Ísafjörður - excursion or walk about

Radar boomer

Only a very small place but if weather OK very nice to walk around and surrounding area. We did a half day excursion to "forgotten village" which was fascinating and then walked around small village and surrounding area in afternoon.

I would really recommend the visit to Vigur Island. The island is beautiful and the family who live on the island are very welcoming. We had great weather when we visited and it is now one of favourite Cunard shore excursions. There is not a lot in the town, so I think that an excursion is well worth it here.

I would really recommend the visit to Vigur Island. The island is beautiful and the family who live on the island are very welcoming. We had great weather when we visited and it is now one of favourite Cunard shore excursions. There is not a lot in the town, so I think that an excursion is well worth it here.
If you have a walk around the village make sure you visit the new church. It has a fantastic bird mural made by all the congregation.

We took the Vigur Island excursion last year. It’s a nice partial walk round the island which is not very big and is farmed by one family. We saw Puffins, seals, Arctic terns, Eider Ducks, Black Guillemots. We really enjoyed the trip. Last year the trip included a drink and home made cake at the end of the walk. I walk with a stick and found the walk was quite comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi..this is one stop, sounds like small place, excursions are limited and seem expensive for the time...are they worth it, is touring around town on our own just as good..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

either Vigar Island or the deserted village of Hesteyri

We were just there 2 weeks ago on a HAL crossing. Loved it! We walked off the ship about 10 minutes to the tourist info center and found a great private tour group. We bought tickets for a minivan tour of the region, not much money, a couple of hours tour of the best of the region, lots of beautiful scenery, very relaxing. Got us back to the info center in plenty of time to make the sail away. A lovely afternoon. I think the name of the tour group was West Winds.

Hi..this is one stop, sounds like small place, excursions are limited and seem expensive for the time...are they worth it, is touring around town on our own just as good.

You need to get out of town (actually to describe it as a town is overstating it) as there isn't an awful lot to see - take a look on Google Streetview - https://goo.gl/maps/qMaekokBy3C2

I would recommend taking a look at one of the independent tour companies which offer a range of tours. When I was there two years ago I did a whole day tour which took in the Dynjandi waterfall and the western Westfjords.

It wasn't particularly cheap (£100/$125 per person) but it was an awful lot cheaper than the ships tours, done in a small 8 seat mini-van so no waiting around for that person to return to the bus from the toilet/gift shop.

It seemed rather pointless to go all that way to Iceland and just wander around a small village with some industrial units on the dock.

• 4 weeks later...