Cherbourg and Le Havre - advice please

BanburyBlue

Hi,

We've booked on a RCI cruise that calls at Cherbourg and Le Havre. We've never been to these ports before, so need some information about locality.

We're normally happy just to potter around on our own. So in terms of getting around, does anyone know where the cruise ships dock and how close this is to the town centres?

Many thanks

If I'm not mistaken, OP is a Brit.

(suggestion - add your location to your screen-header. Avoids well-meant but incorrect advice on a raft of things, from cruise booking terms, insurance, visas & currency exchange to "don't walk on the pavement" ;))

The cruise berth at Le Havre (Av Lucien Corbeaux) isn't convenient to the centre, it's a level but boring walk of 30 minutes or more.

And what I've seen of the centre isn't worth the effort.

Especially since ships' hours in Le Havre are long (check out ship's hours here), I suggest you spread your wings a bit.

For a laid-back day consider a shared taxi to Honfleur.

For a much more rewarding but much busier day consider

- touring the D-Day beaches & sights by tour van - pre-book very early or check your RollCall for sharing opportunities but be aware that tour-share offered by American cruise-mates will be geared to the American sector. Or visit by rented car - stax of cruisers do it and I can suggest an itinerary geared mainly to the British involvement..

- or the long drive to Mont St Michel

- or other places accessible by private tour or rented car - Monet's Garden and Rouen, or the Normandy coast or countryside

- or Paris. On a one-day visit from Le Havre you'll only get a flavour of the city but worth considering if this is your only opportunity to see Paris.

In Cherbourg I've only driven straight out of town from the ferry. The centre is very convenient to the cruise berth but much smaller than Le Havre.

There's a sea museum and aquarium (La cite de la Mer) adjacent the cruise berth, I haven't been in but it's quite highly rated.

If your ship is in Cherbourg for only half a day your choices are pretty-well limited to the town or a brief visit to one or two of the American D-Day sights - the first, Ste Mere-Eglise, is 30 minutes from the port.

If you have a full day consider.......

- the D-Day beaches and sights. Cherbourg is closer to the American sector. The Brit sector is about the same distance as from Le Havre but hours in port in Cherbourg will probably be shorter (again, check our ship's hours in port).

- Mont St Michel is a little closer from Cherbourg than from Le Havre (2hrs vs 2hrs 30 mins). By tour-share or rented car or ship's excursion, whichever you find easiest & best value. The drive is easy, even for those of us who normally drive on the correct side of the road, but quite boring. If the ship provides a guide it won't be long before you either shoot ahead or lag behind - and best explored by yourselves.

If Bayeux takes your fancy, by road it's about an hour & 10 from Cherbourg or 1hr 40 from Le Havre - and you can combine it with US or Brit D-Day sights. Bayeux is also possible by train from either port - check the SNCF website for which port suits best https://www.sncf.com/sncv1/en/passengers

JB :)

On our first trip to La Havre we went on an Overlord Tour that included the American Cemetery, Omaha Beach, Bayeux and Honfleur. We will be there again next year and plan to walk around town especially to see the impressionist art museum and eat at Cafe Paul. Lots to see and do. https://www.avidcruiser.com/port-profiles/europe/mediterranean/france/le-havre/

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/stuff-le-havre-france-59659.html

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/may/14/le-havre-concrete-modern-architecture-500th-city-anniversary

Hi,

We've booked on a RCI cruise that calls at Cherbourg and Le Havre. We've never been to these ports before, so need some information about locality.

We're normally happy just to potter around on our own. So in terms of getting around, does anyone know where the cruise ships dock and how close this is to the town centres?

Many thanks

We were on a HAL cruise in June that stopped at both these ports. In Le Havre we decided to have an easy day since our cruise was very port intensive. We walked into the city centre which was about a 20-30 minute walk and very easy to do. We had reserved in advance round-trip transportation to Honfleur with BeeLeHavre. We spent an enjoyable afternoon in Honfleur and BeeLeHavre returned us to the cruise port where we spent the rest of the afternoon chilling by the pool which was not crowded due to a lot of people still on excursions, etc. It was a very enjoyable day.

HAL provided a shuttle for a fee which you could purchase which dropped off cruisers at the city center as well as a second stop at a shopping mall at another location in LeHavre. There were taxis available at the port as well.

In Cherbourg we had arranged for a private tour of the D-Day beaches. If we had not done the tour, we were planning on doing the museum that has a submarine you can visit which is next to the port and just walking into town afterwards to get a little local flavor. Our research showed it was easy to get to the city centre from the port.

Enjoy your cruise!

JB, I do not recall any of the local Cherbourg drinking venues having Guinness Draught! Accordingly, this is a town not worthy of exploring :).

Hank

Oh dear, Hank. :(

Still not cured of your addiction to the black stuff? :confused:

In Cherbourg, try Calvados. :)

And if it's the genuine farmyard stuff it'll cure you of addiction to all alcohol :eek:

JB :D

Oh dear, Hank. :(

Still not cured of your addiction to the black stuff? :confused:

In Cherbourg, try Calvados. :)

And if it's the genuine farmyard stuff it'll cure you of addiction to all alcohol :eek:

JB :D

Calvados? I once tried that mixed with Ginger Beer and it was a decent combination. Now you have me wondering about Calvados mixed with Guinness. Yumm. But of course you can't do this in Cherbourg since there is no Guinness :).

Hank

Thanks all.

To be honest, being our first time in Le Havre, we are happy to potter around.

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle bus in Le Havre from the terminal to the City Centre?

As I mentioned in my previous post #5, when we were there in June there was a shuttle which took you to the city centre for a fee through the cruise line. I believe I read somewhere that the shuttle is run through the port and the cruise line. I would check with your ship excursion desk once on board to see if they are offering a shuttle to the city at this port.

Also, be aware if you are in port on Sunday that there is not much open in the city centre.

Thanks all.

Apologies Irish110 - missed the bit about the shuttle bus.

Based on many cruises (on different lines) into Le Havre, the availability of any kind of shuttle bus is hit or miss. And even if there is some kind of shuttle it might cost you as much as a taxi...depending on the cruise line. Having been to Le Havre, the city would not be our destination of choice. There are many other DIY options. If staying in the surrounding region we prefer to rent a car and drive on our own which gives us the ability to go to places like Honfleur, Deauville, Fecamp, Etratat, D-Day beaches, and even Rouen. If one prefers to use the trains then Rouen is a good option and even Paris is doable...although that is a very long day.

Hank

On our first trip to La Havre we went on an Overlord Tour that included the American Cemetery, Omaha Beach, Bayeux and Honfleur. We will be there again next year and plan to walk around town especially to see the impressionist art museum and eat at Cafe Paul. Lots to see and do. https://www.avidcruiser.com/port-profiles/europe/mediterranean/france/le-havre/

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/stuff-le-havre-france-59659.html

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/may/14/le-havre-concrete-modern-architecture-500th-city-anniversary

We are taking the same Overlord Tour this September. What did you think of the tour? How large was the group? How much time did you get in Honfleur?

If I'm not mistaken, OP is a Brit.

(suggestion - add your location to your screen-header. Avoids well-meant but incorrect advice on a raft of things, from cruise booking terms, insurance, visas & currency exchange to "don't walk on the pavement" ;))

The cruise berth at Le Havre (Av Lucien Corbeaux) isn't convenient to the centre, it's a level but boring walk of 30 minutes or more.

And what I've seen of the centre isn't worth the effort.

Especially since ships' hours in Le Havre are long (check out ship's hours here), I suggest you spread your wings a bit.

For a laid-back day consider a shared taxi to Honfleur.

For a much more rewarding but much busier day consider

- touring the D-Day beaches & sights by tour van - pre-book very early or check your RollCall for sharing opportunities but be aware that tour-share offered by American cruise-mates will be geared to the American sector. Or visit by rented car - stax of cruisers do it and I can suggest an itinerary geared mainly to the British involvement..

- or the long drive to Mont St Michel

- or other places accessible by private tour or rented car - Monet's Garden and Rouen, or the Normandy coast or countryside

- or Paris. On a one-day visit from Le Havre you'll only get a flavour of the city but worth considering if this is your only opportunity to see Paris.

In Cherbourg I've only driven straight out of town from the ferry. The centre is very convenient to the cruise berth but much smaller than Le Havre.

There's a sea museum and aquarium (La cite de la Mer) adjacent the cruise berth, I haven't been in but it's quite highly rated.

If your ship is in Cherbourg for only half a day your choices are pretty-well limited to the town or a brief visit to one or two of the American D-Day sights - the first, Ste Mere-Eglise, is 30 minutes from the port.

If you have a full day consider.......

- the D-Day beaches and sights. Cherbourg is closer to the American sector. The Brit sector is about the same distance as from Le Havre but hours in port in Cherbourg will probably be shorter (again, check our ship's hours in port).

- Mont St Michel is a little closer from Cherbourg than from Le Havre (2hrs vs 2hrs 30 mins). By tour-share or rented car or ship's excursion, whichever you find easiest & best value. The drive is easy, even for those of us who normally drive on the correct side of the road, but quite boring. If the ship provides a guide it won't be long before you either shoot ahead or lag behind - and best explored by yourselves.

If Bayeux takes your fancy, by road it's about an hour & 10 from Cherbourg or 1hr 40 from Le Havre - and you can combine it with US or Brit D-Day sights. Bayeux is also possible by train from either port - check the SNCF website for which port suits best https://www.sncf.com/sncv1/en/passengers

JB :)

Great post very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks all.

To be honest, being our first time in Le Havre, we are happy to potter around.

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle bus in Le Havre from the terminal to the City Centre?

Yes, there is a shuttle to take you to the centre for €4pp return, but it is a flat walk of about 25 mins.

Le Havre is far far better than people lead you to believe.

There is the most incredible art gallery with a fantastic collection of impressionist paintings - it is just opposite the multicoloured arch and well worth a visit.

Just past there is a beach if the weather is good

There is an amzing very modern cathedral with some amazing glass.

Keep walking past that and you get to a nice pedestrianised town centre with good array of shops and restaurants.

There is also a great park area (which I have not been to yet.

Great little port.

LB > founding member of the Le Havre is not as bad as everyone says it is Club

IMG_8509-M.jpg

IMG_8500-M.jpg

IMG_8512-M.jpg

http://www.muma-lehavre.fr/en is the site for the museum

Yes, there is a shuttle to take you to the centre for €4pp return, but it is a flat walk of about 25 mins.

Le Havre is far far better than people lead you to believe.

There is the most incredible art gallery with a fantastic collection of impressionist paintings - it is just opposite the multicoloured arch and well worth a visit.

Just past there is a beach if the weather is good

There is an amzing very modern cathedral with some amazing glass.

Keep walking past that and you get to a nice pedestrianised town centre with good array of shops and restaurants.

There is also a great park area (which I have not been to yet.

Great little port.

LB > founding member of the Le Havre is not as bad as everyone says it is Club

IMG_8509-M.jpg

IMG_8500-M.jpg

IMG_8512-M.jpg

http://www.muma-lehavre.fr/en is the site for the museum

Great thanks - looks promising