Port of Tampa and Class of Ships

FlaGrl4Evr

Right now the Port of Tampa has the Legend and the Paradise. I am wondering though, what the future of this great port will be as the Spirit and Fantasy class ships get older and are phased-out of the fleet. Due to the Skyway Bridge, Tampa cannot maintain larger classes of ships.

I'm sure that the new Dream class ships will not work but what about the Conquest Class? Does anyone think there is a chance that Tampa may be graced with one of these when they do a change-around of ships and ports?

Just wondering, as Tampa is such a nice port to sail out of and the flights and hotels, are very reasonably priced compared to some of the other Fla ports.

I really hope that Carnival keeps this in mind when designing their new ships.

:):)

The bridge is 193 feet above the water and the Conquest is 208 feet tall... 182 from the waterline. She's not likely to fit easily. Just a bit off center and the whale has lost her tail!!!

The Legend is about 172 feet above the waterline.

:)

I too love Tampa as port and hope they continue to maintain the smaller ships that can sail under the Skyway. Also, we just like the medium size ships a lot better. No desire to sail the new Mega ships. I don't really care about rock climbing and playing golf on a cruise! Much prefer the smaller to medium sizes. Tampa is so convenient-great airport(best in USA in my opinion), close to dock, close amenities(Ibor, aquarium all very close). I have always preferred Busch Gardens over Disney myself and that is convenient for pre or post cruise. Clearwater and St Pete beaches are among the most beautiful in the entire world and I've seen a lot of beaches. Miami and Ft Lauderdale aren't even close. And the view leaving port and going under Skyway at sunset is unbelievable. Love it and hope to continue cruising from there for many years to come. Planning to retire in year or two to south of there along gulf coast. The most beautiful sugar sand beaches anywhere. I can't wait. Hopefully will be able to get some great deals on last minute cruises. That is the plan anyway.

Anyone who has never sailed from Tampa should give it a try- I will guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised.

Happy cruising to all.

Jane

Jabcruiser put it perfectly why my parents were snowbirds to Tampa/Brandon area for years my sister and I kept the home for several years after parents passed for the same reason. Alos it was conveneint to cruise out of Tampa only wish they could change the itinerary. Love the smaller ships also.

Jabcruiser put it perfectly why my parents were snowbirds to Tampa/Brandon area for years my sister and I kept the home for several years after parents passed for the same reason. Alos it was conveneint to cruise out of Tampa only wish they could change the itinerary. Love the smaller ships also.

I would love a new itinerary, also. It would be really nice if Key West was added and Belize dropped! If not permanently, Carnval could just do a couple of cruises to see what interest it generates.

My wife and I actually prefer the Spirit Class ships to those of the Conquest Class. My first-ever cruise was on the Miracle from Tampa and we are sailing on the Legend on March 18.

We hope that Carnival continues to serve Tampa with the Spirit Class ships but would echo the sentiments above in that we would love to see them try a different itinerary a time or two.

• 2 months later...

We hope that Carnival continues to serve Tampa with the Spirit Class ships but would echo the sentiments above in that we would love to see them try a different itinerary a time or two.

We also enjoy cruising from Tampa. Four cruises from there so far, and another booked for this November.

Last year, Carnival did try a different itinerary for Legend - there were several cruises (maybe once a month or so) going to Key West, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay. We were booked (in 5232!) on the one that was to sail on May 1, 2011. In late November 2010, the itinerary for these "special" sailings was changed back to the usual Western ports of Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan. Even though we booked ES, we were given a few days to change ship/date since the itinerary had been completely changed. We wanted to go to Half Moon Cay, so we changed to one (of the two) Fascination (in a porthole cabin) 7 night cruises to Grand Turk, HMC, and Nassau.

So, Carnival did give it a try. Perhaps, not the best they could as they bailed six months out, but a try none the less.

I'm so happy to hear such great reviews about the Port of Tampa!! Our wedding cruise is out of Tampa. We chose Tampa due to the itinerary and the fact that I wanted to book the wedding and Carnival didn't have dates opened up yet for ships leaving Port Canaveral (at that time). We live in Orlando, so Tampa is just a short drive, and I can't WAIT to be able to book hotel rooms for everyone flying in for the cruise.

I have sailed out of Tampa a couple of times, besure to go to the very top deck during sailaway to watch the ship go under the bridge. It's one of the things that makes sailing out of Tampa unique and it's worth missing dinner in the main dining room for if neccesary. :)

I have sailed out of Tampa a couple of times, besure to go to the very top deck during sailaway to watch the ship go under the bridge. It's one of the things that makes sailing out of Tampa unique and it's worth missing dinner in the main dining room for if neccesary. :)

I just sailed on the Paradise a couple of weeks ago and I went up on top for the bridge crossing. Just a note of warning: it takes about 2 hours before you reach the bridge. That gives you time to do some other stuff instead of waiting all that time like I did.

I just sailed on the Paradise a couple of weeks ago and I went up on top for the bridge crossing. Just a note of warning: it takes about 2 hours before you reach the bridge. That gives you time to do some other stuff instead of waiting all that time like I did.

Yep, it's usually about 6:30 or so when the ships go under the "Skyway Bridge". I too love sailing out of Tampa, and really enjoy the Spirit Class ships. I hope they're around for many, many years.

"SKY"

Right now the Port of Tampa has the Legend and the Paradise. I am wondering though, what the future of this great port will be as the Spirit and Fantasy class ships get older and are phased-out of the fleet. Due to the Skyway Bridge, Tampa cannot maintain larger classes of ships.

I'm sure that the new Dream class ships will not work but what about the Conquest Class? Does anyone think there is a chance that Tampa may be graced with one of these when they do a change-around of ships and ports?

Just wondering, as Tampa is such a nice port to sail out of and the flights and hotels, are very reasonably priced compared to some of the other Fla ports.

I really hope that Carnival keeps this in mind when designing their new ships.

:):)

The Sunshine Skyway Bridge, according to what I've found, is 175 feet above the water at its tallest point at mid tide. A Conquest Class ship maxes out at 181 feet above the water line... not gonna work...

:)

Archived