used that.

As far as cheap hotels, we didn't stay in any, put we redeemed every point we have been saving for the past few years to stay at the places we did. If you want cheap places try the Travelodges. They are all over London, and they are very reasonable. Small rooms, no amenities, but clean and well placed.

Len glad you are on this site too. We are doing a post cruise tour of London. We are out of Harwich and will be staying near Heathrow airport for our 2 days. Can't wait to see what you can help us all with. Thanks in advance.

I'll do my best. The people here are great, and I would love nothing more than to give back to this site, as I took so much from it.

We are doing a post cruise tour of London. We are out of Harwich and will be staying near Heathrow airport for our 2 days.
If you're staying in London for two nights post-cruise, why are you staying near Heathrow? You will waste a lot of good sightseeing time just hauling into town and back again - and have to leave town relatively early in the evening to get back to your hotel.

>" Is there anything that we must see, and what is the best way to cram as much as we can into the short time that we are there. We will have our 11 year old grandaugher with us, so I am guessing that we will be paying a visit to the London Eye."

First off I think a trip on the HOHO bus is in order. Gives you the lay of the land. Certainly the London Eye is great, also the Tower of London and Buckingham Palace.* Walk across the Millenium Bridge to the Globe Theater, since she will, at some time, study Shakespeare.

*If she's a good reader and likes mysteries, 'Murder at Buckingham Palace' by CC Bennison (in pb) is lots of fun to make the palace more of a 'home'.

Hamley's Toy Store is lots of fun, but hard to resist if buying a souvenier is not in your agenda. I am sure others can suggest some reading books to make what she (and you) see in London before you go.

Not sure if 'Carrie's War' will still be on in the West End. It's a story about children who were evacuated to Wales from London during the war. It's a children's book and my matinee was crowded with young pre-teens.

>" Is there anything that we must see, and what is the best way to cram as much as we can into the short time that we are there. We will have our 11 year old grandaugher with us, so I am guessing that we will be paying a visit to the London Eye."

First off I think a trip on the HOHO bus is in order. Gives you the lay of the land. Certainly the London Eye is great, also the Tower of London and Buckingham Palace.* Walk across the Millenium Bridge to the Globe Theater, since she will, at some time, study Shakespeare.

*If she's a good reader and likes mysteries, 'Murder at Buckingham Palace' by CC Bennison (in pb) is lots of fun to make the palace more of a 'home'.

Hamley's Toy Store is lots of fun, but hard to resist if buying a souvenier is not in your agenda. I am sure others can suggest some reading books to make what she (and you) see in London before you go.

Not sure if 'Carrie's War' will still be on in the West End. It's a story about children who were evacuated to Wales from London during the war. It's a children's book and my matinee was crowded with young pre-teens.

Thank You, this has been a great help...I will do some research on the locations, and opening and closing times.

Brenda

• 2 weeks later...

LondonWalks are an excellent and fun way to get to know London in a short space of time. They have very cleverly planned, short, intensive walking tours with allsorts of themes covered. Many of the guides are published authors and even though I have lived in London for 20 years I still do these walks from time to time, for the fun and information.

http://www.walks.com/

If you have a few days in London I suggest you do the walk of your choice. The Jack The Ripper Walk is very popular with American tourists :)

Simply airports http://www.simplyairports.co.uk/ They are a car service with flat rates, no meters. Te;; them where youw ant to go, how many people and you get a rate.

I found then thru some one's recomendation here on CC, and the were fine. Their prices were way below a Taxi and cheaper than Dot2Dot. We had loads of luggage, and when we set up the reservation, we told them 2 people with about 5 bags,and they set up a car or mini van for our needs. We stayed at the Hilton Tower Bridge pre cruise and it was 28 pounds, and post cruise we sayed at the Sheriden Park Lane, and the cost was the same back to Heathrow. We did call to confirm the resevation, and they were as prompt as anything. You have to pay in cash though, since we had pounds, we used that.

Glad you had such a great trip! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Did Simply Airports charge you 28 pounds to pick you up at Heathrow plus the 6 pound fee? ( or was that included already?) Usually the trip from the airport is more than the trip from hotel to LHR. You found them reliable and pleasant to deal with?

Also, noticed you stayed at the Hilton Tower Bridge- how did you like it? Did you eat any meals in the hotel? Good location?

Thanks.

We used the National Express Bus to get us to Dover and Back, and for the 5 pounds a person price, it was the best bargain we had. It was an easy ride, and going, the bus took us directly to the cruise terminal

Len

Did you take the National Express Bus from Victoria Coach Station to Dover?

Do you remember how far in advance you were able to get the 5 GPB price?

What Dover stop did you put down, there seems to be a couple listed, Dover Hoverport, Dover Ferry Port, Dover cruise terminal. I don't know if it makes any difference (other than time), is there more than 1 bus going to Dover

How did you fine the drive, were you able to see anything as you drove by?

Glad you had such a great trip! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Did Simply Airports charge you 28 pounds to pick you up at Heathrow plus the 6 pound fee? ( or was that included already?) Usually the trip from the airport is more than the trip from hotel to LHR. You found them reliable and pleasant to deal with?

Also, noticed you stayed at the Hilton Tower Bridge- how did you like it? Did you eat any meals in the hotel? Good location?

Thanks.

I found them very reliable and easy to deal with. they gave me a confirmation number which I called the night before to confirm my reservation. It really wasn't necessary, but I like to be sure of things. To be honest, I don't know what this 6 pound fee is that you mentioned. We were quoted a fee of 28 pound, to be paid in cash, and that's what it was.

We liked the Hilton very much. We used points that we had saved for eyars for this room. The location was great in that we wanted to see the Tower of London, Tower Bridge and then we walked to the London Eye and Big Ben, and took the Thames River cruise back to Tower Bridge. So it all worked out very well. And no, I'm sorry to say, we did not eat in the hotel. They did secure us a Black cab to take us to Victoria to catch the bus to Dover. I was told that they would probably use car services which would be much more expensive, but they did not.

We used the National Express Bus to get us to Dover and Back, and for the 5 pounds a person price, it was the best bargain we had. It was an easy ride, and going, the bus took us directly to the cruise terminal

Len

Did you take the National Express Bus from Victoria Coach Station to Dover?

Do you remember how far in advance you were able to get the 5 GPB price?

What Dover stop did you put down, there seems to be a couple listed, Dover Hoverport, Dover Ferry Port, Dover cruise terminal. I don't know if it makes any difference (other than time), is there more than 1 bus going to Dover

How did you fine the drive, were you able to see anything as you drove by?

Yes, we took the bus from Victoria Coach Station to Dover

It had to be about 2-3 months. As soon as we could book with the Fun Fares, we did it. We had some great help from some of the locals as to which way to go, but from all of that, the train, a car service or the National Express, this is what worked out best for us, and it turned out very well.

We entered Dover Cruise Terminal. I think something comes up telling you that the bus doesn't go there and it instead put down Dover Priory or something like that. It was just luck that the driver offered to take us to the terminal. If you are let off in Dover itself, it is just a short Taxi ride to the terminal.

We found the ride pretty enjoyable. I love driving and even better when I am able to just enjoy the scenery. At one point the ride goes thru Canterbury, which is a wonderful little town. It takes about 1/2 hour or more just to get out of greater London, and it was nice to look out and see what the area has to offer. Plus, the excitement of going on a crusie in a few hours just makes the trip that much more enjoyable.

It is NOT a bad ride, bus was very comfortable.

G-

How was the Hiltons' location in relation to the closest Tube station? DH and I are staying there in Nov and would like the option of walking to the Tube.

Thanks!

I'm hurt you haven't asked me Sarah!! London Bridge station is the other side of Tooley Street from your hotel. Access to Northern and Jubilee lines. Its about 100 yds from your hotel.

Simon

Archived