Travel Guide for French Polynesia

islandwoman

Can someone please recommend a good travel guide for French Polynesia? I'm spending a week in Moorea (already booked), then sailing on the Paul Gauguin, followed by one night in Papeete. So I don't need hotel information. Just what-to-do information and dining information for Moorea and Papeete.

event.png

event.png

Good website is Tahitiexplorer.com. Theres a local lady there who wrote a nice little book on Tahitian islands. Forgot her name; it will probably be on that site. If its out of print, the Aspen library had itseveral years ago. Request out of state library system.

Ahoy!

I would also suggest Jan Prince's "Tahiti & French Polynesia Guide".

Either check it out from your library or it's available on-line for purchase.

I have the 5th edition which I purchased last Dec. The 5th edition is supposed to have more information then the newer edition according to a comment or two on the Amazon reviews. I purchased the guide on Amazon for only a couple of bucks for a used copy. The S/H cost ($3.95) was more then the used copy price of the book actually.

The original price of the book was $21.95 USD and I might also add, the book I rec'd was in new/prisitine condition and not used.

Here's a link if your interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Tahiti-French-Polynesia-Travel-Guides/dp/1593600364/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250974733&sr=8-3

Have a great cruise!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Bob, You're the second person to recommend Jan Prince's guide to me, so I'm planning to get it. But I'm confused about which edition you suggest. You said that you have the 5th edition, but your link took me to the 4th edition. Also you mentioned that the 5th edition is supposed to have more information than the newer edition, but I can't find a newer edition - at least not by the same author. Can you straighten me out?

I have the Jan Prince book - we sent her an email asking a question and she wrote back just a few hours later! - but it doesn't really address the Cook Islands. Any suggestions for books that also cover those areas?

Frommer's South Pacific

covers a wide variety of topics on each of the islands.

I picked up a copy, and although I have not yet toured the area, it will keep me anticipating the trip until January.

Enjoy your cruise

I have Jan Prince's 5th edition, and it was very helpful for our trip to the French Polynesian Islands.

I also googled the islands for shore excursions, and was able to find some very up to date info this way for each island.

Also, the information here on the ports of call is a great way to get the most up to date info.

You will love the French Polynesian Islands. They are truly Paradise!

Tahiti Explorer (aka Tahiti Forum) is a great site. Combination of past frequent visitors, newbies with questions, and both Polynesians and ex-pats currently living there, so their information is always the most up to date. Especially Poehere, Mahara, and Barbi know Moorea quite well.

You will get by far the most recent info on restaurants and tours from those who eat and play there very recently.:D

Archived