Upgrading After Final Payment Issue

I have an OV Balcony booked on Radiance next month (category 6D). I checked the RC website for available cabins for the heck of it earlier today and noticed that suddenly a bunch of Spacious OV Balconies (category 1B) were available and the price was quite a bit lower than what I paid. I knew that I wasn't entitled to any type of price adjustment or refund since it was after final payment but I was under the impression that I could upgrade (for free) since there were now better cabins available at a lower price.

So I called to verify all that and after initially being told I wad correct, I was put on hold for a bit. When the rep came back he apologized and told me that the price I saw online was part of a Going, Going, Gone sale and only available to new bookings. Because of this, he said I was not eligible for the upgrade b/c MY price for that new 1B cabin was actually much much higher. He told me I should be able to see where it says it's part of such a sale and when I told him I couldn't and asked him to show me where to find that info, he couldn't either. He even mentioned how odd this was and that he hadn't seen a Going, Going, Gone sale in like a year.

I understand the logic of last minute sales and have taken advantage of them a few times myself over the years since I live an hour from Port Canaveral and DW and I are extremely flexible during the Summer. That said, this still left me slightly bothered. After asking if he was sure this was the case and there was nothing that could be done, he put me on hold for quite a while to contact a supervisor before coming back and repeating that there was nothing they could offer me.

It is what it is and this trip is very much about the destination rather than the ship/cabin, unlike when we sail to the Caribbean where we've been numerous times, so the cabin isn't going to affect much. That said, the cabin I found today definitely has some benefits over our current one so I wanted to run this situation by the board to see if any of the more experienced cruisers had come across something like it before and/or if it sounded reasonable to them.

Any thoughts?

I have an OV Balcony booked on Radiance next month (category 6D). I checked the RC website for available cabins for the heck of it earlier today and noticed that suddenly a bunch of Spacious OV Balconies (category 1B) were available and the price was quite a bit lower than what I paid. I knew that I wasn't entitled to any type of price adjustment or refund since it was after final payment but I was under the impression that I could upgrade (for free) since there were now better cabins available at a lower price.

So I called to verify all that and after initially being told I wad correct, I was put on hold for a bit. When the rep came back he apologized and told me that the price I saw online was part of a Going, Going, Gone sale and only available to new bookings. Because of this, he said I was not eligible for the upgrade b/c MY price for that new 1B cabin was actually much much higher. He told me I should be able to see where it says it's part of such a sale and when I told him I couldn't and asked him to show me where to find that info, he couldn't either. He even mentioned how odd this was and that he hadn't seen a Going, Going, Gone sale in like a year.

I understand the logic of last minute sales and have taken advantage of them a few times myself over the years since I live an hour from Port Canaveral and DW and I are extremely flexible during the Summer. That said, this still left me slightly bothered. After asking if he was sure this was the case and there was nothing that could be done, he put me on hold for quite a while to contact a supervisor before coming back and repeating that there was nothing they could offer me.

It is what it is and this trip is very much about the destination rather than the ship/cabin, unlike when we sail to the Caribbean where we've been numerous times, so the cabin isn't going to affect much. That said, the cabin I found today definitely has some benefits over our current one so I wanted to run this situation by the board to see if any of the more experienced cruisers had come across something like it before and/or if it sounded reasonable to them.

Any thoughts?

Yes, that cruise is on sale through Wednesday. If you see on Thursday that the price is what you are hoping for, call back

Yes it is common for them to not allow you to upgrade if the sailing is on the weekly GGG flyer. There are several Radiance sailings on that flyer. In the past if it was still available after the sale ended then they would let you do it. Here's the flyer

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

Thanks for the quick responses. I figured some of the experts would have that info. :)

It's in my post above. If you bookmark it it usually updates every Thursday evening for the sale that starts the following Monday Here it is again

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

However if they still have enough cabins left, they offen will offer that Going, Going, Gone price to everyone starting Thursday, so check pricing again then.

Some sales (like the Going, Going, Gone) are for new bookings only.

It's in my post above. If you bookmark it it usually updates every Thursday evening for the sale that starts the following Monday Here it is again

Thanks again, I missed it the first time then edited my post too late.

Mike if the price is still the same try again today. Good luck

Thanks, that was nice of you to remember me and this thread, but I checked as soon as I woke up. Sadly it went up by $1400pp! It would have been nice but we're not "cabin people" so it's not a big deal. We actually prefer inside cabins in the Caribbean since we've been there so many times and barely use our balcony when we have one. We only have a balcony on this trip b/c it's our first to Alaska and I'm sure we'll enjoy scenery just the same. Plus, given how much I tend to eat on cruises, having to walk a bit from the aft to the center stairs/elevators is probably a good thing.

I'll keep checking for the heck of it but it's truly not a big deal. At this point, I'm more concerned about surviving a jam packed 10 days on land traveling across 5 cities before we even get on the boat. :)

Thanks, that was nice of you to remember me and this thread, but I checked as soon as I woke up. Sadly it went up by $1400pp! It would have been nice but we're not "cabin people" so it's not a big deal. We actually prefer inside cabins in the Caribbean since we've been there so many times and barely use our balcony when we have one. We only have a balcony on this trip b/c it's our first to Alaska and I'm sure we'll enjoy scenery just the same. Plus, given how much I tend to eat on cruises, having to walk a bit from the aft to the center stairs/elevators is probably a good thing.

I'll keep checking for the heck of it but it's truly not a big deal. At this point, I'm more concerned about surviving a jam packed 10 days on land traveling across 5 cities before we even get on the boat. :)

It will be great. We took an Alaska cruise many years ago and did not do a land portion which I regret now. Can't get DH on a plane anymore so no do overs

This happened to me last month with a Crown Loft Suite, it was priced similarly to the Junior Suite I had paid off. My first two calls (1 hour apart from each) had the same answer. It was part of a sale for new bookings. On my third call, I was able to book it. I guess it depends on the agent.

This happened to me last month with a Crown Loft Suite, it was priced similarly to the Junior Suite I had paid off. My first two calls (1 hour apart from each) had the same answer. It was part of a sale for new bookings. On my third call, I was able to book it. I guess it depends on the agent.

Was your 3rd call a different day?

It will be great. We took an Alaska cruise many years ago and did not do a land portion which I regret now. Can't get DH on a plane anymore so no do overs

Sorry to hear about the regrets and situation but some stuff like that just can't be avoided in life. We all have regrets, we just have to try not to focus on them but rather enjoy the present/future.

This trip was all my wife's doing. It began as a 6-day RC pre-tour and as my wife put in endless hours of research morphed into a 10-day DIY with much assistance from an outside company that helped with everything from hotels to train tickets to activity and restaurant recommendations. I'm not adventurous enough for this kind of thing to be honest but between my wife and this company (which I've already gotten reprimanded for naming in the Alaska forum), I'm more comfortable and have mostly made peace with it... and then of course pitched in with some of the finer details and all things ship-related. Can't say I've totally made peace with the cost (which has increased substantially from the original version) but I'm trying to take my earlier advice and enjoy the present. Also, we both turned 40 in the past 8 months so one rationalization is that this is a 40th b-day present to ourselves... or perhaps a mid-life crisis. :D

Sorry to hear about the regrets and situation but some stuff like that just can't be avoided in life. We all have regrets, we just have to try not to focus on them but rather enjoy the present/future.

This trip was all my wife's doing. It began as a 6-day RC pre-tour and as my wife put in endless hours of research morphed into a 10-day DIY with much assistance from an outside company that helped with everything from hotels to train tickets to activity and restaurant recommendations. I'm not adventurous enough for this kind of thing to be honest but between my wife and this company (which I've already gotten reprimanded for naming in the Alaska forum), I'm more comfortable and have mostly made peace with it... and then of course pitched in with some of the finer details and all things ship-related. Can't say I've totally made peace with the cost (which has increased substantially from the original version) but I'm trying to take my earlier advice and enjoy the present. Also, we both turned 40 in the past 8 months so one rationalization is that this is a 40th b-day present to ourselves... or perhaps a mid-life crisis. :D

Sometimes, the sort-of-aided DIY trips are the best. My wife and I did that for our honeymoon to Hawaii, and it made it all the better, seeing our research prove out to be best.

Enjoy the trip!

(And I hope you enjoy all of Kljestan's missed passes and lack of defensive workrate as much as we did with RBNY!)

Enjoy the trip!

(And I hope you enjoy all of Kljestan's missed passes and lack of defensive workrate as much as we did with RBNY!)

1. Thanks!

2. For better or worse, we seem to be embracing him a lot more than you guys did. The lack of defense isn't really a problem; our D-mids make up for it (except for Sunday's match vs. Atlanta). It beats watching Rivas launch shots into the stratosphere.

1. Thanks!

2. For better or worse, we seem to be embracing him a lot more than you guys did. The lack of defense isn't really a problem; our D-mids make up for it (except for Sunday's match vs. Atlanta). It beats watching Rivas launch shots into the stratosphere.

Not to keep this off-topic exchange going, but we liked Sacha until it just seemed his workrate disappeared. And Rivas has already all but vanished, hasn't even made the 18 in weeks now. Redding got one game, played terribly, and has been banished. Don't think he's even getting USL time.

Not to keep this off-topic exchange going, but we liked Sacha until it just seemed his workrate disappeared. And Rivas has already all but vanished, hasn't even made the 18 in weeks now. Redding got one game, played terribly, and has been banished. Don't think he's even getting USL time.

It's OK, my original question was answered and the thread has run its course so I doubt anyone cares if we're talking MLS.

Sacha looks painfully slow compared to everyone around him but I don't think his workrate has been a problem so far. I can't say I've been checking to see what Rivas/Redding have been up to ever since they both started vs. us in that crazy 4-3 game while you were resting starters for CCL. I'm not surprised to hear your comments although I'm really not sure what happened to Redding. I watched him play for the U-20's and he seemed to have some potential (not USMNT or world class potential, but certainly MLS) but then he just fizzled out. Anyway, it was known you guys wanted to get rid of Sacha (and his salary) and you're obviously doing well without him even though you basically gave him away so at this point it's almost win-win, as odd as that sounds.

GL the rest of the way (except when playing us). While I can't be rooting for other eastern conf. teams, I have a much stronger dislike for Atlanta and NYCFC.

BTW, I grew up in the Philly burbs and spent plenty of summers in AC and other parts of the Jersey shore as a kid up throw my early 20's. Only been back to AC once since moving down here in 2000 (for a wedding of all things) and it was still a dump but it holds quite a few memories.