Ladies dress code help please!

LVaddict_27

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are boarding the Britannia in a few weeks for a week's Nordic Fjords cruise. We have two black tie nights, one of which is black & white. I do like to dress up, however ball gowns (i.e. dresses to the floor) are really not very me and not something I feel comfortable in. I will of course dress smartly but I wanted to know what else would be considered appropriate? Are midi length smart dresses more than suitable? Or are floor length gowns more the norm? Also, is the black & white theme always strictly followed/enforced? I have a dark navy dress which looks black from a difference which I was hoping to wear...

Thanks for your help.

Emma

Hi Emma

You will be absolutely fine with any length of dress, there are some women who wear trousers and tops on formal night.

I wear a mix of long and knee length dresses and dont feel out of place.

You can wear any colour too.

Have a Great time, we loved the ship.

On formal night anything formal goes, from full length gowns, to short cocktail dresses (if you've got the legs for it - I don't!), knee-length/midi cocktail dresses and smart day dresses (the kind of thing you might wear to a smart dinner out/the races/a wedding), as well as smart trousers and floaty/sparkly tops. Although a lot of people do adhere to the b+w code, you don't have to and no-one will look askance. My daughter doesn't wear black because it doesn't suit her and her, white clothes and food is a recipe for disaster. Go and have a lovely time - the fjords are stunning!

Totally agree with all other posts. I need to wear long and below the knee too as my legs aren't made for shorter length, but if yours are then no problem with a lovely cocktail dress.

Re the B&W - some do stick to that and some don't.

On our first P&O cruise we were worried to death if we would be 'ok' and remember walking out of the cabin door wondering if we would fit in. The cabin steward greeted us with a "You look very good" and that made us feel better!

We have since learned not to worry at all. Just go and enjoy yourself -- you'll have a great time.

PS When you come back can we pick your brains re the itinerary as we will be 'newbies' to the Fjords in April 2019 and will have questions for you !

The majority of people will follow the dress code on formal nights and I think people who don't always stick out. That's fine as long s you don't mind that.

On formal nights I wear different things: I've got evening trousers and glitzy tops: I've got floaty calf length dresses; I wear some full length dresses; and I've got a jump-suit which I wear with a silver cami and belt. I don't wear anything less formal than that. On my most recent cruise on Ventura I particularly looked out on B&W night to see how many people stuck to it. Well, virtually every man did (easy for them) and throughout the evening I'd say I saw less than 10 ladies not wearing black, white or a combination.

I'm not a long evening dress person myself. I usually wear evening trousers and glitzy type tops. The only dresses I wear are knee length cocktail dresses. I think as long as you wear something like that you'll be fine. I've always found most women will wear or black and white, or simply black on the B&W night.