Hurricane Maria- NCL Sky Sept 22

Sunkissed Mommy

I reached out to Norwegian and didn't get a comfortable response. Essentially I was told the sailing still stands as originally planned. The Sky is going to the Bahamas this weekend. Typical 3-day weekend run. The Bahamas are under a warning for Hurricane Maria and she's expected to be on top of the Bahamas Saturday. I know they typically change ports with storms, but with so many unusable at this time, what are they going to do? I cant imagine that they are going to sail the Sky in to Nassau with a hurricane over head!

Maybe I am just panicking!?

I reached out to Norwegian and didn't get a comfortable response. Essentially I was told the sailing still stands as originally planned. The Sky is going to the Bahamas this weekend. Typical 3-day weekend run. The Bahamas are under a warning for Hurricane Maria and she's expected to be on top of the Bahamas Saturday. I know they typically change ports with storms, but with so many unusable at this time, what are they going to do? I cant imagine that they are going to sail the Sky in to Nassau with a hurricane over head!

Maybe I am just panicking!?

More than likely, you will sail but one or both ports might get dropped. Since it's not likely to threaten Miami, it will sail. Not what you want to hear but that is more or less what will happen.

Take a look at the storm track. It's pretty far east of the northern Bahamas.

I live in South Florida and I have learned that those tracks wobble a lot. We were supposed to get smacked with Irma head on where I live and instead it went west to the other coast of Florida. I guess that's why I'm being nervous with this one.

I live in South Florida and I have learned that those tracks wobble a lot. We were supposed to get smacked with Irma head on where I live and instead it went west to the other coast of Florida. I guess that's why I'm being nervous with this one.

More than likely, you will sail south and do a sea day if Maria will be too close to Nassau. Normally, this might be a diversion to Key West but that isn't an option. Not sure of the status of Great Stirrup Cay. Since they may evacuate it, my guess is you won't stop there the day after the storm. Likely, that would be the day you hit Nassau, if it is open.

Grab the Local 10 Max Tracker app. It'll give you the cone and the models.

I reached out to Norwegian and didn't get a comfortable response. Essentially I was told the sailing still stands as originally planned. The Sky is going to the Bahamas this weekend. Typical 3-day weekend run. The Bahamas are under a warning for Hurricane Maria and she's expected to be on top of the Bahamas Saturday. I know they typically change ports with storms, but with so many unusable at this time, what are they going to do? I cant imagine that they are going to sail the Sky in to Nassau with a hurricane over head! Maybe I am just panicking!?

The hurricane is well east of Nassau, not overhead. Nassau is not under a Hurricane warning nor Hurricane watch. The current weather forecast for Saturday in Nassau is Sunny and 90 degrees with a 20% chance of rain.

If you called NCL, you are talking to a minimum wage call center agent who can, at best, read what is on their call center computer. They are not part of the company's operational planning group nor the company's meteorological group. You're not going to get anything more that what is posted on NCL's facebook and home page. If you start grilling the call center agent, they are just going to start making stuff up to appease you.

The hurricane is well east of Nassau, not overhead. Nassau is not under a Hurricane warning nor Hurricane watch. The current weather forecast for Saturday in Nassau is Sunny and 90 degrees with a 20% chance of rain.

If you called NCL, you are talking to a minimum wage call center agent who can, at best, read what is on their call center computer. They are not part of the company's operational planning group nor the company's meteorological group. You're not going to get anything more that what is posted on NCL's facebook and home page. If you start grilling the call center agent, they are just going to start making stuff up to appease you.

So true! And sometimes the decisions are made on the boarding day or on the fly, errr sail. Like last year's non-Bermuda Breakaway!